Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It's kind of one of those trailers that gets you really interested and impressed until you realize what it's a trailer for, and then you become kind of disappointed, though.

I would much rather play the hypothetical game that I imagined titled "Goddamn Super Hero" than I would No More Heroes 3.

I'm actually in the same boat.

I was immediately thinking this was the Cuphead of 80s/90s cartoons. :laugh:

I'm not a good indicator, though, as I've never played No More Heroes so I have no idea what was happening the entire time.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Imported Dragon Quest I, II, III collection, and now bought Digimon. My Switch collection is quickly eclipsing my DS's in terms of library quality.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Okay, so it seems that my bro is seriously pissed off.

I think his way of thinking is seriously flawed, but I also think Nintendo is pretty douchebag to do this too. So here's the situation...my bro bought the generation one Switch, everything has been fine and it has worked perfectly. However, he doesn't like taking it on the road because it is too clunky and boxy for him (if those verbs do his complaints justice). He accumulated a bunch of gift cards over Christmas and decided to buy the Switch Lite at a good discount, but he has officially ran into a problem. For him to transfer over his saved game data, he has to transfer over his entire account to the Lite; extremely stupid if we both want to use the Switch at the same time.

Nintendo - deciding to take a page out of Micro$$$$$$oft - decides to milk it and put their save file cloud system as part of their online service. Twenty bucks a year is absolutely nothing in today's currency, but he's on a limited income, is already paying for other streaming services, and will not use any part of Nintendo's service besides the cloud feature. Personally, I thought it was a waste of money considering that the OG Switch and Lite pretty much function the same, however, playing a bit of the Lite it seems much better for the road and playing anywhere compared to the OG Switch. Is there anyway to overcome this or what I said is pretty much set in stone?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Okay, so it seems that my bro is seriously pissed off.

I think his way of thinking is seriously flawed, but I also think Nintendo is pretty *****ebag to do this too. So here's the situation...my bro bought the generation one Switch, everything has been fine and it has worked perfectly. However, he doesn't like taking it on the road because it is too clunky and boxy for him (if those verbs do his complaints justice). He accumulated a bunch of gift cards over Christmas and decided to buy the Switch Lite at a good discount, but he has officially ran into a problem. For him to transfer over his saved game data, he has to transfer over his entire account to the Lite; extremely stupid if we both want to use the Switch at the same time.

Nintendo - deciding to take a page out of Micro$$$$$$oft - decides to milk it and put their save file cloud system as part of their online service. Twenty bucks a year is absolutely nothing in today's currency, but he's on a limited income, is already paying for other streaming services, and will not use any part of Nintendo's service besides the cloud feature. Personally, I thought it was a waste of money considering that the OG Switch and Lite pretty much function the same, however, playing a bit of the Lite it seems much better for the road and playing anywhere compared to the OG Switch. Is there anyway to overcome this or what I said is pretty much set in stone?

No, that's the way it is. In comparison, Sony and MS give me free cloud saves, but that's Nintendo for you. It's the same basic online that the Wii U got for free BTW.

I get that Nintendo is trying to cut down piracy, but they are like the most unfriendly to gamers gaming company. Even with paid online, not all games will get cloud backups either, ostensibly because "piracy".

Reactions: Beau Knows

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
No, that's the way it is. In comparison, Sony and MS give me free cloud saves, but that's Nintendo for you. It's the same basic online that the Wii U got for free BTW.

I get that Nintendo is trying to cut down piracy, but they are like the most unfriendly to gamers gaming company. Even with paid online, not all games will get cloud backups either, ostensibly because "piracy".

When did Sony start doing free cloud saves? As far as I know, that's still part of Playstation Plus (along with any online play features outside of a few select titles).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Do people think that there is going to be a new Mario Kart on the Switch? I have Mario Kart on the Wii U so I never grabbed the deluxe version, starting to think it is about time I get it. Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of one coming out on this generation of Nintendo.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Do people think that there is going to be a new Mario Kart on the Switch? I have Mario Kart on the Wii U so I never grabbed the deluxe version, starting to think it is about time I get it. Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of one coming out on this generation of Nintendo.
MK8D still sells like gang busters so I doubt there’s one in the cards.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Don't Starve is shockingly engrossing for a game that I'm not entirely sure if I even like the core gameplay loop. I don't feel like I'm getting better at all with the game, but there's an itch being satisfied there with it while still fiddling around with the mechanics.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My brother has an original Wii and it seems like a hassle for him and his son to have to swap discs every time that they want to switch games. I assume that the Switch stores everything on its hard drive, but it might be tough to convince my cash-strapped brother to upgrade if he can't play his Wii games or if it doesn't solve the disc swapping problem. First of all, does the Switch play original Wii games? If so, can they be downloaded to the hard drive and does that cost much, especially if you already own the games (i.e. do you have to pay full price, is there a discounted price or can you even get them free)? Basically, I'd just like to know what it would take to go disc-less with his existing Wii games, if it's even possible. Thanks.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
My brother has an original Wii and it seems like a hassle for him and his son to have to swap discs every time that they want to switch games. I assume that the Switch stores everything on its hard drive, but it might be tough to convince my cash-strapped brother to upgrade if he can't play his Wii games or if it doesn't solve the disc swapping problem. First of all, does the Switch play original Wii games? If so, can they be downloaded to the hard drive and does that cost much, especially if you already own the games (i.e. do you have to pay full price, is there a discounted price or can you even get them free)? Basically, I'd just like to know what it would take to go disc-less with his existing Wii games, if it's even possible. Thanks.

It's not possible. Switch has no backward compatability.

If you want a Wii with no game swap, grab a Wii U and a USB harddrive and "do really easy things to it that can't be explained here" to have any Wii, Wii U, virtual console stuff for free.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's not possible. Switch has no backward compatability.

If you want a Wii with no game swap, grab a Wii U and a USB harddrive and "do really easy things to it that can't be explained here" to have any Wii, Wii U, virtual console stuff for free.

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad about the lack of backwards compatibility, but I'll mention the other option to him. Maybe he could find a Wii U for cheap.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Wow. That looks to be a lot cheaper than eBay. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Do you know if the controllers and sensor bar for the original Wii will work with the Wii U? Some of the systems available are missing components like that, but that wouldn't be a problem if my brother could just re-use the ones that he has.

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Wow. That looks to be a lot cheaper than eBay. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Do you know if the controllers and sensor bar for the original Wii will work with the Wii U? Some of the systems available are missing components like that, but that wouldn't be a problem if my brother could just re-use the ones that he has.

Shopgoodwill is good, but you really have to watch the S&H, and for at least the US, they use FedEx. which I do not like.

Controllers and sensor bar do work with the Wii U, but you'd have to get the adapter thing for GC controllers. Controllers - Wii U Wiki Guide - IGN One of my disappointments with the U, is that the gamepad is relatively unused. Can't remember which Zelda remaster shows a map on the screen, but the other shows nothing. And if looking for games, Wii U versions will be cheaper than their Switch ports.

Reactions: Winger98 and Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Shopgoodwill is good, but you really have to watch the S&H, and for at least the US, they use FedEx. which I do not like.

Controllers and sensor bar do work with the Wii U, but you'd have to get the adapter thing for GC controllers. Controllers - Wii U Wiki Guide - IGN One of my disappointments with the U, is that the gamepad is relatively unused. Can't remember which Zelda remaster shows a map on the screen, but the other shows nothing. And if looking for games, Wii U versions will be cheaper than their Switch ports.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Considering the gamble they made on the gamepad being a selling point, their lack of support for it was just baffling. They should have been resurrecting some affordable point/clicks (like Zack and Wiki was early on), things like Zombi U that really made use of it, etc.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

You can install a hack on the Wii that allows you to play games from a USB hard drive (depending on what model you have I think). You'd have to either dump all the discs onto it, or find somewhere you can download them online...

I totally get the convenience factor. I like switching between systems all the times so I have Dolphin installed on my HTPC and usually just play Wii games on there using a USB sensor bar and a cheap bluetooth adapter for the controllers.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You can install a hack on the Wii that allows you to play games from a USB hard drive (depending on what model you have I think). You'd have to either dump all the discs onto it, or find somewhere you can download them online...

I totally get the convenience factor. I like switching between systems all the times so I have Dolphin installed on my HTPC and usually just play Wii games on there using a USB sensor bar and a cheap bluetooth adapter for the controllers.

Hmm. I thought about an emulator, but I kind of assumed that it wouldn't work well for heavily motion-reliant games like Wii Sports. How is it? My brother has a Raspberry Pie, which Dolphin appears to work on, so that could be an option as long as every game feels almost indistinguishable from playing on an actual Wii.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Hmm. I thought about an emulator, but I kind of assumed that it wouldn't work well for heavily motion-reliant games like Wii Sports. How is it? My brother has a Raspberry Pie, which Dolphin appears to work on, so that could be an option as long as every game feels almost indistinguishable from playing on an actual Wii.

I've had issues with a couple games, so I just play those on the actual system - New Super Mario Bros. was one of them. Also 3rd party controllers don't seem to work well for whatever reason. But otherwise it works great.

I don't know what the experience would be like on a Pi, I doubt it would run Wii games very well if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->