Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Only problem I have with SV is that there hasn't really been any updates.

There were a few right after launch, but it was mostly performance stuff. The transition to the next day took forever when it first launched.

I can't think of any updated SV would need, but then I haven't played it anywhere but Switch so I don't know what else I might have missed.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I still need to actually play SV, I bought it earlier in the year and haven't really done much with it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
s0j8o38890n11.jpg

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I seriously doubt that. It's only 4-5 bucks a month and like, 20-25 for the whole year.

If kids can get mommy and daddy to shell out for Fortnite skins/other online services like Live/PS+ i don't forsee a huge dropoff in switch's online.

That being said imo it's still stupidly implemented/handled.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Okay so I need some help from all of you Switch savy people.

Finally in a solid position to buy a Switch (just finished Uni so I have more money and time) and have some questions. For starters I was thinking about making this the first system of mine where I go digital games only. I like the idea of having my full collection of games on me at all times; would people have suggestions on SD cards for the system? Second question, what extra aspects of the device are worth looking into; cases, controllers, etc. Would love some feedback on the controllers schemes and if it is worth getting a pro controller. Final question where do I start when it comes to Titles? I have been thinking either BotW or Odyssey with Hollow knight on the side.

Overall would love some feedback on things.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Okay so I need some help from all of you Switch savy people.

Finally in a solid position to buy a Switch (just finished Uni so I have more money and time) and have some questions. For starters I was thinking about making this the first system of mine where I go digital games only. I like the idea of having my full collection of games on me at all times; would people have suggestions on SD cards for the system? Second question, what extra aspects of the device are worth looking into; cases, controllers, etc. Would love some feedback on the controllers schemes and if it is worth getting a pro controller. Final question where do I start when it comes to Titles? I have been thinking either BotW or Odyssey with Hollow knight on the side.

Overall would love some feedback on things.

-I have a 32gb (or maybe 64, I cant remember) micro SD card in my Switch. Apparently SanDisk is the way to go.
-I am mostly digital, but own a couple physical editions.
-A case is absolutely neccesary. I use the case below. It is small enough that it doesn't take up any extra space, but big enough that you can fit your charging cable in it no problem. It is the "Hori Tough Pouch"

0gu8uoankgjy.jpg

-I didn't buy a pro controller for a long time. IMO using the joycons separated works great, as does the joycon controller holder thingy. Pro controller is ideal, and definitely get one eventually, but don't make it a priority at all.

-Odyssey I feel is more immediately fun and easy to play, but BOTW is a god-tier game that can take over your life. I would go with BOTW 100 times out of 100, but Odyssey is great and I can understand why some people would prefer it to BOTW.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
-Odyssey I feel is more immediately fun and easy to play, but BOTW is a god-tier game that can take over your life. I would go with BOTW 100 times out of 100, but Odyssey is great and I can understand why some people would prefer it to BOTW.

I mean we both know I will end up getting both at some point! ;)

Reactions: Pilky01

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Get a screen protector, maybe if feeling like being different, a dock sock. Personally, I wouldn't get anything less than 64 GB SD, they're cheap enough, and even for someone like me that prefers physical, DLC and whatnot.

dyO56lg.jpg

Similar to Pilky01, I have a traveling case (but only used it once), but it came with a couple joycon silicone grips (really nice), and a screen protector. The dock sock was just something to spruce yet another boring slab of plastic.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I use my Switch case all the time. If my Switch is out of the dock then the case is never out of reach. I hate to just leave the system on a table or just exposed in greneral. If I’m lying in bed playing the Switch then as soon as I am done it’s baxk in the case. I don’t trust anybody, not even myself.

Reactions: robertmac43

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I would spring for the pro controller if you have average sized hands or bigger. Maybe it's because I'm nearing my late 30s, but the joycons make my hands hurt after 30 minutes

They're kinda just bad in general, tbh. The sticks feel bad and the lack of an actual d-pad is depressing. It's to the point where I don't even want to use my Switch undocked until I can get my hands on one of those Hori Joycons.

Typical Nintendo thing where they compromised elements of their controller for a gimmick that nobody actually uses.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Get a screen protector, maybe if feeling like being different, a dock sock. Personally, I wouldn't get anything less than 64 GB SD, they're cheap enough, and even for someone like me that prefers physical, DLC and whatnot.

dyO56lg.jpg

Similar to Pilky01, I have a traveling case (but only used it once), but it came with a couple joycon silicone grips (really nice), and a screen protector. The dock sock was just something to spruce yet another boring slab of plastic.

I have the SAME EXACT dock cover :laugh:. Got it when I got my Switch back in October.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Haven't been able to play Mario Kart or Splatoon online since the update. Nice job, Nintendo.

I know it's not my internet because i can get into the e-shop just fine and my xbox works totally fine in terms of online gaming

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Haven't been able to play Mario Kart or Splatoon online since the update. Nice job, Nintendo.

I know it's not my internet because i can get into the e-shop just fine and my xbox works totally fine in terms of online gaming
Did you pay for the online service?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Has anyone had good experience with some thumbstick grips/raisers?

The Switch has quickly passed the PS4 and X1 and my go to console, but if I have one gripe it's the thumbsticks on the Joycons feel so much lower than what I'm used to. They aren't raised nearly as much off of the base of the controller. It's fine normally but in anything that requires a lot of dual Joycon aiming it makes it a little awkward feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad