Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Quick question here: I had just got to the Koroki village, or whatever it was called (past the horse stable area) & had about 10-12 hours into BotW, but it really hadn't grabbed me & I haven't been back for like 8 months. I have recently finished a different game & am thinking about picking it back up as my next major game, as it seems everyone loved it.

My question: If I wasn't grabbed by that point, will it grab me? Or is it the same moving forward? Note: my biggest issue was the weapons breaking in like 4 hits so, after fighting a few characters, I was down to barely any inventory that was decent, and constantly balancing said inventory.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Hollow Knight is on sale for $9.90 on the eShop.

Downloading now. Purchased entirely using Nintendo points. Free Hollow Knight :vhappy:

Quick question here: I had just got to the Koroki village, or whatever it was called (past the horse stable area) & had about 10-12 hours into BotW, but it really hadn't grabbed me & I haven't been back for like 8 months. I have recently finished a different game & am thinking about picking it back up as my next major game, as it seems everyone loved it.

My question: If I wasn't grabbed by that point, will it grab me? Or is it the same moving forward? Note: my biggest issue was the weapons breaking in like 4 hits so, after fighting a few characters, I was down to barely any inventory that was decent, and constantly balancing said inventory.

I would say fight less. You will definitely get to a point where you are loaded with OP weapons and can happily take on all challengers (stealing their weapons in the process), but not for the first several hours. Don’t forget to use your bombs in combat. They’re unlimited.

Also keep going into the korok forest. There is a useful item in there.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I actually just picked up a switch (mostly for Smash) with BOTW. I'm a huge Zelda fan (have played every game in the series minus Skyward Sword since that came out shortly after i got rid of my Wii for a PS3) and initially i didn't buy the hype for it just because it looked so...plain compared to other Zelda games.

Suffice to say, i was dead ****ing wrong. This game is god damn amazing. I was worried about them taking all the different stuff from other RPG-ish games (weapon breakdown, changeable armor, crafting, hunting, etc) but it all meshes in well. It takes everything i love about the series; the old school sense of wonder and discovery for every little thing you find like the old top down games, the polished combat from the 3D games and the exploration aspect of wind waker (probably my favorite game in the series until now)

I'm about halfway through (2 of the 4 divine beasts dealt with, 50+ shrines done) i would say and i'm now leaning towards getting the DLC. Is it worth the like, 29 bucks CAD? First pack sounds kinda garbage but the champion's ballad sounds more like what i'm looking for.

I can also confirm you should be making your way to the Lost Woods type area. If you've played a game in the series before it should be somewhat obvious what's waiting for you there, but i won't totally spoil it. (it was def obvious for me once i put two and two together from all the cutscenes)

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Every time I get motivated to finish the game, I get side tracked with other stuff in the game.

Maybe I'll finish the game before the year is over. BOtW is also the game I've played the most with 170 hours.
Yeah I just roam out there. It's so intriguing to find out whats over that ridge, or whats deep within that forest, it's just so immersive.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

Part of the fun of the game to me was finding more weapons. They do break too quickly but there are so many out there. If you're not down for exploring the game isn't really for you.

You can do sneak attacks (basically one shot kills) or use your arrows in slow mo mode and headshot most guys right away.

A good idea is setting your tracker mode to find treasure chests, that way you'll find even more weapons, etc.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I actually just picked up a switch (mostly for Smash) with BOTW. I'm a huge Zelda fan (have played every game in the series minus Skyward Sword since that came out shortly after i got rid of my Wii for a PS3) and initially i didn't buy the hype for it just because it looked so...plain compared to other Zelda games.

Suffice to say, i was dead ****ing wrong. This game is god damn amazing. I was worried about them taking all the different stuff from other RPG-ish games (weapon breakdown, changeable armor, crafting, hunting, etc) but it all meshes in well. It takes everything i love about the series; the old school sense of wonder and discovery for every little thing you find like the old top down games, the polished combat from the 3D games and the exploration aspect of wind waker (probably my favorite game in the series until now)

I'm about halfway through (2 of the 4 divine beasts dealt with, 50+ shrines done) i would say and i'm now leaning towards getting the DLC. Is it worth the like, 29 bucks CAD? First pack sounds kinda garbage but the champion's ballad sounds more like what i'm looking for.

I can also confirm you should be making your way to the Lost Woods type area. If you've played a game in the series before it should be somewhat obvious what's waiting for you there, but i won't totally spoil it. (it was def obvious for me once i put two and two together from all the cutscenes)
Since you've been to the lost woods and know what that entails, absolutely get the DLC. The Master Trials await you and serve a great purpose. (They're also a lot of fun and a good challenge).

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ugh. FINALLY beat stage 1 of the master trials on master mode. What a f***ing slog.

If you love the game I would totally recommend the DLC, but to be honest I find it super underwhelming. It barely ‘expands’ on the game at all. Just adds a couple of hard modes (master mode, master trials, and that one hit thing you are forced to use at the start of DLC2).

The best things about the entire DLC package are the Hero’s Path and the Korok mask, two things that 100% should have been standard features in the game from day 1.

Take any of my complaints with a grain of salt though as I love the game so much I’m still in love with it 18 months after release. I have stepped away from It a few times, but it always pulls me back in.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah the Master Trials are bit too hardcore for me.

I did the first of three but decided against trying the other two. Maybe one day.

The second DLC stuff was pretty good. 20 bucks for the Sword Trials, the new shrines and the new dugeon, it's decent bang for your buck.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I still say the DLC was underwhelming but to be honest Nintendo deserves the money anyway just for how brilliant a game they built.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The one pet peeve i have with the Zelda franchise is a whole is they just have to cram in a crappy stealth section that doesn't even fit with the game at all. Ocarina did it, Wind Waker did it, etc.

Breath of the Wild did it with this ****ing obnoxious Yiga clan stuff. Only blemish on this amazing game thus far for me.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The one pet peeve i have with the Zelda franchise is a whole is they just have to cram in a crappy stealth section that doesn't even fit with the game at all. Ocarina did it, Wind Waker did it, etc.

Breath of the Wild did it with this ****ing obnoxious Yiga clan stuff. Only blemish on this amazing game thus far for me.

The Yiga stuff is fairly easy though. There are bananas all over the place. Use them to distract the Yiga then sneak attack them.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

The Yiga stuff is fairly easy though. There are bananas all over the place. Use them to distract the Yiga then sneak attack them.

I hated the Yiga clan part, I always messed up in the big room and I think I had to start over 9-10 times. Even with unlimited banana's.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I didn't mind the stealth parts per se, but the one hit kills that suddenly became a thing during them were ridiculously dumb. Fits with them in previous games missing the point, imho.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Didn't even know Into the Breach was coming out on Switch.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Who was asking for an Onimusha remaster?

We demand Dino Crisis!

tumblr_ox2vcudI1z1v6pzwto1_400.gif

Reactions: Nizdizzle

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
I also picked up hollow knight. Good so far but I'm perpetually lost - I have to find more maps :)

It'll be enough until smash comes out for me.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Finished Breath of the Wild (or at least the main quest line) finally. Clocked in a just a bit over 85 hours.

I have to say i'm really disappointed by the ending. All this build up for what i thought would be a monster showdown at the end with Calamity Ganon, and it ends up being whatever the hell that was.

It's not that it was easy. Most Ganondorf/Ganon fights are...but they usually set the tone way better. The clash with Ganondorf in the tower at the end of Ocarina, and then him coming back from the dead to turn into Ganon. The ballin' ass sword fight with him at the end of Twilight Princess (easy as all hell but you cannot deny how epic that standoff is.) Hell even Wind Waker with the buildup of Ganondorf's motives and then having it end with him getting impaled through the head with the master sword.

Instead all we get is spidermechaganon and a overinflated boar form. Bleh.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I also picked up hollow knight. Good so far but I'm perpetually lost - I have to find more maps :)

It'll be enough until smash comes out for me.

ugh. i just came back from holidays and i missed the sale.
is it good enough to pay 16.99? do we think it will come back on sale?
i like what i saw from IGN reviews.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
ugh. i just came back from holidays and i missed the sale.
is it good enough to pay 16.99? do we think it will come back on sale?
i like what i saw from IGN reviews.

IMO, yes it's worth full price.

However, if it's anything like the PC version, it seems to go on sale quite a bit.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
IMO, yes it's worth full price.

However, if it's anything like the PC version, it seems to go on sale quite a bit.

I am bit desperate for a new game but it looks good. i'm not sure how to find out games like this go on sale so eventually i'll probably just nab it. thanks. Clueless :)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I am bit desperate for a new game but it looks good. i'm not sure how to find out games like this go on sale so eventually i'll probably just nab it. thanks. Clueless :)

I think it's a great choice.

Be warned, it's a bit difficult. Mind you, I don't claim to be good at video games so your mileage may vary. :laugh:

Did you already blast through all Octo of the paths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad