Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I ended up picking one up Friday after work with FIFA & Mario Kart, came free with Fortnite too.

FIFA 19 AI seems worse than in the past when I was playing it on the Xbox 360. I don't know if this is true but that's what it has felt like. All sorts of weird plays, the commentary is so generic (probably because they hired commentators for dozens of languages and you get so many domestic leagues from so many countries).

Mario Kart is fun and reminds me of N64 in some ways while being an overall improvement. The courses do seem a bit shorter though.

Fortnite, wow I'm awful at that game. It took me 5-6 games before I managed to get a single kill. I couldn't reliably aim. I still can't aim well in close. But now I can usually kill someone, I struggle with the people who build fortresses while also shooting at me. I'll try to learn that but I'm not hopeful.

The Switch screen has incredible definition. I played a bit of portable Mario Kart but I think I'll keep it as a console on my TV most of the time. Maybe when Pokemon comes out I'll play more mobile. I know a lot of the hardcore Pokemon fans aren't happy with Pokemon Lets Go but it's the original 151. That's what the huge casual audience who grew up on Pokemon will remember. It's a big draw. It simplifies some things that I don't mind seeing go. It adds some weird stuff (like petting and hairstyles and stuff) but they're trying to get a new generation of people into it: the kids of the kids who grew up playing the original Pokemon games and watching the original cartoon. I think the co-op mode(?) I read about kind of points to this... a young parent playing Pokemon with their kid in a way they can both enjoy it.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
As I and others have said, spring for the pro controller, it's well worth it. The joycons are ok in that plastic shell thing that comes with the system too

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Didn't think I would like it, but I really like the small boards in Mario Party.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I bought a $25 knock off pro controller for the switch. Works like a charm.

I did notice though that I play handheld 95% of the time. Actually when i play Zelda on the TV, I get confused with the controls compared to handheld.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I can't play handheld at all. It'll be okay for like 30 minutes and then my hand starts to go numb from the weird layout

Mario Kart is even worse. Good luck trying to turn/drift properly with it in handheld mode.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
FIFA 19 AI seems worse than in the past when I was playing it on the Xbox 360. I don't know if this is true but that's what it has felt like. All sorts of weird plays, the commentary is so generic (probably because they hired commentators for dozens of languages and you get so many domestic leagues from so many countries).

How are you liking the game overall on the Switch? Usually I buy it for the PS4 but did not get it opening day this year and have through about going with the Switch for 19.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
How are you liking the game overall on the Switch? Usually I buy it for the PS4 but did not get it opening day this year and have through about going with the Switch for 19.

I don't have a recent FIFA game to compare to so it's hard to give a good opinion. Haven't owned a console in years. I can only really compare to FIFA releases many years ago on Xbox 360.

It's an alright game. Sometimes things feel a bit glitchy when you get near the out-of-bounds lines, sometimes AI reacts strangely when you shoot when they're not expecting it or pass when they're not expecting it. The announcing is awful and repetitive in English (British English).

I'm still slowly figuring out how to do things. I'm kind of struggling a little with their tutorial and how to do "fancy passes" directed at specific nets. I always seem to mix up the nets or maybe I'm not giving enough time to properly turn my characters body and shoot carefully.

Overall it's a decent game, it doesn't seem like they cut major corners but if I had a PS4 or Xbox One I think I'd get it on there.
Give it a few more years and maybe they'll work out the kinks for Switch and add all the features Xbox One & PS4 get.

I haven't looked into it but do they still have that mode where you can play as a team online with others? Remember NHL had that 3 on 3, 6 on 6 online mode where each person took a role. I remember FIFA having something similar(?) This would have been 5+ years ago. I seem to remember playing with people who posted in the Geek's Den in the past.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I haven't looked into it but do they still have that mode where you can play as a team online with others? Remember NHL had that 3 on 3, 6 on 6 online mode where each person took a role. I remember FIFA having something similar(?) This would have been 5+ years ago. I seem to remember playing with people who posted in the Geek's Den in the past.

Yeah Pro Clubs is what its called I believe. I think it should still be in the game.

Thanks for the input I'll likely stick to the PS4 for now.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah Pro Clubs is what its called I believe. I think it should still be in the game.

Thanks for the input I'll likely stick to the PS4 for now.

Yeah it's not bad but I would imagine there's been a decent amount of progress since FIFA 12 or 13 or whatever the last one I had was. It doesn't feel that way on Switch.

It's possible I'm learning controls on a new console and EA has changed controls and sensitivity over the years and that's part of the problem but I don't think that's all of it. Go with PS4/Xbox One (I know you have a PS4 but for anyone reading who has an Xbox One too).

Reactions: robertmac43

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
im way behind in technology, im guessing microsoft does it by default but i noticed the switch controller is just plug and play on windows. pretty sweet. (since its the only console in the house)

would love to hear more fifa reviews on switch. im more of a sports fan, which im guess its not exactly the best console but so far enjoying everything ive played.

and just to confirm; only one account can access the online thing?

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Buy last year's FIFA for dirt cheap. I got FIFA 18 for PS4 off the PSN store for like $9.

I am certain I have seen FIFA 18 on sale on the eShop for like $15. Totally worth it.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Buy last year's FIFA for dirt cheap. I got FIFA 18 for PS4 off the PSN store for like $9.

I am certain I have seen FIFA 18 on sale on the eShop for like $15. Totally worth it.
I grabbed Fifa 18 cheap for PS4 as well and it is definitely worth it. I play the GM mode mostly, and that is lacking in features (quite a bit) but I enjoy the game play & the team management parts (even if I wish it was deeper).

I'd probably be disappointed with how shallow the GM side is if I paid full price. At 15 bucks I paid? Great value.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
If EA could just go ahead and release 'lite' versions of their annual sports games that only have updated graphics, rosters, stadiums, presentation, etc...but leaves out all the career, be a pro and story mode kind of stuff I would love it.

I am still a very "old school" gamer when it comes to sports games. I just want it to look and feel authentic while I am playing a game with my favourite team. I don't need any of the other bells and whistles. I don't touch 90% of the content in today's sports games.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
If EA could just go ahead and release 'lite' versions of their annual sports games that only have updated graphics, rosters, stadiums, presentation, etc...but leaves out all the career, be a pro and story mode kind of stuff I would love it.

I am still a very "old school" gamer when it comes to sports games. I just want it to look and feel authentic while I am playing a game with my favourite team. I don't need any of the other bells and whistles. I don't touch 90% of the content in today's sports games.

Totally agree. I play franchise only in every sports game and would love this.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Any reviews on Mario Party?

It's really good. 80 brand new mini games, lots of content. Feels very polished.
Best one in many years IMO.

However, the online aspect is a bit lack luster... hopefully they will add more content or the possibility to actually play the boards online and not just a select 10 mini games.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

a lot of the reviews i've seen say that it's underwhelming. so it's def. a game that's okay or just... not worth. i'm glad i returned it

am going to get child of light. i thought there'd be a physical copy but looks like a digital copy is the way for me.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

That's the kind of game that probably defies the concept of reviews.

All the Mario Party games are good fun with friends, some might be better than others but I have a hard time imagining a review that comes away with something different from "this is a great way to spend time with friends"

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just beat Odyssey's main story. Got to the mushroom kingdom and was hit with a massive wave of nostalgia. The Mario 64 look and the paintings is an amazing touch!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So now that I'm in post game I hear there is a lot to do. Without spoiling anything whats the best plan of action in post game MArio? Just go back and collect all the Moons you can?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
So now that I'm in post game I hear there is a lot to do. Without spoiling anything whats the best plan of action in post game MArio? Just go back and collect all the Moons you can?

Pretty much. There's the Luigi balloon thing as well. Think I quit around 450 moons and about 5000 coins.

I just can't see myself powering through to 999 or getting enough coins to get the skeleton outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->