Nintendo Switch #3: More than 1 year later

Discussion in 'Geek Emporium' started by No Fun Shogun, Nov 20, 2018.

1. No Fun Shogun

No Fun Shogun 34-38-61-10-13-15

Illegal Ill Eagle
    An unspecified place on Google Maps, apparently
    Shouldn't be a surprise, but Rogue Legacy works well on the Swtich.

Man, it's really a Nintendo and Steam indie machine, and I love it for that.

Also, continued from here:

Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. Pilky01

Pilky01 Registered User

Not hockey
    I started playing Mario+Rabbids again and they’ve released an update now so you can access every mission/challenge from a single menu. No more walking through the maze like levels to replay and get the perfect score. It’s actually a huge addition. The game really is amazing. Hard to say enough good things about Mario+Rabbids.

3. CPTN71

CPTN71 NO SPIN Sponsor

Alas as this Black Friday approaches I'm torn the same as the last Black Friday a year ago..

Get a Switch... or a PS4 Pro?

And I don't feel any closer to a decision

4. Pilky01

Pilky01 Registered User

Not hockey
    Granted I am a Nintendo fanboy but since buying my PS4 in September (basically 100% because of Spider-Man) I all already back to playing more Switch.

I just love having the ability to play a game while I have the Leafs or NFL or whatever in the big screen.

CPTN71 likes this.
  5. Oogie Boogie

Oogie Boogie Registered User

I think I'm going to give the Let's Go Pokemon game an actual shot.
    My best friend has been giving it a lot of praise and I trust him. Seems to be a bit different than what I actually thought it was going to be.

6. AKL

AKL Registered User

How does it work? I mean, it's a remake of yellow more or less, but without battles? What's the endgame? What is the goal?
    ------

On another note, I was looking forward to Diablo on the Switch, but it doesn't look like it's going on sale this week. I know Switch games don't often go on sale for much, but it's kind of hard to justify paying $60 for it when the console and PC versions are like $20-30. Guess I'll just wait it out.

7. Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs Registered User

It's like Pokemon Yellow, but with updated graphics and mechanics. And some new stuff taken from the newer games like giving berries to Pokemon. From what I've seen, the only mechanic taken from Go is how you catch the wild Pokemon.

See below:

Oogie Boogie likes this.
  8. CPTN71

CPTN71 NO SPIN Sponsor

I think what worries me the most about the Switch is the games..

Like after BOTW Zelda, Super Mario Odyssey -- is there really enough awesome content to keep me playing/satisfied?

And what I mean about awesome content is games that are considered essential.. not games that are lazy ports of old games, kids games, etc..

9. Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs Registered User

There's plenty of Indie games to keep you occupied.

10. Pilky01

Pilky01 Registered User

Not hockey
    I like “kids games” so I can’t really help you there but I think if you’re worried about playing kids games then you probably shouldn’t buy a Switch.

11. CPTN71

CPTN71 NO SPIN Sponsor

Don't take offense to it, it was a poor description of what I was meaning. I wouldn't lump Mario games into it, especially with Smash coming out soon.

Basically, I'm just talking about legit name titles that adults will find enjoyment out of playing a lot. I don't mind indie games, and I'm sure there a lot of decent ones out there... but I don't want to get to a point where it feels like all I have left to play is an indie game with bad graphics.

12. Pilky01

Pilky01 Registered User

Not hockey
    If you’re concerned with what games “adults” would enjoy and are worried about bad graphics then it really doesn’t sound like the Switch is right for you.

13. Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay You had to be there

I have both and the best answer I can give you would be... what kind of games do you enjoy? I mean, PS4 definitely as more to offer. But, as I get older, I find myself being less and less interested in what the PS4 has to offer and more and more interested in the casual gaming that the Switch has to offer.

If you're worried about there being enough games for the Switch, I wouldn't be. I mean, you can easily put hundreds of hours into BOTW. Super Mario Odyssey was a great game. Pokemon: Lets Go is great. I haven't started it yet but Octopath traveler is supposed to be great. World of Final Fantasy: Maxima is a great game (I played the original on the PS4 and it was great). Super Smash will be out soon.

And honestly, the portability aspect is the best part of that console. I am getting ready to go to my in-laws for the next 4 days and after we finish our thanksgiving meal and are caught up, I will now have something to do for the following 3.5 days instead of sitting there doing nothing.

I would give it a shot. I am having an absolute blast with it.

CPTN71 likes this.
  14. Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless Most Displeased

Keep in mind, the Switch is still very early in its lifespan compared to the other big name consoles, and the Xbox One and PS4 both had a similar lack of games early on. Also, third party support isn't as widespread as the Switch lacks the power of the other consoles.

If you don't think the Nintendo games and the (frankly fantastic) selection of indies won't hold you over, then I would maybe wait a bit.

CPTN71 likes this.
  15. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge Registered User

I was extremely apprehensive about the game to the point where I had every intention to skip this until the 'real' Pokemon game next year...I'm extremely happy I decided to give it a chance once the reviews started pointing out what the game does well. The only question I have is how long the meta game will hold up once I finish the story, as the main game is ridiculously easy.

I'm also somewhat impressed in the game's ability to get me to care about an Eevee that can't evolve. I have soft spots for so many of the original 151, but Eevee was never one of them.

Gardner McKay and Oogie Boogie like this.
  16. Oogie Boogie

There are still battles, but from my understanding (and what Butternubs pointed out) the only real main difference is how you catch Pokemon. You don't grind out battles in the wild trying to catch them, instead you use the Go mechanic where you just come across one and try to catch it without battling it. You'll still do battles with random trainers who you come across with. Other than that it seems to be a regular core Pokemon game.

17. Oogie Boogie

Yeah the more I see the reviews on it and hear about it from you guys + my friend kind of seals the deal that I'll end up picking the game up. It just might be a while since I just had to spend over $400 replacing a few parts in my system + having to pay whats left of my Spring tuition for school.

18. Gardner McKay

I absolutely agree. Eevee was always just... meh. A part of me wishes I bought the Eevee version instead of Pikachu. Although, Pika has always been one of my favorites. :dunno:

19. CPTN71

CPTN71 NO SPIN Sponsor

Question about the online ... what do you think of it? I believe its no longer free right? Also, is it easy to find and play with friends, etc?

20. CPTN71

CPTN71 NO SPIN Sponsor

Also another question for anyone -- with Fortnite, I understand the graphics won't match the PS4/X1 but when playing in docked mode, is the game still as fun/good/smooth as playing it on a PS4/X1?

21. Gardner McKay

To be completely honest, I haven't played online with the Switch yet. I fully intend to as I have to in order to finish Pokemon: Lets Go.

CPTN71 likes this.
  22. Oogie Boogie

And speaking of the Let's Go talk...

23. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge Registered User

I hadn't even thought of that...I'm going to have to pay for that stupid online service just to trade Pokemon, aren't I? Groan.

24. Gardner McKay

Yes, unless you have a friend/family member near you. If you can be on the same wifi connection, LAN trading is still an option AFAIK.

25. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    I think I am going to be starting a BOTW journey and was wondering that because this game is open from the start, should I get a strategy guide in how to beat it since I might be overwhelmed? Or should I just go wherever I feel like since I know nothing and beat it that way?

Pilky01 likes this.