Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
staal was one of the worst players in the league last year by pretty much any metric so take your pick there.

smith played right wing for 80 percent of the year. You think there wasn’t a better player in Hartford?

smith playing forward though had nothing to do with his ability as a forward IMO and was all about dressing a 7th dman to insulate fox from the pk as a rookie (he'll kill penalties this year)...smith was only moved back to the blueline after Hajek failed to take the spot and we traded Skjei. it was only when we had no options that smith was moved back to the blueline...

and as far as staal goes...he was scratched early in the year. he got back in after Hajek didn't play well and get sent back down...Rykov was hurt and never really recovered. so who was going to bump staal from the lineup? crawley? sean day? He played due to lack of options and depth...if the team actually thought he was still good they wouldn't have paid a 2nd round pick to get rid of him.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Cool besides not watching any of his games ever, how did you come to this conclusion? Osmosis? Did it come to you in a vision?
I obviously don’t agree with usekakkorightquinn (what a f***ing long ass annoying username), but I also don’t like the double standard. For many people, if a player produces points, he gets hyped. If he doesn’t, then points aren’t everything. Which one is it? Unless, the same people who are saying he’s playing well this year despite point totals didn’t use point totals to justify his play last year.

Also, this isn’t true in every case, but it seems like for defensemen, better defense results in more opportunities for points. This tells me that although so many more factors go into it, points do matter, and not just from an offensive standpoint. Of course, deployment greatly affects that as well. But yea, I doubt UKRQ has watched any of his games. And neither have I.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Why are you guys so fixated on points. Maybe it's time to see Nils play instead of drawing conclusions based on points.
Don’t patronize people like that. Many people don’t have the time or resources to watch every single game. And points do matter, like I mentioned in my post above. I know a lot goes into it, but production is part of that too. And when you only have so much to go off of, you tend to rely on point production. Although I know it doesn’t tell the whole story, you can’t dismiss it completely.

This is coming from a big fan of Nils, by the way, and I still think he has Fox upside.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I obviously don’t agree with usekakkorightquinn (what a f***ing long ass annoying username), but I also don’t like the double standard. For many people, if a player produces points, he gets hyped. If he doesn’t, then points aren’t everything. Which one is it? Unless, the same people who are saying he’s playing well this year despite point totals didn’t use point totals to justify his play last year.

Also, this isn’t true in every case, but it seems like for defensemen, better defense results in more opportunities for points. This tells me that although so many more factors go into it, points do matter, and not just from an offensive standpoint. Of course, deployment greatly affects that as well. But yea, I doubt UKRQ has watched any of his games. And neither have I.

Nor have I and my point was we don't go around posting like we do, UKRQ obviously does. As far as the points issue ,point taken......you are correct.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
I don't know what is more useless. Metric stats in sports or congress. If you watch the games with your eyes Staal was fine when he was used as a bottom pairing guy. It's just another example of our fans nitpicking our defenseman to death all the time. The number one reason our defense wasn't good last year because there wasn't a solid team defense system put in place. The forwards were absolutely horrible defensively. The team has no clue how to kill penalties. They allow the pointmen on the PP to be open all the time. Giving them a huge amount of space.
The only eyes that could watch Staal play and still come out thinking he had a good game are these eyes:
41b31872aeb4694797e1f4b91802bd66.jpg

Reactions: UnSandvich

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Don’t patronize people like that. Many people don’t have the time or resources to watch every single game. And points do matter, like I mentioned in my post above. I know a lot goes into it, but production is part of that too. And when you only have so much to go off of, you tend to rely on point production. Although I know it doesn’t tell the whole story, you can’t dismiss it completely.

This is coming from a big fan of Nils, by the way, and I still think he has Fox upside.

This is so backwards.

It’s fine if you don’t have time or resources to watch prospects. It’s a given that it’s not easy and it is NOT REQUIRED to be a fan. However, if this is a case it becomes more about listening and hearing opinions of others that do have the ability and do follow prospects and watch them play, rather than stat surfing to form and EXPRESS your own opinion (especially such basic stat as goals and assists that definitely can’t tell nowhere near the full story when it comes to defensemen). Once again, knowing and understanding context is important.

Lunkvist is a good example. Last season he was put in the position to generate offense (PP opportunities as well as green light to jump into the play in the offensive zone) and he took advantage. Being a PPG defenseman at his age was an accomplishment but his game continued to develop in other areas too. This season from the reports i read (last season I was able to watch) the ask is different, the emphasis is more on the defensive side and not on the offensive production and as a result the points are not there.

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
This is so backwards.

It’s fine if you don’t have time or resources to watch prospects. It’s a given that it’s not easy and it is NOT REQUIRED to be a fan. However, if this is a case it becomes more about listening and hearing opinions of others that do have the ability and do follow prospects and watch them play, rather than stat surfing to form and EXPRESS your own opinion (especially such basic stat as goals and assists that definitely can’t tell nowhere near the full story when it comes to defensemen). Once again, knowing and understanding context is important.

Lunkvist is a good example. Last season he was put in the position to generate offense (PP opportunities as well as green light to jump into the play in the offensive zone) and he took advantage. Being a PPG defenseman at his age was an accomplishment but his game continued to develop in other areas too. This season from the reports i read (last season I was able to watch) the ask is different, the emphasis is more on the defensive side and not on the offensive production and as a result the points are not there.
Chill out. That wasn’t my main point. I don’t mind listening to guys who do watch our prospects. In fact, I love that about these boards. The issue for me is that OP was using a patronizing tone to criticize those who do use points when they have not much else to go off of. However, once someone gives context, then you should take that into consideration. Of course points don’t tell the whole story, but ask any scout. Production matters too. I also didn’t say that I put a ton of stock into points for Lundkvist. It’s a general argument, and if you don’t know the context, then you use the best available resource, which is production.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Chill out. That wasn’t my main point. I don’t mind listening to guys who do watch our prospects. In fact, I love that about these boards. The issue for me is that OP was using a patronizing tone to criticize those who do use points when they have not much else to go off of. However, once someone gives context, then you should take that into consideration. Of course points don’t tell the whole story, but ask any scout. Production matters too. I also didn’t say that I put a ton of stock into points for Lundkvist. It’s a general argument, and if you don’t know the context, then you use the best available resource, which is production.

Please don't tell me to "chill out" - especially if the issue for you was OP's patronizing tone, lol.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Luleå's 2 games this week will be postponed due to confirmed COVID cases on the team.

Nils Lundkvist will travel to Helsinki this week to play in the Karjala tournament for the Swedish national team

Soon all SHLers will have had it.., ;)

I think Linköping have 24 confirmed cases among players. Djurgården has at least 5 but they haven’t released any info. Leksand got one but postponed their games, indications are many more. Luleå seemingly got at least a handful. This is just the last week or two.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Soon all SHLers will have had it.., ;)

I think Linköping have 24 confirmed cases among players. Djurgården has at least 5 but they haven’t released any info. Leksand got one but postponed their games, indications are many more. Luleå seemingly got at least a handful. This is just the last week or two.
Yeah I thought I saw Linköping had no J20 games for almost 3 weeks or something. Spreading big time I guess.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Luleå's 2 games this week will be postponed due to confirmed COVID cases on the team.

Nils Lundkvist will travel to Helsinki this week to play in the Karjala tournament for the Swedish national team

Russia decided to send their youth team. If I read it correctly youth means U-20 - as part of preparation for WJC.

P.S. Confirmed.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, and the 3 other federations opposed that, but I don't think it stopped Russia from sending an u20 team.

Yeah, other federations don't have regulatory / legal means to stop Russia. Personally, I like the idea for this largely meaningless tournament but would've preferred if they added a couple of older players in 20-23 range for stability.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't see Lundkvist on the Karjala Cup roster and he didn't play yesterday. So, maybe he opted out or something.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't see Lundkvist on the Karjala Cup roster and he didn't play yesterday. So, maybe he opted out or something.

Speaking of Kajala Cup. Russian U20 team coached by Igor Larionov beat Finns (men team that was on average 7 years older) 6:2 in the first game. Only one game, a bit of puck luck (and we will need to see how these Ruskies will do against Swedes and Czechs) but just interesting to understand the quality level shown at WJC by big 6.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
Whatever this means..
pretty indicative of the brutal start he’s had this season...not sure if its all the stops and starts from covid but he’s looked like a different player, not in a good way...tough look seeing people praising his SOG numbers (lol) when he’s getting walked by shl forwards repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad