Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So the Pokemon game has stuff like play with your Pokemon and dress it up - can I ignore that part of the game if it's not my thing and play it like the old Gameboy versions (red, blue, crystal, etc...)?

Debating ordering a Switch and Pokemon is a big reason why.
Yeah that's mostly fluff, though I think there aren't wild pokemon battles either.

If you're looking for a true Pokémon experience I believe the next generation is set to debut in 2019.

Reactions: Daxi

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So playing BOTW... enjoying it immensely. Feeling quite abit overwhelmed though because there are so much to do (and used to the old games where it is more linear). What would people suggest is the best way to play? Just run around and do random things? Make way to the guardian areas (and investigate everything of course along the way)? Should I be looking to really complete every side quest also?

I am completing every shrine that I find, should I go out of my way to complete them all first before doing the guardians? I really don't want to use any walk-through or guides.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So playing BOTW... enjoying it immensely. Feeling quite abit overwhelmed though because there are so much to do (and used to the old games where it is more linear). What would people suggest is the best way to play? Just run around and do random things? Make way to the guardian areas (and investigate everything of course along the way)? Should I be looking to really complete every side quest also?

I am completing every shrine that I find, should I go out of my way to complete them all first before doing the guardians? I really don't want to use any walk-through or guides.
There's no real right or wrong way to play BOTW, though completing shrines helps a ton.

Reactions: sa cyred

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Follow the story/trail from the Plateau, to Kakariko, and to Hateno. From there do whatever you want, but absolutely focus on shrines.

Of the 4 Guardians the one in the west/northwest gives you the most useful powerup.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

I found some of the guardians to be terribly frustrating without guides. But past that, the best way to experience the game is blind.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Maybe it's just personal preference but Paladins is vastly superior, despite its own flaws, to arena of Valor.

The latter is so clunky and imbalanced (it I get to pick the starting hero I'm guaranteed to be OP)

I'm glad more quality freeware is available but AoV is pretty far behind Fortnite and Paladins.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly i loved the divine beast dungeons in BOTW. Their simple design on the inside, but housing complex, multiple ways to tackle them. The Goron one i thought was very clever with some of the little puzzles.

The only one that give me a bit of trouble was the water one. I'm also 95% sure i totally cheesed one of the terminals (the one in that spinning chamber) by mashing on the A button when it was at just the right spot where i could interact with it, since i got murdered by the spikes in said chamber right after. :laugh:

That game was such a sorely needed breath of fresh air for the franchise. I like to theorize that Link Between Worlds was the testing ground since it too was very open ended in terms of how you wanted to tackle stuff. Once they seen it worked well in that game, they decided to go all in with it for BOTW.

I just wish the DLC wasn't so boring.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah that's mostly fluff, though I think there aren't wild pokemon battles either.

If you're looking for a true Pokémon experience I believe the next generation is set to debut in 2019.

Ah thanks, I got home so I'm reading a bit more now and yeah you're right. Looks kind of like Pokemon Go. I don't mind the no wild battles as long as they balance the trainer fights and other things a little better. I'm more concerned about the having to play/pet your Pokemon and 'dressing them up'... if that helps level up your Pokemon or anything like that. Or if I can bypass that and play it.

Personally I had trouble keeping up in Pokemon. Beyond 250 Pokemon I kind of lost interest. I can't say for sure that's entirely it because around the same time I started playing other games, mostly on Xbox and PC but I do think it's hard to remember hundreds and hundreds of Pokemon in different regions where many are re-hashes of the originals with slight changes.

I'm kind of more of a PC game guy and I used to play a lot of FPS on the old Xbox consoles as well... I tend to enjoy multiplayer but I don't really have that same time I did in university and highschool so I'm kind of looking at the handhelds and Switch for nostalgia games like Pokemon, Zelda and others. Hopefully the thing will have some decent multiplayer options for some games as well.

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Pretty much, just do whatever is fun honestly.

I loved doing the shrine puzzles, so I would just explore the world and complete the shrines as I encountered them.

The one piece of advice I would like to have given myself is that there are plenty of things you will see from afar and my instinct was to get there as quickly/directly as possible. However, by doing this you miss out on a lot of cool hidden things in the world so I guess when you do encounter something like that, mark it as more of a direction you want to get to eventually than "setting your GPS" to a POI.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I was totally unhyped for BOTW. I hated Skyward Sword and disliked Twilight Princess so I had fully given up on 3D Zelda.

Once it started getting unanimous 10’s I had to try it so I bought it for Wii U. After a few days I knew it was something special and so bought a Switch along with the game less than a week later.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Thanks everyone. Again, loving it. One of my favorite games I have played in a long long time. I know the world has SO much to show, just wanted to make sure I dont miss anything.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Welp, guess I am going to pay for Nintendo online after all.

I love holiday themed shit in videogames! This looks awesome!

Last edited:

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY

8It98le.gif

Reactions: Pilky01

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Only reason I got the online service is to play Mario Tennis online. The NES games are awful.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Is this game any good?
Adventure mode is terrible, I enjoy playing online, and the developers has done a great job with the patches.

Personally wouldn’t spend more than $35~$40 on it though.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Just as a heads up, if you bought an online subscription, you should be getting an email with a code to download the online subscriber-exclusive Splatoon 2 gear.

WTF?

Why wouldn't it just be in the game? You can't play 90% of that game without online connectivity to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad