Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is there any risk the Rangers can’t sign this kid?

Rangers have zero concerns.

Gun to head, is Lundkvist's ceiling higher than what TDA is now?

That's up for debate and depends on how one defines ceiling and values certain attributes.

Lundkvist is not likely to score at a 60 point pace like ADA. I don't see him having the offensive numbers in that range. Lundkvist's numbers will also depend on whether he is on special teams. But overall, I don't expect top-shelf offensive numbers.

What Lundkvist does have the potential to be is the more well-rounded defenseman of the two. His ability to play in all three zones should be significantly superior to ADA's. I'd argue that of any defenseman in our system outside the NHL, Lundkvist is the most complete and has the smoothest transition between all three zones.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Lundkvist becomes a major piece in a trade for PLD or Eichel, does that make some fans more content with the McDonagh trade? I have felt that Lundkvist has the trajectory of a Top 4 Defenseman on a roster throughout his career, which for where Mac was trending when we traded him, already had me content with the return for McDonagh.

Overall, the value is fair, even if the outcome is till TBD.

Part of the problem with deals is that you can't compare McD's prime to where he was at when we traded him, and you have to factor in where McD is at when he's 32/33 and where guys like Howden, Hajek, Lundkvist, Henriksson are at the same point when they're 23/24 and 21/22.

Beyond that you have too look at the financial investment as well and determine if you'd rather have McD and even Miller over Panarin and Kreider right now, and beyond.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rangers have zero concerns.

That's up for debate and depends on how one defines ceiling and values certain attributes.

Lundkvist is not likely to score at a 60 point pace like ADA. I don't see him having the offensive numbers in that range. Lundkvist's numbers will also depend on whether he is on special teams. But overall, I don't expect top-shelf offensive numbers.

What Lundkvist does have the potential to be is the more well-rounded defenseman of the two. His ability to play in all three zones should be significantly superior to ADA's. I'd argue that of any defenseman in our system outside the NHL, Lundkvist is the most complete and has the smoothest transition between all three zones.

I'm surprised how many people whatever reason assumed I meant offensive ceiling. I meant being a better player, period.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm surprised how many people whatever reason assumed I meant offensive ceiling. I meant being a better player, period.

I think all things considered, Lundkvist hits close to his potential, he's the better overall player. I think he's probably the one who would also have more value/interest league-wide as well.

Again, gun to my head, Lundkvist if he hits close to his ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I don't see the Rangers going with more than 2, 5'11 defense. If they did, they won't win any cups. You don't win midgets on d. Just look at the d corps winning cups the past decade. Their defenseman for the most part are big with some physical elements to the core. Schneider was a very clear message sent by JD and Gorton of what they want to become on defense. TDA is so high end offensively that the Rangers might actually get to the point in close playoff games where they play the top 4, 25 minutes and a guy like TDA pretty much only on the PP or vs. other teams lower lines. If they don't want to go that route then they deal him and go with Lundkvist.

This season will determine if TDA goes or stays. If he is a big part of creating a lethal PP he might stick around. He didn't put up that many PP points last year as some might think. He better do that. His even strength points considering his average defense is not going to be enough.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't see the Rangers going with more than 2, 5'11 defense. If they did, they won't win any cups. You don't win midgets on d. Just look at the d corps winning cups the past decade. Their defenseman for the most part are big with some physical elements to the core. Schneider was a very clear message sent by JD and Gorton of what they want to become on defense. TDA is so high end offensively that the Rangers might actually get to the point in close playoff games where they play the top 4, 25 minutes and a guy like TDA pretty much only on the PP or vs. other teams lower lines. If they don't want to go that route then they deal him and go with Lundkvist.

This season will determine if TDA goes or stays. If he is a big part of creating a lethal PP he might stick around. He didn't put up that many PP points last year as some might think. He better do that. His even strength points considering his average defense is not going to be enough.
Are you a bot? I think you must be a bot. A bot programmed only to talk about why you don't like small defensemen. You're a weird bot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'll give him credit PB ran away from this forum for a lot less hate.
Back in the day there was an almost-never-used function on the board called Global Ignore, where an admin could flip a switch and suddenly no one would be able to see posts from a user. They'd essentially be talking to no one and not know it. This guy, it's like he has the reverse, where everyone (who hasn't blocked him) can see his posts, but he can't see ours. Because he basically never responds.

PB would at least fight back by calling you a bully or whatever. This guy just takes a dump on the middle of the office floor and leaves while everyone stares slack-jawed, over and over again.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Back in the day there was an almost-never-used function on the board called Global Ignore, where an admin could flip a switch and suddenly no one would be able to see posts from a user. They'd essentially be talking to no one and not know it. This guy, it's like he has the reverse, where everyone (who hasn't blocked him) can see his posts, but he can't see ours. Because he basically never responds.

PB would at least fight back by calling you a bully or whatever. This guy just takes a dump on the middle of the office floor and leaves while everyone stares slack-jawed, over and over again.

You think he ignored everyone? I think it's possible that he hasn't and just posts something, knows it's incendiary and doesn't respond because he doesn't want to have to defend it. Sometimes on FB when I disagree on politics I don't respond because I know it'll be a long argument.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'll take deangelo every time.

With that said the return for deangelo plus lundkvist might be worth more to the team than deangelo plus the return for lundkvist.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I'll take deangelo every time.

With that said the return for deangelo plus lundkvist might be worth more to the team than deangelo plus the return for lundkvist.

of course we also need to factor in that, at least for the foreseeable future, deangelo is going to make a lot more $$. so there are cap implications too

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I can’t fathom people talking about dealing this guy unless it’s for a 1C. He oozes top pair potential.

Eh I dunno, the flipside argument would be that he's a bit undersized and doesn't do anything outstanding just most things real well.

If he was 6'2 then maybe we'd be talking about him as a potential top pair guy but that's how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->