Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, he only has to keep it up for 3 more years, which I'm doubtful about. And even then I can't see any team taking the full 8 million.

On the other side, defensemen develop differently. The problem may very well solve itself.

Now this is some spectacular logic.

-Player is in the league for 5 years and plays very well
-Player moves to new team, struggles to match previous level of play for 4-5 months
-Player gets back to playing very well
-Poster is unsure that he can play very well for 3 more years, all of which are before he turns 30, even though playing well is clearly the norm in his career.

Just spectacular.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I know this is way early and speculative, but with that shot of his I wonder if playing on the Left side would be a possibility down the road.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Not until 2024 at least. When his NMC turns into a limited NTC, maybe they trade him. But he is our 2nd best defenseman at the moment.
Agreed, and that is why I asked the question. Expecting any of the kids to be a full time first pair shut down player before 2024 is a little crazy. Let them build their reusmes a little more.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Not until 2024 at least. When his NMC turns into a limited NTC, maybe they trade him. But he is our 2nd best defenseman at the moment.

A whole lot of things can and will change between now and 2024. Performance, injuries, team success (or lack therof) and management are all subject to change. So is the status of every player on the team including the currently "untradeable".

Hope for the best and see where the chips fall.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Trouba has been our 2nd best defenseman this season behind Fox. If he plays the way he has been since last year's deadline, he will be tradeable

I'd put Lindgren over Trouba.

Considering Miller is a rookie, and the others should be playing 6th-7th-depth I guess I feel like the threshold to be the Rangers 3rd best defender is not all that high.

Reactions: Sayba

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
A whole lot of things can and will change between now and 2024. Performance, injuries, team success (or lack therof) and management are all subject to change. So is the status of every player on the team including the currently "untradeable".

And they will only trade Trouba if Schneider develops into the defenseman we expect him to be but there are no guarantees

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Fox-Lindgren
Miller-Schneider
Robertson/Reunanen/Lundkvist

All would fit under the cap for a while as none would hit UFA for a while.

Go back in time and don't trade for Trouba. Instead use that Jets pick on Tomasino

The 19-year-old center has scored in two of Chicago’s three games — both multi-point games — including a two-goal performance in Monday’s win over the Rockford Ice Hogs. The feat on its own is impressive considering Tomasino normally would be playing in the junior leagues right now.
Predators’ prospects fueling AHL Chicago’s success | Nashville Post

Currently has 7 points in 7 games.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I know this is way early and speculative, but with that shot of his I wonder if playing on the Left side would be a possibility down the road.
Keep him comfortable in the D zone on the right side but on the PP they'll do the point man switcharoo and he'll def be sneaking down for his midnight snack one timers. Having a D threat with his rifle will be invaluable and should open lanes everywhere on the PP.

Reactions: John Snow

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

You just gave the other dude some shit for asking a question based on this same thought process tho...

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Trouba has been our 2nd best defenseman this season behind Fox. If he plays the way he has been since last year's deadline, he will be tradeable
As a player he's definitely attractive. I feel like there has to be some improvement otherwise all the GMs will not bite simply because of his contract size. I have always maintained that I like the player but hate the contract. If his contract was cheaper, then I don't even think we'd talk about needing to trade him. And "need" is a bit strong of a word but we all know we have a lot coming up the pipe on RD

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
As a player he's definitely attractive. I feel like there has to be some improvement otherwise all the GMs will not bite simply because of his contract size. I have always maintained that I like the player but hate the contract. If his contract was cheaper, then I don't even think we'd talk about needing to trade him. And "need" is a bit strong of a word but we all know we have a lot coming up the pipe on RD

At 6M he'd be fine.

Reactions: n8

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If the Rangers had kept the pick, they would have gone with a forward currently in the NHL. I'll leave it at that.

I think it's already been established that we would've taken Höglander at that pick. Tomasino was a kid that I was really high on going into that draft, and I want the Rangers to start valuing that mold of player as the NHL continues to evolve. I like that we've amassed a group of big, fast, skilled forwards, but I think we're missing out on those low center-of-gravity strong skaters that really drive transition play. A kid like Jordan Kyrou is showing just how valuable that is in today's NHL.

Reactions: Leetch3

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I think it's already been established that we would've taken Höglander at that pick. Tomasino was a kid that I was really high on going into that draft, and I want the Rangers to start valuing that mold of player as the NHL continues to evolve. I like that we've amassed a group of big, fast, skilled forwards, but I think we're missing out on those low center-of-gravity strong skaters that really drive transition play. A kid like Jordan Kyrou is showing just how valuable that is in today's NHL.
NYR always behind the curve

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yeah, @Edge reported Höglander would've been the Rangers' selection there if they'd kept the pick a waaays back. IIRC, he also said they tried to trade back into the back of the 1st / start of the 2nd when they saw that he was still there, but weren't able to manage it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, @Edge reported Höglander would've been the Rangers' selection there if they'd kept the pick a waaays back. IIRC, he also said they tried to trade back into the back of the 1st / start of the 2nd when they saw that he was still there, but weren't able to manage it.

Correct. Hoglander was a primary target for them.

They really stepped up the efforts when he was sitting there in the late 30s --- Anaheim, Ottawa and Vancouver for sure.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Correct. Hoglander was a primary target for them.

They really stepped up the efforts when he was sitting there in the late 30s --- Anaheim, Ottawa and Vancouver for sure.

How close did they have Hoglander and Robertson ranked? IIRC they had MR as a mid-low 1st rounder.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How close did they have Hoglander and Robertson ranked? IIRC they had MR as a mid-low 1st rounder.

I was at the draft in Vancouver that weekend and talking to people those were 2 names that surprised people to still be out there after day 1. Kaliyev and Fagemo were 2 others that were heavily discussed afterwards.

Reactions: McRanger

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How does Lundkvist compare to Boqvist right now as a prospect?

Tough to compare them now but even in their draft year Lundkvist outplayed Boqvist. If Lundkvist was 3 inches taller, he'd be a top-15 pick for sure.

It will be interesting to see how quickly Lundkvist transitions but at age 21 he should be able to jump straight to the NHL. There are plenty of Europeans who have made the jump skipping the AHL altogether, even not so flashy names like Donskoi, Lehkonen and Bratt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad