Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Re: Lundkvist, I think he's probably the most balanced of any of our defensive prospects right now. He can play in just about any situation, support the offense nicely or be a smart defensive player.

He doesn't have the offensive vision or creativity of Jones, the tools of Miller, or quite the human eraser effect of Robertson and Schneider. But from zone to zone, he might have the most natural transition and blend of ability, upside and odds of translating his full game to the NHL.

I'd say right now he still projects as a very good second pairing defenseman and one of the better defensive prospects outside the NHL.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I tend not to project with prospects at all, since they almost always surprise you one way or another.

With that said, please no more Spurgeon mentions in this thread; it makes my golden rule difficult to follow.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I tend not to project with prospects at all, since they almost always surprise you one way or another.

With that said, please no more Spurgeon mentions in this thread; it makes my golden rule difficult to follow.

Yup, I generally try to give more conservative assessments (especially for the prospects I like) and think in terms of ranges. But once in awhile you just can’t help yourself.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yup, I generally try to give more conservative assessments (especially for the prospects I like) and think in terms of ranges. But once in awhile you just can’t help yourself.
Agreed. It's funny, Leslie Treff caught a lot of flak around here, and a lot was justified. But one thing about her evaluations and grades was that she was among the most conservative evaluators on the site. She recognized that even really good prospects still fail to reach their optimistic projections more often than not. You'd go to other sections of the site for other teams and you'd read articles that made it sound as if these teams were literally bursting at the seams with high-end guys with high floors. It was silly. The clown who did the Philly writing and also posted a lot was the worst.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Agreed. It's funny, Leslie Treff caught a lot of flak around here, and a lot was justified. But one thing about her evaluations and grades was that she was among the most conservative evaluators on the site. She recognized that even really good prospects still fail to reach their optimistic projections more often than not. You'd go to other sections of the site for other teams and you'd read articles that made it sound as if these teams were literally bursting at the seams with high-end guys with high floors. It was silly. The clown who did the Philly writing and also posted a lot was the worst.
Awful at typing on a smartphone, though.

Reactions: McSauer and nyr2k2

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lundkvist doesn't make ADA expendable, Fox does. One of Lundkvist or Schneider are likely to replace him only in the sense of taking the spot on the 3rd pair, not necessarily replacing what ADA does on the ice.

ADA will provide more value than Lundkvist in a trade for a LD or center. It's possible that Lundkvist still gets moved if Schneider proves he is capable, but I don't think we'll see a scenario where ADA is still on this team in 2 years.
Am not disagreeing about him not being here for too long. Clearly one never knows. If DeAngelo goes out and paces a 70 or 80 point season, things may change. But yes, I do not think that he is here for long.

I also do not believe that Fox makes him expendable either. Tony can completely tilt the ice at times. And he is phenomenal running the PP. That is not Fox. Fox is the more complete defenseman, yes. But he will never do the things offensively that DeAngelo do. Or so I believe.

I also have been reading the tea leaves in the way that Gorton and JD seem to be building a team. And I believe, and just my belief, that there will be only one smallish, puck moving defenseman on the right hand side. If Schneider develops, I believe that the future will be Trouba, only one of Fox or Lundqvist and Schneider. But who really knows? Anything is possible and before anything, the prospects have to show that they are ready for an audition.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd say right now he still projects as a very good second pairing defenseman and one of the better defensive prospects outside the NHL.
Gun to head, do you believe he is a long term solution here or an asset used to shore up another weakness?

I think that the theory of top prospects for prospects is great, but the reality never really bears out that way. In theory, an exchange of him for a Zegras, McMichael or a Boldy could work, but you never really see trades like that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think him being this good gives us tons of options for our team going forward. Such an important prospect and I'm so glad he keeps trending up.
Of course. The reality is that not all of the prospects that we all love are going to be here. Some WILL be used to shore up other organizational weaknesses. The better the Rangers prospects perform, the better value can be brought back. Or allow for some others to be moved.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Of course. The reality is that not all of the prospects that we all love are going to be here. Some WILL be used to shore up other organizational weaknesses. The better the Rangers prospects perform, the better value can be brought back. Or allow for some others to be moved.

That's why I feel entirely comfortable with Gorton at the helm. I think we'll all be happy no matter who winds up going.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Gun to head, do you believe he is a long term solution here or an asset used to shore up another weakness?

I think that the theory of top prospects for prospects is great, but the reality never really bears out that way. In theory, an exchange of him for a Zegras, McMichael or a Boldy could work, but you never really see trades like that.

I put him at 50/50. I think he and ADA are still the likeliest candidates to be moved in the short term.

If you would’ve asked me a year ago, I’d say Lundkvist leaned toward the long-term asset category. Today, through no fault of his own, I think he has a shot to be included as part of a package of the right player established player comes along. I think you very well could have a championship blue line that doesn’t include ADA and Lundkvist - which is pretty sick.

Gun to head, have to give a definitive answer, I think he gets moved.

Reactions: Cag29 and McSauer

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I put him at 50/50. I think he and ADA are still the likeliest candidates to be moved in the short term.

If you would’ve asked me a year ago, I’d say Lundkvist leaned toward the long-term asset category. Today, through no fault of his own, I think he has a shot to be included as part of a package of the right player established player comes along. I think you very well could have a championship blue line that doesn’t include ADA and Lundkvist - which is pretty sick.

I mean, you don't get a player like Jack Eichel for nothing...

:naughty:

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I have discussed this at length with friends recently... you’re not going to get without giving. If Eichel comes back up, I’m preparing myself to see one of Nils or ADA going to other way, amongst a few other things.

I’m ready and mentally prepared as a fan to give up some sick assets for one big piece lol.

Reactions: McSauer

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Re: Lundkvist, I think he's probably the most balanced of any of our defensive prospects right now. He can play in just about any situation, support the offense nicely or be a smart defensive player.

He doesn't have the offensive vision or creativity of Jones, the tools of Miller, or quite the human eraser effect of Robertson and Schneider. But from zone to zone, he might have the most natural transition and blend of ability, upside and odds of translating his full game to the NHL.

NHL Network had him like 21-22 of top prospects right now.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Would it shock you if he were moved for a D? Conventional wisdom has us looking for a C...but a 1st pair D would be huge for this team.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Would it shock you if he were moved for a D? Conventional wisdom has us looking for a C...but a 1st pair D would be huge for this team.

I think that’s certainly possible, if we ever get to that point.

Taking a few steps back, it’s really not too far-fetched to imagine a series of events in which Lundkvist is packaged for a center and DeAngelo is moved for a prime LD.

The Rangers are going to use their depth, it’s just a matter of how or when.

So when we look at an organizational snap shot that currently includes ADA, Lundkvist, Schneider, Robertson, Miller, Lindgren, Jones, and Reunanen, you have to look at it with the knowledge that half of those guys will likely be moved in the next several years. It’s just a matter of when and for whom.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have discussed this at length with friends recently... you’re not going to get without giving. If Eichel comes back up, I’m preparing myself to see one of Nils or ADA going to other way, amongst a few other things.

I’m ready and mentally prepared as a fan to give up some sick assets for one big piece lol.

A package for Eichel probably starts with Buchnevich, DeAngelo, Miller and a 1st. Maybe throw in Chytil.

We're probably looking at a package bigger than the one we gave up for Nash back in 2012

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Just read the scouting reports of all our 4th-7th round picks after we draft them. Based off those they all sound like sure fire top six forwards/top four defenseman who should have went top 10 in the draft.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just read the scouting reports of all our 4th-7th round picks after we draft them. Based off those they all sound like sure fire top six forwards/top four defenseman who should have went top 10 in the draft.

I find that that's more of an NHL thing than say an NFL thing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think the challenge is that you try to find the upside and express that in words compared to CSB reports (bland and generic) or with the slant they 80 percent of the kids will not make it (which doesn’t make for an in-depth read).

It’s a difficult balancing act. And even if you get it right, half the people are pissed because they think you’re over-selling a prospect, and half are pissed because you’re under-selling them.

My heart goes out to a lot of people who even attempt it. It’s a thankless job.

Reactions: romba and pld459666

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

I agree with this statement. I think Gorton uses his stacked cupboard of prospects and young players to get a really good young center with term, looking at you Jack, PLD, barkov etc type guy. I think many fans think we will overpay. But when dealing prospects for a known commodity I think you take the gamble adding 1-2 very good prospects plus a good young player for a signed guy who is on the cusp of stardom. I also think covid situation is really going to benefit the rangers when it comes to zibby during contract time. But this is all circumstance, and a lot of if’s. If Chytil pans out maybe they do not have to make a huge splash. Time will tell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad