Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Playing Risk of Rain a lot today. Took a moment to get used to not playing on a keyboard, but still phenomenal. Going to sink a lot of time into that on the Switch in the upcoming years.

Between Breath of the Wild, Risk of Rain, and Okami (though I haven't played the downloaded Switch port yet), I now have three of my top six favorite games of all time on the machine. Dece.

DO people play more in handheld mode or docked? Just wondering.

I tend to play handheld more often, but I prefer playing as a traditional console.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I might have spent a grand total of one hour playing handheld ever since I have bought my Switch.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I play pretty close to 50/50 docked vs undocked. It depends a lot on the game. I hate playing BOTW handheld because it just feels too small, whereas Stardew Valley I have played almost 100% handheld.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That's the thing, I used to hate handheld, but then something clicked, so BotW and Risk of Rain were just fine for me, though I still prefered pro controlling it up, but Mario Odyssey was practically unplayable for me as a handheld.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That's the thing, I used to hate handheld, but then something clicked, so BotW and Risk of Rain were just fine for me, though I still prefered pro controlling it up, but Mario Odyssey was practically unplayable for me as a handheld.

Mario Odyssey is what finally made me buy a pro controller. Some of the platforming got very frustrating using the joycons.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Not at all surprised given Nintendo's track record of essentially rereleased essentially every single handheld device they've ever released with updated versions at some point, but that being said I was a worried with what they were going to do with say BotW2 on the hardware after seeing the game apparently churn at some points with the original, so I am a tad worried if later Switch games come out optimized for the newer model Switches and don't run as well on the older model ones. The article specially makes it sound like it's not a Switch 1.5 or anything, but more cosmetic- and battery-related, so that's at least not a concern regarding my earlier point. A more ergonomic Switch would be intriguing, but wouldn't be on my buy list.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Overcooked is 50% off on the eShop.
From the bit of gameplay I have seen it looks fun.
Anyone recommend it?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Not at all surprised given Nintendo's track record of essentially rereleased essentially every single handheld device they've ever released with updated versions at some point, but that being said I was a worried with what they were going to do with say BotW2 on the hardware after seeing the game apparently churn at some points with the original, so I am a tad worried if later Switch games come out optimized for the newer model Switches and don't run as well on the older model ones. The article specially makes it sound like it's not a Switch 1.5 or anything, but more cosmetic- and battery-related, so that's at least not a concern regarding my earlier point. A more ergonomic Switch would be intriguing, but wouldn't be on my buy list.

I found this to be a concern that came true with the 3DS vs the new 3DS.

However, if the rumours are accurate, it seems like they are mostly focused on battery life and display quality....but, as always, time will tell.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Overcooked is absolutely chaotic fun if you have someone to play with. My friend and i played both and we had a blast. Just be warned, it has the friendship killing power that Mario Party has.

I just bought myself one of those wireless adapters that let you use any bluetooth controller on your switch. So handy and cheaper because **** paying 100 bucks with tax for the pro controller here. The only downside is the buttons are inversed. Since A on the switch controller is where B or circle on other current gen controllers. Not a huge deal for me since i'm used to flipping between different button layouts due to flipping between ps3 and 360 last gen for the NHL games. Same button function, just a different label essentially.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I just bought myself one of those wireless adapters that let you use any bluetooth controller on your switch

Where did you find this? I was recently thinking I have to get out and buy a pro controller but this sounds amazing.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
as i use my switch docked, unless this new switch is coming with a way to transfer saves and it has new space, i don't see the point

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Where did you find this? I was recently thinking I have to get out and buy a pro controller but this sounds amazing.

I can confirm 100% it works. If you have a PS4 controller, you even get the gyro control stuff. Xbox obviously not, but it still works really well.

You can even use it with your other consoles as well.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I have a question: Anyone here have a primary/non-primary system of Switch devices? If I want to play Mario Kart and family member using a non-primary account is playing FIFA 19... would they be stopped from playing when I boot up Mario Kart?

A follow up: If I buy physical games, can they be given to family/friends to avoid the primary/non-primary system entirely (do the physical cartridges stay unlinked from the devices?).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
A follow up: If I buy physical games, can they be given to family/friends to avoid the primary/non-primary system entirely (do the physical cartridges stay unlinked from the devices?).

Just building off this question. I'm still deciding if I go physical game or downloading with my Switch. so far I have BoTW as a hard copy and then I downloaded Mario Odyssey. Which way hove most people been doing it?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I've been going mostly digital. I have BOTW/Odyssey in hard copy since i bought it with my switch. The rest of my games (Splatoon/Hyrule Warriors/Dead Cells/MK8) are all downloaded.

It's mostly because i'm leaving for overseas (Australia to chill/work with family for a year) and i really don't feel like lugging a whole library of games with me. :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
DO people play more in handheld mode or docked? Just wondering.

I was expecting to play it in handheld mode a ton more than I have...I basically only have it in handheld mode when I travel, otherwise it's docked. I largely blame the controls; the pro controller is an actual controller and the joycons are...unpleasant.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I was expecting to play it in handheld mode a ton more than I have...I basically only have it in handheld mode when I travel, otherwise it's docked. I largely blame the controls; the pro controller is an actual controller and the joycons are...unpleasant.

they really are. i didn't mind them at first but then it just... hurt a lot. even when i bought the ergonomic grips they aren't the most comfy.
i actually gave back mario party because it's joy con heavy which is a bummer.

what is also weird is that Child of Light comes out this week there is NOTHING. it's not even on the eshop for a pre-purchase.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Doing a beach vacation in Jamaica starting Wed. What game should I pick up? Past vacations did BOTW, Mario, and Donkey Kong....any recommendations? Thinking Mega Man 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->