Nintendo Switch #3: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Nintendo had by far the best e3. The only publisher/console manufacturer that announces things outside first person shooters and open world games.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Nintendo had by far the best e3. The only publisher/console manufacturer that announces things outside first person shooters and open world games.
The only thing I was disappointed with is that I don't think they announced a new game they are developing themselves other than Zelda. I was hoping that moving from a console + handheld to one system would lead to more frequent Nintendo game releases but it doesn't look like it so far.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
17AC9C0F-B157-44F8-B7BD-90E1486BD695.jpeg

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I never thought we would get SD 3 yet here we are. Not impossible
Im still in disbelief that it has actually came out. When they showed the remake I thought it was cool and all but as soon as they said the mana collection was coming I had the biggest smile on my face. That and Fire Emblem 4 are the two games I've always wanted official English releases for and it is amazing that one has actually happened.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Okay so after the past week or so with all the announcements and new info, what 3 Switch games are you most excited for ?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Okay so after the past week or so with all the announcements and new info, what 3 Switch games are you most excited for ?

BotW2: the original is quite comfortably in my top 10 games of all time even in spite of weaker dungeons (tbf I never really liked Zelda for its dungeon puzzles to begin with). Eagerly anticipating a full length sequel.

Pokemon Sword and Shield: I hate Dynamax. I figured maybe over time I'd accept it like I did Mega Evolution (which I still think was unnecessary) but the idea of making your pokemon grow to Godzilla sizes just cause the hardware now allows the series to do so. I'm all for keeping things fresh but this is so dumb and unappealing.

But that's my one gripe. Other than that the game looks absolutely gorgeous. The rest of the new pokemon could be a nightmare in monster design and I'd still be hyped to play this. When I was younger I always thought a fully 3d realized Pokemon main line series game would take away from the charm. I liked X/Y in spite of its dumb story and thought Sun and Moon was fine. Seems like Sword and Shield is realizing its art and design work to what they wished they could have done in Sun/Moon but was limited by the hardware. Sword/Shield isn't just the nicest looking Pokemon game to date, I'd say it's one of the nicer looking games on the Switch so far.

Fire Emblem Three Houses: I'll be honest though, I'm not as excited for this as I was for Fates as Fates kind of left a bad taste in my mouth with how it split into three "games". But I'm a pretty big Fire Emblem fan and it does look good. I'm just hesitant to let myself get that hype again because my Fates hype meant like 100 dollars out of my pocket for the "three games" and the DLC that I barely touched. Still though, in spite of no further gameplay it made me happy to see it confirmed that this wouldn't be Fire Emblem Hogwarts and the school part of it is just prelude chapters. That being put aside lets me be excited for the visuals and potential the series has being back on consoles again.

HM: The Witcher 3 if it doesn't run at 15 fps or lower. I can tolerate scaled back models and textures if it plays right. TW3 to me drew its strength from its storytelling far more than its visuals. Also I know it's not the best action rpg combat around but I honestly enjoyed the fighting.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Yep!
Just snagged Crypt of the Necrodancer and Hollow Knight myself.
Might look at getting one more thing :)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oof. The Switch I ordered arrives just a couple days after the sale is over, and I just found out that you can't buy games until your account is linked to an actual Switch.

Cadence of Hyrule looks fantastic to me. Man, I want a Link to the Past remake done in this style.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Oof. The Switch I ordered arrives just a couple days after the sale is over, and I just found out that you can't buy games until your account is linked to an actual Switch.

Cadence of Hyrule looks fantastic to me. Man, I want a Link to the Past remake done in this style.

Welp, it finally happened. I too broke down and bought the Switch so I'm officially part of team Nintendo I guess. :laugh:

Ended up getting it "packaged" from Best Buy with an SD card and a discount on the Pokemon Let's Couch game.

Went ahead and picked up Golf Story on the eShop sale because it looks unique and I remember really liking the look of it in the past.

The wife and I are looking forward to the new Fire Emblem (despite my lack of enthusiasm for Awakening, Three Houses looks really interesting), and I'm personally looking forward to Sword/Shield. Besides the obvious recommendations of Mario and Zelda, any other must haves I can't get on PC (or, even if I can, if they are particularly good for the portable format)?

While I find the size and portability very enjoyable, something tells me I'm going to want a Pro controller sooner than later for any docked activity or anything even approaching an action-oriented game. Do those bad boys ever go on sale? $90 Canadian seems pretty steep....

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Welp, it finally happened. I too broke down and bought the Switch so I'm officially part of team Nintendo I guess. :laugh:

Ended up getting it "packaged" from Best Buy with an SD card and a discount on the Pokemon Let's Couch game.

Went ahead and picked up Golf Story on the eShop sale because it looks unique and I remember really liking the look of it in the past.

The wife and I are looking forward to the new Fire Emblem (despite my lack of enthusiasm for Awakening, Three Houses looks really interesting), and I'm personally looking forward to Sword/Shield. Besides the obvious recommendations of Mario and Zelda, any other must haves I can't get on PC (or, even if I can, if they are particularly good for the portable format)?

While I find the size and portability very enjoyable, something tells me I'm going to want a Pro controller sooner than later for any docked activity or anything even approaching an action-oriented game. Do those bad boys ever go on sale? $90 Canadian seems pretty steep....
I mean.... I'm probably the furthest you can get from who you would ideally want to ask about something like that (especially the portability question), considering that I'm in the exact position you are but a week behind :laugh:

I've been obsessive compulsively marking down everything I'm planning to eventually get, though-- Here's the library I'm eye-balling:

Celeste
Inside
Into the Breach
Cadence of Hyrule [Nintendo Exclusive]
Super Mario Odyssey [Nintendo Exclusive]
Breath of the Wild [Nintendo Exclusive]
Tropical Freeze [Nintendo Exclusive]
Tetris 99 [Nintendo Exclusive]
Hollow Knight
Dark Souls: Remastered [Retro port]
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary [Retro Port]
Ikaruga [Retro port]
Garou: Mark of the Wolves [Retro port]
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Windjammers [Retro port]
Limbo
The Messenger

Not yet released
Metroid Prime 4 [Nintendo Exclusive]
Windjammers 2
Link's Awakening [Nintendo Exclusive]
Breath of the Wild 2 [Nintendo Exclusive]
Hollow Knight: Silk Song
Sayonara Wild Hearts [Nintendo Exclusive]
Metroid Prime Trilogy [Nintendo Exclusive]
Super Mario Maker 2 [Nintendo Exclusive]

Considering but probably won't get to and could live without
The Witcher 3 (my PC sucks for gaming)
Sonic Mania Plus
King of Fighters 2000 [Retro port]
King of Fighters 98 [Retro port]
Okami [Nintendo Exclusive] [Retro port]
Metal Slug 3 [Retro port]
Cuphead
Shovel Knight
Megaman X Collection 1 [Retro port]
The Last Blade 2 [Retro port]
Final Fantasy VII-IX [Retro port]

From the less obvious stuff, the ones I'm really looking forward to are Windjammers, Cadence of Hyrule (I have high hopes that this one might become a favorite-- looks right up my alley), Tropical Freeze, and Sayonara Wild Hearts.

Holding out hope for being good but looks like it might be bad
Umihara Kawase Fresh [Nintendo Exclusive] (love the spirit and concept of the original, but this looks kind of clunky and cheap)
Umihara Kawase Fresh! Any% Kawase+Cotton in 2:18:29 RTA 1:51:38.48 IGT (PB/WR?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I mean.... I'm probably the furthest you can get from who you would ideally want to ask about something like that (especially the portability question), considering that I'm in the exact position you are but a week behind :laugh:

I've been obsessive compulsively marking down everything I'm planning to eventually get, though-- Here's the library I'm eye-balling:

Celeste
Inside
Into the Breach
Cadence of Hyrule [Nintendo Exclusive]
Super Mario Odyssey [Nintendo Exclusive]
Breath of the Wild [Nintendo Exclusive]
Tetris 99 [Nintendo Exclusive]
Hollow Knight
Dark Souls: Remastered [Retro port]
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary [Retro Port]
Ikaruga [Retro port]
Garou: Mark of the Wolves [Retro port]
Tropical Freeze [Nintendo Exclusive]
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Windjammers [Retro port]
Limbo
The Messenger

Not yet released
Metroid Prime 4 [Nintendo Exclusive]
Windjammers 2
Link's Awakening [Nintendo Exclusive]
Breath of the Wild 2 [Nintendo Exclusive]
Hollow Knight: Silk Song
Sayonara Wild Hearts [Nintendo Exclusive]
Metroid Prime Trilogy [Nintendo Exclusive]
Super Mario Maker 2 [Nintendo Exclusive]

Considering but probably won't get to and could live without
The Witcher 3 (my PC sucks for gaming)
Sonic Mania Plus
King of Fighters 2000 [Retro port]
King of Fighters 98 [Retro port]
Okami [Nintendo Exclusive] [Retro port]
Metal Slug 3 [Retro port]
Cuphead
Shovel Knight
Megaman X Collection 1 [Retro port]
The Last Blade 2 [Retro port]
Final Fantasy VII-IX [Retro port]

From the less obvious stuff, the ones I'm really looking forward to are Windjammers, Cadence of Hyrule (I have high hopes that this one might become a favorite-- looks right up my alley), Tropical Freeze, and Sayonara Wild Hearts.

Holding out hope for being good but looks like it might be bad
Umihara Kawase Fresh [Nintendo Exclusive] (love the spirit and concept of the original, but this looks kind of clunky and cheap)
Umihara Kawase Fresh! Any% Kawase+Cotton in 2:18:29 RTA 1:51:38.48 IGT (PB/WR?)

A pretty extensive list for "less than ideal". :laugh:

I'll take a look.

The request for recommendations was more for the general thread, but I appreciate your efforts nonetheless.

I do remember seeing Cadence at E3. It looked really interesting.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I got my pro controller on sale but it wasn't a massive savings. I forget when it went on sale

In terms of games, if you like multiplayer and get Nintendo Live or whatever, Splatoon 2 is pretty fun. A shooter for kids where you shoot paint and there are some interesting mechanics that make it fun. The menu navigation sucks though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A pretty extensive list for "less than ideal". :laugh:

I'll take a look.

The request for recommendations was more for the general thread, but I appreciate your efforts nonetheless.

I do remember seeing Cadence at E3. It looked really interesting.
Less than ideal because I don't have a Switch and I haven't played the ones that actually meet your criteria yet :p:

And hey, I'll take any excuse to vomit out all the stuff I've been looking up/thinking about while waiting for it. :laugh:

If you haven't played Tropical Freeze, that one seems like a pretty safe bet too. It seems to fly under the radar compared to other full out classics, but it's pretty unanimously loved and treated like an all-time great.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Cadance of Hyrule looks awesome but i'm kinda over rougelikes at this point.

How unforgiving is it? The only rougelike i enjoyed was binding of issac but that could get super frustrating a lot because of being at the mercy of RNG. Is cadance the same or does it do stuff different?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Cadance of Hyrule looks awesome but i'm kinda over rougelikes at this point.

How unforgiving is it? The only rougelike i enjoyed was binding of issac but that could get super frustrating a lot because of being at the mercy of RNG. Is cadance the same or does it do stuff different?
No first-hand experience, but from what I've read, it sounds like the original Crypt of the Necrodancer is the really unforgiving/frustrating hardcore rogue-like one and Cadence is like a more Nintendo-friendly version of that. To what degree, I'm not sure. It does sound like it isn't for everyone and has a risk of frustrating those unwilling to really internalize the mechanics, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad