Nintendo Switch #3: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Having trouble getting into Stardew Valley.. just kinda wondering around, bored.

On the plus side it caused me to revisit Dark Souls and I played for about 2 hours today... it seems the game is starting to get easier/open up the farther I go along.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Having trouble getting into Stardew Valley.. just kinda wondering around, bored.

On the plus side it caused me to revisit Dark Souls and I played for about 2 hours today... it seems the game is starting to get easier/open up the farther I go along.
I feel like if you aren't hooked by Stardew in the first hour or two, its probably not for you. The gameplay doesn't really change or advance all that much as the seasons go on.

Personally, I love the game and binge it hard every now and then, but my interest tends to wain after the first year in game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Dark Souls....bah!

Stardew Valley is only for the hardcore gamer. You are clearly a casual. :sarcasm:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I feel like if you aren't hooked by Stardew in the first hour or two, its probably not for you. The gameplay doesn't really change or advance all that much as the seasons go on.

Personally, I love the game and binge it hard every now and then, but my interest tends to wain after the first year in game.

Dark Souls....bah!

Stardew Valley is only for the hardcore gamer. You are clearly a casual. :sarcasm:

I've only given it about a half hour or so.. so I definitely need to give it more of a chance. I just find it kinda boring and the controls in handheld mode feel awkward to me.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I've only given it about a half hour or so.. so I definitely need to give it more of a chance. I just find it kinda boring and the controls in handheld mode feel awkward to me.

Hey, I admit it's not for everyone. Absolutely give it another shot but if it's not your thing, you're not alone.

It is designed as a boring (or perhaps 'relaxing' might be more of a neutral term) game. I love it, personally, but if you're looking for something with action it's probably best to look elsewhere. No shame in that for sure.

Reactions: CPTN71

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’m still completely baffled by the absence of a true Virtual Console type of store on the Switch. Like, what exactly is the logic behind that one? Re-introduce it as a “huge” new feature in a few years on Nintendo’s next next-gen console?

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I’m still completely baffled by the absence of a true Virtual Console type of store on the Switch. Like, what exactly is the logic behind that one? Re-introduce it as a “huge” new feature in a few years on Nintendo’s next next-gen console?

Not to be "that guy", but I think they are drip feeding them out to give perceived value to the online subscription.

Although that may be backfiring on them.....

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Are movies based on Nintendo IP really that popular, and see UMD for how yet another format is probably a poor choice, but primarily, physical media for movies is dying: The end of Blu-ray | ZDNet

While I prefer physical releases for games and movies, (with games, you don't get much of a discount with buying digital anyhow, and I still have my Best Buy gamers club), but finding 4k Blurays is a tough go, but even then, the advantage they have over 1080p is slight, but for most people, they rather just stream it.
After the PSP failed to be a handheld physical media outlet I really don't see Nintendo even attempting this.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not to be "that guy", but I think they are drip feeding them out to give perceived value to the online subscription.

Although that may be backfiring on them.....

It makes sense for Nintendo to take it easy and slow on this. They went all out with the Virtual Console and they reached the point every business dreads: the end of the road in terms of growth. Nintendo isn't (and shouldn't) be making new NES, SNES, GC or Wii games: that is a very finite resource and a great way to incentivize people to purchasr their online service.

Managing that limited and highly desired resource makes a lot of sense. They pissed off people by cancelling the Virtual Console, they don't want to do that again.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
It makes sense for Nintendo to take it easy and slow on this. They went all out with the Virtual Console and they reached the point every business dreads: the end of the road in terms of growth. Nintendo isn't (and shouldn't) be making new NES, SNES, GC or Wii games: that is a very finite resource and a great way to incentivize people to purchasr their online service.

Managing that limited and highly desired resource makes a lot of sense. They pissed off people by cancelling the Virtual Console, they don't want to do that again.

True, but if they go too lightly (as it appears they may have, judging by the ironclad and time-tested metric of YouTube likes/dislikes), you risk having the opposite effect on the perceived value of your service.

It would be hard to argue with the value of a fully stocked (or at least a much more well stocked) virtual console library immediately available upon subscription, but yes that does limit growth. I think the growth part would (and probably still will, eventually) have to come from new value adds, rather than old.

Either way, I think there's a sweet spot for this sort of thing and Nintendo seems to have fallen short of that mark. But that's just one person's opinion, and not even one of a Switch owner so...take it for what it's worth. :laugh:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
All I want it to be able to play Super Mario 3 again on my switch. Is that out yet? Will it ever be out? I bought it on a Wii long ago that my sister's kids ended up breaking. I've been holding a well-hidden grudge for like 8 years at this point and it's about time to let it go.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Nintendo whiffing on another aspect of online capabilities with the virtual console being wrapped up with online subscription isn't shocking

I don't understand how they can keep missing literally every time something to do with online comes into the picture but at least we are always prepared

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
All I want it to be able to play Super Mario 3 again on my switch. Is that out yet? Will it ever be out? I bought it on a Wii long ago that my sister's kids ended up breaking. I've been holding a well-hidden grudge for like 8 years at this point and it's about time to let it go.

Super Mario 3 is available on the NES entertainment system app or virtual console or whatever they're calling it now. You need the online subscription though.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Been out of the console game for a while now and I'm leaning towards buying a Switch over waiting for a PS5 (I'll probably decide after E3), although man, it's close. I'm a little weary of the uncertainty of how it will hold up compared to the next gen and its certain absence of things like From Software/Street Fighter/future Fumito Ueda games, and Tetris Effect (I'll probably settle with the PC versions of the first two), but other than that, the selection and general spirit of the Switch seems a bit more compelling to me. Some of the perceived shortcomings, I actually consider admirable features, like the non-focus on technology/realistic graphics, the absence of things like Achievements, limited DLC, etc.

Here's the selection I'm eyeballing, in order of appreciation/interest w/ respect to buying the console:

Nintendo Switch
1. Celeste
2. Inside
3. [*] Into the Breach
4. [*] Super Mario Odyssey
5. [*] Breath of the Wild
6. [*] Breath of the Wild 2
7. [*] Metroid Prime 4 (future)
8. [*] Tetris 99 (with the DLC, can it be played w/o an online subscription now?)
9. Hollow Knight/Silk Song
10. [*] Windjammers 2 (future)
11. [*] Sayonara Wild Hearts (future)
12. [*] SNES games via Switch Online (future)
13. [*] Super Mario Maker 2
14. [*] Link's Awakening
15. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
16. [*] NES games via Switch Online
17. [*] Metroid Prime Trilogy (future)
18. Ikaruga
19. [*] Dark Souls
20. Limbo
21. ACA Neo Geo Releases/superior Indie selection
22. [*] Tropical Freeze

vs.

PS5
1. Celeste
2. Inside
3. [*] Street Fighter VI (future)
4. [*] Tetris Effect
5. [*] Superior media capabilities/future-proof technology
6. Hollow Knight/Silk Song
7. [*] Journey
8. [*] Bloodborne
9. [*] Dark Souls III
10. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
11. Ikaruga
12. [*] Shadow of the Colossus Remake
13. [*] Sekiro
14. [*] Street Fighter V
15. [*] God of War
16. Limbo
17. ACA Neo Geo Releases/inferior Indie selection

The Portal games being unavailable on either of these is..... odd.
The pipe-dream of the PS5 miraculously being fully backwards compatible would swing things in the other direction, I think.

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Nintendo whiffing on another aspect of online capabilities with the virtual console being wrapped up with online subscription isn't shocking

I don't understand how they can keep missing literally every time something to do with online comes into the picture but at least we are always prepared

It's $20 a year for the subscription, is that really a big deal?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It's $20 a year for the subscription, is that really a big deal?

I think I poorly worded myself and you misunderstood - the price isn't my issue and in general I'm not incredibly bothered because I'm an offline guy for the most part, I was just beating the dead horse of criticizing Nintendo's complete lack of awareness about how to incorporate online function to their consoles

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No, but I would argue the value isn't very good for your $20 either.

Then again, I never owned any Nintendo products until the 64, so maybe my nostalgia just isn't there...
Nostalgia doesn't have to be the reasoning. Good games are good games in any context, and there are at least a couple of legitimately good games on the NES.

In isolation, completely removed of nostalgia and on non-market-influenced value alone, I would gladly be willing to make a single $20+ purchase for just Super Mario Bros. 3 alone. That said, paying a subscription to be able to rent games on a continual basis rather than just buying the ones that are worth it does seem pretty lame to me in general. The Switch would be a lot more desirable to me if it had the Virtual Console on it rather than the online service.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Nostalgia doesn't have to be the reasoning. Good games are good games in any context, and there are at least a couple of legitimately good games on the NES.

In isolation, completely removed of nostalgia and on non-market-influenced value alone, I would gladly be willing to make a single $20+ purchase for just Super Mario Bros. 3 alone. That said, paying a subscription to be able to rent games on a continual basis rather than just buying the ones that are worth it does seem pretty lame to me in general. The Switch would be a lot more desirable to me if it had the Virtual Console on it rather than the online service.

True enough, but I find (at least anecdotally) that nostalgia is often the driving force to go back and play games this old. I'd wager the majority of people interested in the virtual console have at least a little nostalgia driving them back to their old stomping grounds, and the minority are new players.

That said, many of the recognizable games (even to the uninitiated such as myself) are behind some sort of time wall, which seems unfortunate.

Renting has its benefits for high priced games, but is obviously sub-optimal for cheap games or games with massive replay value.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
True enough, but I find (at least anecdotally) that nostalgia is often the driving force to go back and play games this old. I'd wager the majority of people interested in the virtual console have at least a little nostalgia driving them back to their old stomping grounds, and the minority are new players.

That said, many of the recognizable games (even to the uninitiated such as myself) are behind some sort of time wall, which seems unfortunate.

Renting has its benefits for high priced games, but is obviously sub-optimal for cheap games or games with massive replay value.
Personally, I've always equated that to general novelty, comfort zones, and superficial walls put up by new audiences struggling to get into older/more foreign/unforgiving things in general (which is true for any medium) rather than anything inherently to do with nostalgia. Nostalgia just seems to be the easiest unfair assumption to make for videogames because the medium is so young that anyone old enough to be likely to look past modern novelties/comforts would happen to have been around during gaming's inception and unavoidably have some childhood associations with it whether it would legitimately influence their opinions or not.

In reality, I don't think it's much different from how younger modern music fans are unlikely to appreciate the music of the 60s, how young book readers are unlikely to appreciate classic literature, and how young movie lovers are unlikely to open up to classic black and white films (many of which were masterpieces). It's just more obvious that appreciation for older things in those other mediums isn't simply due to nostalgia because the people who appreciate them obviously aren't all 80+ years olds who you could easily dismiss as having grown up with them.

For example, if we were kids currently living in the 80s, I bet a lot of the "music isn't what it was in the 60s/70s" sentiment (which is completely true, 60s/70s > 80s when it comes to music, IMO) would be easily dismissed as obvious nostalgia as well, even though, while that could have been the case for many at the time, clearly wasn't the case overall.

Sucks that nostalgia is even considered a thing, IMO-- muddies up our perceptions and our ability to take anything at face value.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So I decided to load up Dauntless on my ps4 to try it since an epic games co-op pve experience was something I'd be willing to try and it's already confirmed they're working on a port for Switch.

I have no idea how they're going to make this work for Switch at least with respect to the player hub. I would have though at least with how well Paladins and Warframe were made to run on the Switch and Fortnite being a lot smoother than it was at launch, then what I saw of Dauntless shouldn't be too hard. I mean the graphical demands don't look too high. But even on my ps4 where I tested the same free games I played on Switch with notably higher performance, the hub world is a choppy mess.

I don't understand what the need was to make the hub world so big when 80% of it is unused. Either way I can't imagine the Switch version is anywhere close if they can't get it together on the other consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad