Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Loved the music in the forest kingdom. SMO just felt like a teaser to bigger things.

I was hoping when the game came out and I didn't know much about it that it would have a style similar to 64 and Sunshine. Where there is a main area and all the levels are accessed through that area.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
A lot of the moons seem to be just easy throw ins. I did like the Mushroom Kingdom touch though

Very similar to Mario Galaxy 2's "oh look, we hid a green star behind blocks A, B and C. Have fun collecting all 120!" side stuff. All of that to unlock a final level, and then a painstakingly difficult final, FINAL level.

Mario and end game content has never really mixed well imo.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I always felt that post game Mario stuff was more of "hey here's more of the same" as opposed to "hey here's a harder difficulty".

The gameplay in Mario games is just so damn tight that it works for me. I certainly can see why some people might be dissapointed when they are told that most of the game is post game (with Odyssey)

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Loved that, metro kingdom, the one with the dragon head (which had so much potential, and...nothing :huh: :thumbd:).

Loved the music in the forest kingdom. SMO just felt like a teaser to bigger things.

someone said it before, SMO felt like it was supposed to be a different game - but then Nintendo was like throw Mario skins on everything. It was a nice game but it wasn't... Mario.

I really wish there was more character interaction and not so much separate stories in Octopath. The characters themselves are great though.

There are - you have to get the right party combos to trigger them. (I just couldn't be bothered with the constant going in/out of the bar).

Thoughts on Xeno Blade Chronicles 2 or Octo Path Travelers as my next long haul game.

Octopath is fantastic - bite size action or sinkable hours depending on your time. but it depends if you like turn based RPGing.

as for me - i am in love with child of light.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I love turn based games which would be he allure to Octo but I also really liked games like Tales of Symphonia back in the day which seem to have similar game play to Xeno.
Looking forward to seeing what you choose and play. Im still knees deep in BOTW right now, but these two were my next buys. I have similar tastes to you.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looking forward to seeing what you choose and play. Im still knees deep in BOTW right now, but these two were my next buys. I have similar tastes to you.

I ended up going with Octo and I am loving it. Highly recommend picking it up. It's great because it is a big game but the chapters are the perfect amount of time so that you feel like you are completing things without having to give 4 hours of your life at a time.

Reactions: sa cyred

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Thoughts on Xeno Blade Chronicles 2 or Octo Path Travelers as my next long haul game.

Personally I preferred Octopath a bit, but then again I'm an absolute sucker for old-fashioned JRPGs. Xenblade is also pretty damn great, I'm just not as big of a fan of the battle system.

Between these two still needing to be finished and Dragon Quest XI still trapped in cellophane I need to invent a new day of the week so I can actually play my JRPG backlog...the one great thing about Octopath's narratives being set up the way they are is that it's probably the only JRPG I've played in years that you can just play for a couple hour chunks and not be completely lost upon returning a while later.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Getting used to motion control by tilting the controller is super weird. I tried out Splatoon and it looks like it's a ton of fun once you figure that part out.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
So I am late to the party but... Friday night my and some coworkers played rocket league. I owned this game for a while on PC but never really played it... Well, man I am super hooked. Bought it now for the Switch so I can play on my 65" TV and it's so much fun! I get so into the games.

Last edited by a moderator:

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I thought I heard rumblings about a new Switch with an upgraded battery in 2019. Is there any truth to that?

WSJ reported that there was a new switch coming next year, however nothing official yet but WSJ has a good track record so it's probably happening.

But if I had to guess...a bigger battery seems likely.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

I finished both games and I enjoyed both.. XC2 more so though.

Depending on if you like TV-gaming or handheld... I'd go with XC2 for TV-play and Octopath for handheld.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Octopath is very old school in it's gameplay, presentation and the stories (since there isn't, as far as I can tell, an overarching narrative that ties all the characters together) are rather pedestrian but effective.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a 21st century JRPG so it is filled the to brim with anime tropes and a pretty eccentric combat system (that is rather complex but works well).

While both are JRPGs they go about it very differently. I personally couldn't stand XC2, the anime stuff and constant tutorials to start the game just made it impossible for me to get engaged. Octopath was a bit of a letdown because of how weak the stories are but it's nice clean fun in terms of gameplay and the soundtrack is just outstanding.

This video sums up perfectly how I feel about XC2

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
WSJ reported that there was a new switch coming next year, however nothing official yet but WSJ has a good track record so it's probably happening.

But if I had to guess...a bigger battery seems likely.

yeah, that'll be a big selling point for me. I'm on the fence now, but my backlog of games is pretty big, so I don't really have a reason to buy one. If this comes out next year I'm basically sold. I really want to play Zelda, Xenoblade and Octopath traveler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad