Nintendo Switch #3: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Nostalgia doesn't have to be the reasoning. Good games are good games in any context, and there are at least a couple of legitimately good games on the NES.

In isolation, completely removed of nostalgia and on non-market-influenced value alone, I would gladly be willing to make a single $20+ purchase for just Super Mario Bros. 3 alone. That said, paying a subscription to be able to rent games on a continual basis rather than just buying the ones that are worth it does seem pretty lame to me in general. The Switch would be a lot more desirable to me if it had the Virtual Console on it rather than the online service.

Nostalgia colors everything. Old me can't get as hyped as 30 years ago me for NES games. Yeah, the games are still good, but I can play those old games on everything under the sun, it's the same reason I can't get hyped for FF VII or movie reboots...let it go, move forward, make original IP, please.

As for the Switch, that's part of it's problem for me: so many ports of older games and indie Metroidvania games out the ass, but older me (with adult me money) is also getting real sick of Nintendo's nickel and dimeing shit. It's a portable Wii U, but the Switch can't begin to touch what the Wii U offered in older games, re: the VC. On that end, it makes no sense, because the Wii U was a sales disaster, yet Nintendo is so guarded with their IP, they're worse than Disney. I feel like Nintendo does well, in spite of themselves.

See the "but it's only $20/year" online. It's still lame in comparison to what Sony and MS offer, and while those are more expensive (but year passes go on sale a lot too), those don't require paid online to do cloud saves.

If not for the Twitch Prime, I wouldn't have bothered with Switch online, and even then, I'm not going to renew. It's just some old NES games, cloud saves, but not for all games, and online play. Sony and MS at least give people newer "free" games, and if the Netflix angle is important, MS does it better.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nostalgia colors everything. Old me can't get as hyped as 30 years ago me for NES games. Yeah, the games are still good, but I can play those old games on everything under the sun, it's the same reason I can't get hyped for FF VII or movie reboots...let it go, move forward, make original IP, please.
I mean... you not being hyped for something anymore isn't a reason to think that those who are are automatically colored by nostalgia and haven't seen the light yet. It's just like anything else that anyone disagrees about.

Last edited:

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
we're not getting a new Mario Kart for Switch.... are we?
Fingers crossed next year they announce it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Two thoughts about the sequel to BotW:

- Looks like the Twilight Realm will be coming into play? Could be a great way to flip the original map a-la Dark World: no need to start from scratch and a great call back to Link to the Past
- I expect Zelda to be playable: she was pretty well developped in BotW (for a character you only see in flashbacks) and people have been asking for it for a long time

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
interesting no mario kart Switch. nearly 3 years old and no new Kart game.
Hollow Knight Sequel: ON IT.
Link's Awakening: yeup!
BotW 2: YEUP. (also Zelda got a haircut. cool).

my little irritant. they keep bringing all these japanese only games to NA, but never fire emblem.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Don’t care if the graphics are potato, preorder Witcher 3 for Switch.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully with Seiken Densetsu 3 release Nintendo will bring over Terranigma from Europe, no translation needed there, hope it doesn't take 24 years.
Not really promising, considering that Terranigma (a far superior game to anything in the Mana franchise, IMO) doesn't have nearly the name recognition that the Mana series does. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Terranigma is the best game people haven’t played.

Still I am super pumped about the Mana collection and how Trials look. That was a low key awesome announcement.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
LA is a fantastic game, just hard to come by in its original form due to it being a game boy game. . Absolutely deserving of a remake. I love the art style too.
They gave it for free with my Nintendo on the 3ds a while ago. That's how I played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad