Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm going to get the online since i play a lot of Mario Kart and Splatoon. Having that many classic games out of the game is def not bad.

The e-mail being unable to be split from your account sucks, but xbox is pretty much the same so i can live with it. What do i have to do for that? I already bought stuff off the e-shop so i'm assuming everything is good to go for next week.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Actually really looking forward to the crystal chronicles remaster. Dont know what they were thinking with the original release.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I still want to know how the classic library will be expanded. Will there be a VC, or will it be this streaming service and it will grow to include SNES and beyond?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am a lifetime Nintendo gamer. I have owned the Wii U and Switch since launch. I owned a Switch as my only console until Spider-Man came out last week.......I have no idea what that means or whether my Nintendo account is properly registered or whatever that means.

Holy ****.....Nintendo are going to drive me away with their pathetic online bull****. Just leave it out FFS. It doesn't offer any value.

Unbelievable that they haven't made any efforts to get ahead of this.

well this is their first time doing it. I'm pretty sure when XBOX first started it wasn't as polished as it was now. (though ill be honest, i don't know maybe t was posh off the bat). Ive been nintendo girl since the NES, (even though i missed a few systems). this wouldn't be enough to drive me away to be fair. but then to be honest, i'm not really affected by cloud saves and the like. I do respect the loads of ppl who are mad about it though and i hope Nintendo figures it out.

I'm going to get the online since i play a lot of Mario Kart and Splatoon. Having that many classic games out of the game is def not bad.

The e-mail being unable to be split from your account sucks, but xbox is pretty much the same so i can live with it. What do i have to do for that? I already bought stuff off the e-shop so i'm assuming everything is good to go for next week.

Go to system settings
go to user
click your profile.
scroll down and it says "Link Nintendo Account."
so if you have more than one link the one you like.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I only have the one. Just had to make sure lol.

Nintendo makes online stuff far more complicated than it needs to be. If they weren't actively ignoring/ not borrowing ideas from the competition (swear i read that before somewhere) it might not actually be like a decade behind everyone else.

Xbox Live was surprisingly polished from day one, even PS+ wasn't that bad. Come on, Nintendo.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
NES controller... Joycons?!?

Well shut up and take my money, Nintendo.

*googles*

Wait, they only work with the online NES games? ... meh, but I guess that means you know they're going to make an SNES joycon to work with all games in all liklihood. I'll hold off on these then.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Well shut up and take my money, Nintendo.

*googles*

Wait, they only work with the online NES games? ... meh, but I guess that means you know they're going to make an SNES joycon to work with all games in all liklihood. I'll hold off on these then.

Apparently the only way to get them as well is to sign up for an annual membership and then they are a limited edition thing.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
IDK why you'd want those anyway. Objectively the NES controllers are ****ing awful. Hold one long enough and it starts to stab you because of it being an actual rectangle.

Only a fool would pay that much for 30 year old controllers.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
They're 100% meant to be a "collectible".

I was almost excited about them because I thought "sweet! An official Nintendo left joycon with a standard D pad on it!" but now it sounds like they wont do anything but play NES games and charge while docked.

Luigi's Mansion 3 I am definitely interested in.

Isabelle in Smash Bros is a great call.

Will definitely get FF7 and FF9 eventually as I haven't replayed them since the PS1.

Animal Crossing Switch......Nintendo better step up their game. I can't imagine why I would jump into Animal Crossing ever again when I have got Stardew Valley already on the console.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Nintendo Switch requires weekly online check-in to play NES games | Eurogamer

You'll need to connect your Nintendo Switch to the internet every seven days to keep playing your NES games.
The Virtual Console-style catalogue of retro classics comes as part of Nintendo Switch's upcoming online subscription. But you'll need to remember to connect at least every week in order to guarantee access - even if your subscription is a long way from expiring.

Huh?

This sounds too ridiculous to be understood. What do they mean we have to "check-in" every week in order to play the NES games? Will I lose access to the games if I don't play my Switch for a week?

This sounds utterly absurd. Sounds like I bought a PS4 at the exact right time.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Nintendo Switch requires weekly online check-in to play NES games | Eurogamer

Huh?

This sounds too ridiculous to be understood. What do they mean we have to "check-in" every week in order to play the NES games? Will I lose access to the games if I don't play my Switch for a week?

This sounds utterly absurd. Sounds like I bought a PS4 at the exact right time.

I think it's the ol' Xbox self-destruct that the One was supposed to launch with, except less aggressive.

Basically, if you don't connect to the internet once a week to verify your subscription status (I assume an automatic process), your Switch won't let you play the NES games you've downloaded (or likely anything else subscription-based).

Reactions: Pilky01

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
IDK why you'd want those anyway. Objectively the NES controllers are ****ing awful. Hold one long enough and it starts to stab you because of it being an actual rectangle.

Only a fool would pay that much for 30 year old controllers.

They cost as much as a NES classic. Which has more HW and 30 games.

Or really the cost of a SNES classic ($60 for the two controllers, plus $20 for the subscription).

Nintendo is so anti-gamer, I'm torn at the love/hate relationship I have with them. I basically don't feel bad at buying into their hype, (since as an adult I have some disposable income) but also don't feel bad at hacking my Wii/WiiU, in the future my Switch, and running Retropie.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
They cost as much as a NES classic. Which has more HW and 30 games.

Or really the cost of a SNES classic ($60 for the two controllers, plus $20 for the subscription).

Nintendo is so anti-gamer, I'm torn at the love/hate relationship I have with them. I basically don't feel bad at buying into their hype, (since as an adult I have some disposable income) but also don't feel bad at hacking my Wii/WiiU, in the future my Switch, and running Retropie.

edit:

And with the Switch, I really just want local backups, as the cloud backups will only be as good as the subscription length.
Nintendo Switch cloud save data disappears if you cancel subscription

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
They're 100% meant to be a "collectible".

I was almost excited about them because I thought "sweet! An official Nintendo left joycon with a standard D pad on it!" but now it sounds like they wont do anything but play NES games and charge while docked.

Luigi's Mansion 3 I am definitely interested in.

Isabelle in Smash Bros is a great call.

Will definitely get FF7 and FF9 eventually as I haven't replayed them since the PS1.

Animal Crossing Switch......Nintendo better step up their game. I can't imagine why I would jump into Animal Crossing ever again when I have got Stardew Valley already on the console.

i'm really iffy on stardew valley is it good? i'm not the biggest animal crossing person.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
i'm really iffy on stardew valley is it good? i'm not the biggest animal crossing person.

Obviously “good” is a subjective judgement but I feel like yes it is fundamentally and demonstrably “good” insofar it has almost universal consensus as being a great at what it is trying to do; that being a farm simulator(?)/life RPG(?) sorta thing.

I would say Minecraft is probably a better comparison....but that being said I’ve never played Minecraft.

I believe it is good enough that I would absolutely recommend it to anyone though. If you see it in sale in the eshop then 100% buy it. It’s the kinda game that if it gets its claws into you then you could play it and nothing else for weeks and be perfectly content.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Obviously “good” is a subjective judgement but I feel like yes it is fundamentally and demonstrably “good” insofar it has almost universal consensus as being a great at what it is trying to do; that being a farm simulator(?)/life RPG(?) sorta thing.

I would say Minecraft is probably a better comparison....but that being said I’ve never played Minecraft.

I believe it is good enough that I would absolutely recommend it to anyone though. If you see it in sale in the eshop then 100% buy it. It’s the kinda game that if it gets its claws into you then you could play it and nothing else for weeks and be perfectly content.

thanks. LOL
i'll wait for it to come on sale. (I am really into hollow knight, which is weird. when i first saw it in the Direct i was like Not-For-ME, but, gosh the hours i sank into it it's nuts.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
New characters confirmed for Mario Tennis Aces update: Birdo, Paratroopa, Shy Guy, and Floro Piranha.

I haven't gotten the game yet, but Shy Guy back in a Mario Tennis game? It's about time.

Nintendo Direct: Mario Tennis Aces Switch Update Adds Shy Guy, Birdo, Co-op Modes

i wanna say he was in....the Game cube version?
Wii never had tennis. (if it did i never got it). and then we all can agree wii u tennis sucked.

In other Nintendo-y News. I'm really washing my hands of Fire emblem Heroes (for a long time anyway). i really hate Gatcha/Freemium games, and i bit on this because it's fun and the idea was good. but as always you get to the point where you have to sink in a lot of money to really get the chance at good Units, and the last two days all my carefully saved Orbs got blown on the same character. (literally 3 and 4 star version of the same crappy character). any thought of me really spending coin on this went on the window because i was already raging at not getting a good character, and if i spent more than what i already did i would have blown my lid).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
LOL me again.
so i finally got Hyrule Warriors for Switch. i'm probably gonna get other ports (Mario Kart/Captain Toad, New Bros Deluxe) and just use my wii u for wii games.

i like the clarity in this game, and the sound is a lot better. they put the command in (like in Fire Emblem Warriors), but compared to FEW - it sucks. you can only command them to go to the place you want them to - not actually fight them.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
i wanna say he was in....the Game cube version?
Wii never had tennis. (if it did i never got it). and then we all can agree wii u tennis sucked.

In other Nintendo-y News. I'm really washing my hands of Fire emblem Heroes (for a long time anyway). i really hate Gatcha/Freemium games, and i bit on this because it's fun and the idea was good. but as always you get to the point where you have to sink in a lot of money to really get the chance at good Units, and the last two days all my carefully saved Orbs got blown on the same character. (literally 3 and 4 star version of the same crappy character). any thought of me really spending coin on this went on the window because i was already raging at not getting a good character, and if i spent more than what i already did i would have blown my lid).

Yeah, he was in the game cube version. Which wasn't awful, but I didn't like that it basically became a contest of "stave off the opponent until you get a power shot, then use it just right to get the point. then repeat"

He also wasn't in the 3DS game (which was even worse for its reliance on the power shot/smash mechanic to score).

Wii only had a reskin of the Gamecube game with waggle/motion controls, making it an unplayable hybrid of actual Mario Tennis and the WiiSports pack-in Tennis where you do nothing but swing your arm to hit the ball. It was awful.

I never got into Heroes, though that's mostly because I've never enjoyed any mobile games that use that freemium gatcha model. I'm trying to finish Shadows of Valentia on the 3DS but blllllluuurrrrgh the last portion of chapter 4 is a gigantic slog.

Also touching on your earlier comment about Stardew Valley, I have it on the PC and have only played it a bit, but it just didn't grab me right away. What I have enjoyed though in that sort of vein is Rune Factory 4 on the 3DS (it's in the eShop). It has some of those Stardew/Harvest Moon style farming sim aspects, but is a bit lighter on those (mostly focused on managing a few small plots of farmland to raise crops along with a simple system for taking veggies and other materials you can gather around the world and use them in cooking and crafting systems as well as money-making opportunities) but marries that with RPG growth/progression and Legend of Zelda style exploration and dungeon crawling and has a charming anime-esque veneer over it. It's a full-price game, but it's more concerned with the action and story than it is the farming, so you're free to do as much or as little of that stuff as interests you.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I never got into Heroes, though that's mostly because I've never enjoyed any mobile games that use that freemium gatcha model. I'm trying to finish Shadows of Valentia on the 3DS but blllllluuurrrrgh the last portion of chapter 4 is a gigantic slog.

Also touching on your earlier comment about Stardew Valley, I have it on the PC and have only played it a bit, but it just didn't grab me right away. What I have enjoyed though in that sort of vein is Rune Factory 4 on the 3DS (it's in the eShop). It has some of those Stardew/Harvest Moon style farming sim aspects, but is a bit lighter on those (mostly focused on managing a few small plots of farmland to raise crops along with a simple system for taking veggies and other materials you can gather around the world and use them in cooking and crafting systems as well as money-making opportunities) but marries that with RPG growth/progression and Legend of Zelda style exploration and dungeon crawling and has a charming anime-esque veneer over it. It's a full-price game, but it's more concerned with the action and story than it is the farming, so you're free to do as much or as little of that stuff as interests you.

yah. like it really just hit me today that i don't really have a good army re: heroes, I don't have alot of my favourite characters (almost everyone awesome is 5* so it's a 3 percent chance to get it and i mean i wouldn't. even mind grinding them from 3 star and MAKE them amazing but you don't even get that opportunity. and the most annoying thing is, Green is a rare colour. so when you do a summon (which you can't quit once you commit) and all you want is a green unit and get nothing you have to risk your high percentage on a colour character you don't even want who could flat out suck. I did buy some currency (only to get "bonus" stuff) but now with my job giving me very limited hrs, money is tight and i don't think it's right to sink in that much money in a game of chance anyway.

Re: Shadows - I LOVE Chapter 4. (actually i love the whole game, i've played it twice.. i took a break before i got to the post game dungeon an then everything else caught my attention) i used chapter 4 to abuse the Mercenary/Dread Fighter Loop (and my pitch forks on Zeke/Tatiana to really create godCharacters).

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Only problem I have with SV is that there hasn't really been any updates.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
After a fairly dry 2018, 2019 is shaping up rather nicely:
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Metroid Prime 4 (maybe)
Luigi's Mansion
Animal Crossing

And I know there's others I'm forgetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad