Nintendo Switch #3: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I started playing Mario+Rabbids again and they’ve released an update now so you can access every mission/challenge from a single menu. No more walking through the maze like levels to replay and get the perfect score. It’s actually a huge addition. The game really is amazing. Hard to say enough good things about Mario+Rabbids.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Alas as this Black Friday approaches I'm torn the same as the last Black Friday a year ago..

Get a Switch... or a PS4 Pro?

And I don't feel any closer to a decision

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Granted I am a Nintendo fanboy but since buying my PS4 in September (basically 100% because of Spider-Man) I all already back to playing more Switch.

I just love having the ability to play a game while I have the Leafs or NFL or whatever in the big screen.

Reactions: CPTN71

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I think I'm going to give the Let's Go Pokemon game an actual shot.
My best friend has been giving it a lot of praise and I trust him. Seems to be a bit different than what I actually thought it was going to be.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My best friend has been giving it a lot of praise and I trust him. Seems to be a bit different than what I actually thought it was going to be.

How does it work? I mean, it's a remake of yellow more or less, but without battles? What's the endgame? What is the goal?
------

On another note, I was looking forward to Diablo on the Switch, but it doesn't look like it's going on sale this week. I know Switch games don't often go on sale for much, but it's kind of hard to justify paying $60 for it when the console and PC versions are like $20-30. Guess I'll just wait it out.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
How does it work? I mean, it's a remake of yellow more or less, but without battles? What's the endgame? What is the goal?

It's like Pokemon Yellow, but with updated graphics and mechanics. And some new stuff taken from the newer games like giving berries to Pokemon. From what I've seen, the only mechanic taken from Go is how you catch the wild Pokemon.

See below:

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Granted I am a Nintendo fanboy but since buying my PS4 in September (basically 100% because of Spider-Man) I all already back to playing more Switch.

I just love having the ability to play a game while I have the Leafs or NFL or whatever in the big screen.

I think what worries me the most about the Switch is the games..

Like after BOTW Zelda, Super Mario Odyssey -- is there really enough awesome content to keep me playing/satisfied?

And what I mean about awesome content is games that are considered essential.. not games that are lazy ports of old games, kids games, etc..

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Like after BOTW Zelda, Super Mario Odyssey -- is there really enough awesome content to keep me playing/satisfied?

And what I mean about awesome content is games that are considered essential.. not games that are lazy ports of old games, kids games, etc..

There's plenty of Indie games to keep you occupied.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I like “kids games” so I can’t really help you there but I think if you’re worried about playing kids games then you probably shouldn’t buy a Switch.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I like “kids games” so I can’t really help you there but I think if you’re worried about playing kids games then you probably shouldn’t buy a Switch.

Don't take offense to it, it was a poor description of what I was meaning. I wouldn't lump Mario games into it, especially with Smash coming out soon.

Basically, I'm just talking about legit name titles that adults will find enjoyment out of playing a lot. I don't mind indie games, and I'm sure there a lot of decent ones out there... but I don't want to get to a point where it feels like all I have left to play is an indie game with bad graphics.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
If you’re concerned with what games “adults” would enjoy and are worried about bad graphics then it really doesn’t sound like the Switch is right for you.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Alas as this Black Friday approaches I'm torn the same as the last Black Friday a year ago..

Get a Switch... or a PS4 Pro?

And I don't feel any closer to a decision

I have both and the best answer I can give you would be... what kind of games do you enjoy? I mean, PS4 definitely as more to offer. But, as I get older, I find myself being less and less interested in what the PS4 has to offer and more and more interested in the casual gaming that the Switch has to offer.

If you're worried about there being enough games for the Switch, I wouldn't be. I mean, you can easily put hundreds of hours into BOTW. Super Mario Odyssey was a great game. Pokemon: Lets Go is great. I haven't started it yet but Octopath traveler is supposed to be great. World of Final Fantasy: Maxima is a great game (I played the original on the PS4 and it was great). Super Smash will be out soon.

And honestly, the portability aspect is the best part of that console. I am getting ready to go to my in-laws for the next 4 days and after we finish our thanksgiving meal and are caught up, I will now have something to do for the following 3.5 days instead of sitting there doing nothing.

I would give it a shot. I am having an absolute blast with it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Keep in mind, the Switch is still very early in its lifespan compared to the other big name consoles, and the Xbox One and PS4 both had a similar lack of games early on. Also, third party support isn't as widespread as the Switch lacks the power of the other consoles.

If you don't think the Nintendo games and the (frankly fantastic) selection of indies won't hold you over, then I would maybe wait a bit.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I was extremely apprehensive about the game to the point where I had every intention to skip this until the 'real' Pokemon game next year...I'm extremely happy I decided to give it a chance once the reviews started pointing out what the game does well. The only question I have is how long the meta game will hold up once I finish the story, as the main game is ridiculously easy.

I'm also somewhat impressed in the game's ability to get me to care about an Eevee that can't evolve. I have soft spots for so many of the original 151, but Eevee was never one of them.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
------

On another note, I was looking forward to Diablo on the Switch, but it doesn't look like it's going on sale this week. I know Switch games don't often go on sale for much, but it's kind of hard to justify paying $60 for it when the console and PC versions are like $20-30. Guess I'll just wait it out.
There are still battles, but from my understanding (and what Butternubs pointed out) the only real main difference is how you catch Pokemon. You don't grind out battles in the wild trying to catch them, instead you use the Go mechanic where you just come across one and try to catch it without battling it. You'll still do battles with random trainers who you come across with. Other than that it seems to be a regular core Pokemon game.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011

I was extremely apprehensive about the game to the point where I had every intention to skip this until the 'real' Pokemon game next year...I'm extremely happy I decided to give it a chance once the reviews started pointing out what the game does well. The only question I have is how long the meta game will hold up once I finish the story, as the main game is ridiculously easy.

I'm also somewhat impressed in the game's ability to get me to care about an Eevee that can't evolve. I have soft spots for so many of the original 151, but Eevee was never one of them.

Yeah the more I see the reviews on it and hear about it from you guys + my friend kind of seals the deal that I'll end up picking the game up. It just might be a while since I just had to spend over $400 replacing a few parts in my system + having to pay whats left of my Spring tuition for school.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I absolutely agree. Eevee was always just... meh. A part of me wishes I bought the Eevee version instead of Pikachu. Although, Pika has always been one of my favorites. :dunno:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I have both and the best answer I can give you would be... what kind of games do you enjoy? I mean, PS4 definitely as more to offer. But, as I get older, I find myself being less and less interested in what the PS4 has to offer and more and more interested in the casual gaming that the Switch has to offer.

If you're worried about there being enough games for the Switch, I wouldn't be. I mean, you can easily put hundreds of hours into BOTW. Super Mario Odyssey was a great game. Pokemon: Lets Go is great. I haven't started it yet but Octopath traveler is supposed to be great. World of Final Fantasy: Maxima is a great game (I played the original on the PS4 and it was great). Super Smash will be out soon.

And honestly, the portability aspect is the best part of that console. I am getting ready to go to my in-laws for the next 4 days and after we finish our thanksgiving meal and are caught up, I will now have something to do for the following 3.5 days instead of sitting there doing nothing.

Keep in mind, the Switch is still very early in its lifespan compared to the other big name consoles, and the Xbox One and PS4 both had a similar lack of games early on. Also, third party support isn't as widespread as the Switch lacks the power of the other consoles.

If you don't think the Nintendo games and the (frankly fantastic) selection of indies won't hold you over, then I would maybe wait a bit.

Question about the online ... what do you think of it? I believe its no longer free right? Also, is it easy to find and play with friends, etc?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Also another question for anyone -- with Fortnite, I understand the graphics won't match the PS4/X1 but when playing in docked mode, is the game still as fun/good/smooth as playing it on a PS4/X1?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think I am going to be starting a BOTW journey and was wondering that because this game is open from the start, should I get a strategy guide in how to beat it since I might be overwhelmed? Or should I just go wherever I feel like since I know nothing and beat it that way?

Reactions: Pilky01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad