Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Ah yes, who could forget timeless classics like Dillon's Rolling Western and Eco Shooter: Planet 530.

Nintendo's lack of new first party-developed IPs has been a running complaint since the 90s. They get away with it because their tent pole series are so damn good/iconic...but the quality over quantity approach has led to long dead spans in the release schedule since the launch of the N64.

Let's take stabs at smaller new IPs (Why are we doing that again?) and ignore all the new IP's that's actually has either sold a ton of games or being critically acclaimed.

We're not talking about lacking new Ips like Blizzard or Bethesda here... there's plenty of new IP over the past 15 years.

1-2 Switch, Arms, Splatoon, Labo, Xenoblade Chronicles, Nintendo Land, Wii Sports / Wii Play / Wii music / Fit / Party, Tomodachi Life
Nintendogs/cats, Brain Age, Style Savy, Art Academy, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pandoras Tower, Last Story, Codename Steam

And while the characters are old these are also new IP's in the same timespan: Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario & Luigi RPGs, Mario & Sonic, Mario Maker, Warioware, Captain Toad

I'm sure there's more but from a quick peak those came up. That's more than a brand new IP each year over the last 15 and again these are probably not all of them. Having a stable of so many IPs as Nintendo has, we're obviously going to see returning games of the most popular franchises ona regular basis over new IPs. But there's definately new IP's across multiple platforms.

I do however agree that there has been times where the droughts have been pretty bad. Especially the Wii U era outside of the year 2014 was dead and the end of Wii/GC eras.

Switch has been pretty good so far i'd say presenting a good mix of new IPs, returning IPs and ports of games that suffered in the Wii U Era for a grand total of 26 Nintendo published games.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Playing The Witcher 3 right now on PS4 and loving it. I’m very, very early, but it kind of feels like BOTW if it weren’t made by Nintendo. I’m no tech expert so forgive me if this is way off, but to me they feel Apple is to Android what BOTW is to The Witcher.

The Witcher probably has more possibilities, but BOTW just feels so much more intuitively designed. It just feels more natural.

Maybe I’m way off and I’m sure given 20-30 hours of The Witcher my thoughts will change, but that’s my very first impression of The Witcher.

The Witcher 3 is a narrative RPG with complex characters. BOTW is a sandbox action adventure with almost no narrative comparatively.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I’ll probably never download, but at least it’s one less thing for people to complain about.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Netflix or I riot.

(Honestly though, I travel out of town a lot and having netflix on the switch would pretty much make it the only entertainment option I need on the road. Wouldn't mind a twitch streaming App either, but that might be pushing it)

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Eh... I already have a tablet and a smart phone. If I want to watch YouTube or Netflix mobile, I'd use those and save the Switch's battery for gaming.

Reactions: CPTN71

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Switch is still the only 5G wireless thing I have so I'll take whatever apps they want to put on it.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
If you have Octopath, and plan on completing it 100%, do NOT go with the 'primarily use 4 party members the entire game and just swap in whatever character is needed for each section of the story' strategy like I did. Fair warning.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If you have Octopath, and plan on completing it 100%, do NOT go with the 'primarily use 4 party members the entire game and just swap in whatever character is needed for each section of the story' strategy like I did. Fair warning.

I'm only going through 2nd chapters and finding this out, the spike at times is pretty challenging. It is a nice change of pace from the typical leisurely stroll through an RPG.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I've got Octopath but haven't had time to start it yet. I also plan on getting Pokemon: Lets Go when it releases on Friday. I'm actually more excited for that game than anything in a long, long time.

With the wife and I traveling for the holidays so the in-laws can see the little one, I will have plenty of time to run through some switch games.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I've got Octopath but haven't had time to start it yet. I also plan on getting Pokemon: Lets Go when it releases on Friday. I'm actually more excited for that game than anything in a long, long time.

With the wife and I traveling for the holidays so the in-laws can see the little one, I will have plenty of time to run through some switch games.

I'm also really looking forward to Pokemon Lets Go. I preordered a month ago but I still don't have confirmation it will ship by Friday. Worst case scenario I cancel the Amazon order and pick it up at Best Buy or something. I'm not waiting the weekend and then the week after. Right now I'm hoping it's just a glitch in the system they haven't put in "Expected to arrive November 16th" or whatever.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm still trying to figure out my internet situation for Smash. I'm in Australia at the moment with my family and their internet is...how we say, not up to par compared to what i got back home.

No option to hardwire, even though i'm across the house i do get 2/3 bars. The best option seems to be turning my laptop into a mobile hotspot, which gives me a solid, non-fluxing 3 bar connection (or full i guess in the switch's case) at the trade off of a bit of download speed. With the laptop serving as a hotspot i still get 9-11 mbps up and about 3 to 4 download. I know how they said the matchmaking for smash will prioritize a stronger connection so i'm assuming the latter is better?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm waiting until the dust settles with Pokemon Lets Go to see if it'll be worth my
while...my love of Pokemon is cancelled out by my hatred of Pokemon Go.

I get this. There are some aspects of Go that I absolutely cannot stand. But, there are some that I found enjoyable, such as the new catching system. I thought that was quite fun. If the battle mechanics were the same as Go, I would not be getting this game. I'm not sure how I feel about the no more random encounters and having Pokemon roaming the wild. It is either going to be a huge hit or a grave disappointment.

From what I have seen, it looks to stay true enough to original form that I believe I will enjoy it. I am betting that next year they will do the same for Silver & Gold and Silver is my all time favorite Pokemon game... so I really hope it is a good game.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Finally beat BOTW. Took my time, got around 100 shrines, all guardians, explored every inch of the map. I’m one though that likes to play one single player game at a time so I could feel I was reaching my end with it (had a few games on backlog).

Overall was a fantastic game. I will say though that I found Calamity Ganon to be extremely easy. I died only once (right at the start at phase two, I missed getting the bow and had to turn around lol). I had prepared with maxed out cooked food, pumped my armor up, etc. Really none of that was needed. But in the end one of my favorite games.

Time to figure out what I want to play next. Thinking Octopath but gonna sit back and decide.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
So my kid (6) figures he wants a Nintendo Switch for Christmas.
I have no issue getting him one but what is the benefit to it when we have a PS4 and XB1? I see things like Fortnite bundles which is useless when he can play it as he already does or the games like Pokémon I don’t even think he would like. Zelda too out of his interest

Mario always a classic how many actual Mario games are there on this?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Depends what you mean by "Mario"

If you mean pure, core Mario games (as in jump, jump some more, find whatever you're looking for in the level) then Odyssey would be the only real "Mario" game.

If you mean games with just Mario in it, there's a bunch. Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart 8. And there's other stuff he might like, stuff like Splatoon 2. And then obviously Smash comes out in 2 weeks, so you could probably snag the kid a bundle with that for Christmas.

There's some benefits. The obvious being you can take a console level device with you when you go on long drives to keep him busy. It has games you will won't really be able to find on xbox or ps4 (especially an Xbox, what the **** is an exclusive?) It might also come in handy to have since i feel like the next generation of consoles is coming, and the switch is technically next gen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille