Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I thought I heard rumblings about a new Switch with an upgraded battery in 2019. Is there any truth to that?
There are rumours (or is it confirmed by now?) that Nintendo will release a new model of the Switch next year, so I wouldn't be surprised if an upgraded battery is included in it.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm considering picking up the new Switch next year depending on the price and new features. It's really the only console with interesting new games right now. I don't care at all about the handheld aspect of the device so I kind of wish you could get a cheaper non-portable version.

It'll be perfect when they have full cross platform support but it is close. Very well done game for sure.

I don't even know where they go with a sequel one day other than adding gimmicks, it's just such a simple but nearly perfectly executed concept. I thought a kart racing game would be a good project for them, there never seems to be enough of those.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Playing The Witcher 3 right now on PS4 and loving it. I’m very, very early, but it kind of feels like BOTW if it weren’t made by Nintendo. I’m no tech expert so forgive me if this is way off, but to me they feel Apple is to Android what BOTW is to The Witcher.

The Witcher probably has more possibilities, but BOTW just feels so much more intuitively designed. It just feels more natural.

Maybe I’m way off and I’m sure given 20-30 hours of The Witcher my thoughts will change, but that’s my very first impression of The Witcher.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Question about Octo Path? How did you guys play through the game? Did you do all 8 chapter 1s first and then move on to do all chapter s and continue that way? Or did you do it in a different way?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Question about Octo Path? How did you guys play through the game? Did you do all 8 chapter 1s first and then move on to do all chapter s and continue that way? Or did you do it in a different way?

I'm still slowing making my way through it, I can say that I did all first chapters before moving on to the second ones.

The level requirements between chapters jump quite a bit.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I played all of the first chapters before moving onto the second chapters...the suggested levels generally push you that way unless you do a lot of early grinding.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Playing The Witcher 3 right now on PS4 and loving it. I’m very, very early, but it kind of feels like BOTW if it weren’t made by Nintendo. I’m no tech expert so forgive me if this is way off, but to me they feel Apple is to Android what BOTW is to The Witcher.

The Witcher probably has more possibilities, but BOTW just feels so much more intuitively designed. It just feels more natural.

Maybe I’m way off and I’m sure given 20-30 hours of The Witcher my thoughts will change, but that’s my very first impression of The Witcher.
They're two different experiences. Both open worlds are great, though The Witcher's may feel more influenced by civilization, with sprawling cities filled with authentic NPCs. The Witcher 3 really feels like it pushed consoles to their limits with the size and scope of the open world while BotW feels more natural and serene.

And that's really as close as they get. BotW's narrative is very simple while TW3's is filled with context, lore, and cutscenes. BotW is more about freedom of choice, exploration, and experimentation with the open world while TW3 is about Geralt's place in the grander narrative.

I think they're both masterpieces in their own right with a slight edge to the Witcher for the sheer amount of content packed into it. BotW stays dangerously close because it's executed near flawlessly from a technical perspective.

Reactions: Pilky01

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
BotW feels way more organic to me. Love both games (built a new PC just for Witcher 3) but in terms of pure gameplay, I gotta give the nod to BotW.

Reactions: Pilky01

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia

I did all chapter 1s and then all chapter 2s. Now I'm finishing the stories of the characters I like the most, and once that's done I'll finish the stories of the rest.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I really enjoy Resident Evil, for some reason. Maybe it's just a guilty pleasure. But I'm tired of the constant re-issues of these games I've played on several other platforms. If Doom, Dark Souls, etc. can be made to work on the Switch, if Nintendo can make BotW on the Switch, Capcom should be able to put new RE games on it.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

I really enjoy Resident Evil, for some reason. Maybe it's just a guilty pleasure. But I'm tired of the constant re-issues of these games I've played on several other platforms. If Doom, Dark Souls, etc. can be made to work on the Switch, if Nintendo can make BotW on the Switch, Capcom should be able to put new RE games on it.

Same, and I'm also tired of the refrain that "yeah, they may be ports, but the Switch is portable!".

K, but I still don't want them over new IP (most of the time), and I don't like paying more for the privilege. For a system that has sold more than the GC, the lack of new IP and new 3rd party titles is starting to get worrisome.

Reactions: Winger98

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Same, and I'm also tired of the refrain that "yeah, they may be ports, but the Switch is portable!".

K, but I still don't want them over new IP (most of the time), and I don't like paying more for the privilege. For a system that has sold more than the GC, the lack of new IP and new 3rd party titles is starting to get worrisome.
I mean, Nintendo has had like one new IP in the last 15 years.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I mean, Nintendo has had like one new IP in the last 15 years.
Uh... no?

Nintendo is fairly diverse as a publisher and developer. It's just that most of the really big bangers tend to be from the same franchises, but that's not exactly surprising and most certainly not unique to them.

This is a list of all franchises published by Nintendo, ordered by their inception date, grouped by platform.

If we want to start in 2004 (since we're only two months away from 2019), you can start looking at line 180 (+5 games for the GBA).

That's 90 entries in a list that stops in 2015, so it at the very least misses Arms and Labo, off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: sexydonut

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
In addition to the typical NHL video game time sink, my friends and I have been gathering for local multiplayer.

It hasn't been this fun since the days of Mario Kart, Goldeneye, and Bomber man.

The games we have been playing are:

Nintendoland (especially 4 player Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing minigames)

Puyo Puyo Tetris
Broforce
Lovers in a dangerous spacetime
Death Squared
Overcooked
Snipperclips
Mario Party

Nintendo land is Wii U, but those other games are on Switch, and some available elsewhere.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Uh... no?

Ah yes, who could forget timeless classics like Dillon's Rolling Western and Eco Shooter: Planet 530.

Nintendo's lack of new first party-developed IPs has been a running complaint since the 90s. They get away with it because their tent pole series are so damn good/iconic...but the quality over quantity approach has led to long dead spans in the release schedule since the launch of the N64.

Reactions: Winger98

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm thinking of getting a switch. Would be soon, but I saw the comments about a better battery. So a few questions.

When is the rumored release date of the newer Switch ?

Do you need 4 controllers to play 4 people or is it set up that you can with the controllers that come with the game ?

Does it host apps like Netflix and YouTube ?

Are the controllers somewhat durable or better to keep it away from my 2 year-old for now ?

Approximately how long does a charge last currently and can you plug in a charge cord and play or did they change something with that ?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I can answer a few of those. I would peg the new Switch with the bigger battery as coming out about this time next year. I believe the only streaming app it has at the moment is Hulu. I keep mine docked at all times, so I don't know how long the battery lasts

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Ah yes, who could forget timeless classics like Dillon's Rolling Western and Eco Shooter: Planet 530.

Nintendo's lack of new first party-developed IPs has been a running complaint since the 90s. They get away with it because their tent pole series are so damn good/iconic...but the quality over quantity approach has led to long dead spans in the release schedule since the launch of the N64.
The Gamecube didn't have any droughts until its last year though.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
When is the rumored release date of the newer Switch ?

Do you need 4 controllers to play 4 people or is it set up that you can with the controllers that come with the game ?

Does it host apps like Netflix and YouTube ?

Are the controllers somewhat durable or better to keep it away from my 2 year-old for now ?

Approximately how long does a charge last currently and can you plug in a charge cord and play or did they change something with that ?

-As said, this time next year.

-depends on the game but the big hits like Mario Kart 8, Mario Party and probably even Smash Bros you can play 2 players with the 2 ‘joy cons’that come with the system. They’re very small to use as two seperate controllers but it’s perfectly doable. If you bought one additional pair of ‘joy cons’ (I think like $90CDN) then you can play 4 player with the 4 seperate joycons.

-So far only Hulu. There are persistent rumours of Netflix and YouTube apps and it feels like they could show up out of the blue any day but by the same token there are no plans and Nintendo has not expressed any real interest in getting those apps on their console.

-i can’t really comment on a 2 year olds disposition but I’d say they’re pretty durable. Also lightweight.

-it depends on the game and the screen brightness but you could play BOTW with good brightness for a bit over two hours. The only issue with the charge cord is that the plug is on the bottom of the system, making it sometimes awkward to play while it’s plugged it. You can charge it using any USBC plug. I have a couple charging cables plugged in at my various stomping grounds in addition to a small cable I have in my Switch case. I find battery life to be perfectly fine as I rarely play handheld anything for more than an hour or so. It does charge pretty slow when I use my generic charging cables.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

People aren't going to like this but it feels like the Wii all over again.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
-As said, this time next year.

-depends on the game but the big hits like Mario Kart 8, Mario Party and probably even Smash Bros you can play 2 players with the 2 ‘joy cons’that come with the system. They’re very small to use as two seperate controllers but it’s perfectly doable. If you bought one additional pair of ‘joy cons’ (I think like $90CDN) then you can play 4 player with the 4 seperate joycons.

-So far only Hulu. There are persistent rumours of Netflix and YouTube apps and it feels like they could show up out of the blue any day but by the same token there are no plans and Nintendo has not expressed any real interest in getting those apps on their console.

-i can’t really comment on a 2 year olds disposition but I’d say they’re pretty durable. Also lightweight.

-it depends on the game and the screen brightness but you could play BOTW with good brightness for a bit over two hours. The only issue with the charge cord is that the plug is on the bottom of the system, making it sometimes awkward to play while it’s plugged it. You can charge it using any USBC plug. I have a couple charging cables plugged in at my various stomping grounds in addition to a small cable I have in my Switch case. I find battery life to be perfectly fine as I rarely play handheld anything for more than an hour or so. It does charge pretty slow when I use my generic charging cables.

Thank you for the response!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad