Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hopefully Teumo or K’Andre develop as it would be nice to have a offensive LHD paired with him

We have a lot of prospects who can fight for a spot on the left.

I think short-term, Reunanen has the best shot at making it, but long-term Jones, Miller and Robertson can overtake him and even if we just have one of those 3 turning into a legit top-4 defenseman we are in good shape.

I really like Zac Jones and how he has developed. This upcoming season for Miller will be quite telling. The jump to pro hockey and how he handles that will be fun to observe

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
how is pointing out specific defensive miscues with video evidence a generalizing statement?

Because there’s obviously a difference between saying that Lundkvist was beat on a specific play in a particular game (everyone does) vs saying that his defensive game regressed this season - which is what you did.

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The beauty with Nils' slapper is that it seems to be so consistently low and heavy.

It isn't the kind of shot that beats NHL goalies often, but it looks like it will be damn difficult for even them to control rebounds from.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
gee, maybe the half a dozen times stat boy interviewed Nils could have something to do with it. Not sure what watching 25 years of hockey has on meeting and probing the inner thoughts of players in direct conversation. Not sure what watching 25 years of hockey even has on someone who has played hockey for like 5 years. Watching hockey isn't like a badge of honor you can wear to qualify yourself. Read his other posts. AKM watches these players more than anyone on this board.
Take a breath and relax.

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
Because there’s obviously a difference between saying that Lundkvist was beat on a specific play in a particular game (everyone does) vs saying that his defensive game regressed this season - which is what you did.
Bud...ask any scout in that circuit he was putrid in his first 10-12 games, certainly no small sample size and reasoning enough to question if his game will translate. Its the way he was getting beat which is/was concerning. If you’re the top defensive prospect playing in the shl, you shouldn’t be getting beat wide cleanly by fringe allvenskan type players. You shouldn’t be a dash 3 or whatever he ended up with in that game. Why is it so hard to acknowledge a players shortcomings while also recognizing his plus tools? Nil’s biggest asset is his steadiness. He thinks the game better than most, has an accurate shot off the 1T, and an active stick. He is also 5’10 and not particularly fast. He is not a shutdown defender. He is not an offensive dynamo. Give me 5 players who fit this profile and play on a top pairing in the NHL. List starts and ends with quinn hughes. That’s it. He is worlds away and then some from Lundkvist in skating ability and offensive prowess, which is what allows him to compete at that level. Luckily Nils is picking it up now and beginning to impact the scoresheet again. If everything pans out, I see a guy like jared spurgeon being a comparable. I’d be ecstatic, but he’a got a long ways to go.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Bud...ask any scout in that circuit he was putrid in his first 10-12 games, certainly no small sample size and reasoning enough to question if his game will translate.
4nffrh.gif

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The beauty with Nils' slapper is that it seems to be so consistently low and heavy.

It isn't the kind of shot that beats NHL goalies often, but it looks like it will be damn difficult for even them to control rebounds from.

I've said it here before but it's kinda like the way Duncan Keith shoots from the blueline. Not a lot of velocity on it, but he gets the puck off his stick so quick that the goalie doesn't have that much time to react. And when you have that on the PP, with the puck moving lateral, it's a huge asset on the blueline to have

Bud...ask any scout in that circuit he was putrid in his first 10-12 games, certainly no small sample size and reasoning enough to question if his game will translate. Its the way he was getting beat which is/was concerning. If you’re the top defensive prospect playing in the shl, you shouldn’t be getting beat wide cleanly by fringe allvenskan type players. You shouldn’t be a dash 3 or whatever he ended up with in that game. Why is it so hard to acknowledge a players shortcomings while also recognizing his plus tools? Nil’s biggest asset is his steadiness. He thinks the game better than most, has an accurate shot off the 1T, and an active stick. He is also 5’10 and not particularly fast. He is not a shutdown defender. He is not an offensive dynamo. Give me 5 players who fit this profile and play on a top pairing in the NHL. List starts and ends with quinn hughes. That’s it. He is worlds away and then some from Lundkvist in skating ability and offensive prowess, which is what allows him to compete at that level. Luckily Nils is picking it up now and beginning to impact the scoresheet again. If everything pans out, I see a guy like jared spurgeon being a comparable. I’d be ecstatic, but he’a got a long ways to go.

Just because he didn't rack up the points, doesn't mean he was putrid, as you say. He is playing a shutdown role this season. He is used in a different way. Last year, he played with Gustafsson and was more involved in offensive zone face offs. Watching the games helps.

Regarding the "getting beat clean by fringe Allsvenskan players", every defenseman has moments where a fringe forward skates by him. Remember Nigel Dawes against Chris Pronger? You keep talking about sample size, but then end up referring to a handful of individual plays to say he was putrid.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Reminds me of Shattenkirk but can skate.

Shattenkirk is the Carmelo Anthony of offensive zone cycles, where the play would slow down on his stick. Works on the third pair in an offensive situation. That's why teams used him the way they did when they wanted to go on deep playoff runs. It's a player that you can win with, but there are ways to maximize the player's assets.

It's also why they ran 7 defensemen as well. If you look at how the game can be impacted differently, that's a good model to follow imo. That allows you to adjust to different in game situations.

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I think short-term, Reunanen has the best shot at making it, but long-term Jones, Miller and Robertson can overtake him and even if we just have one of those 3 turning into a legit top-4 defenseman we are in good shape.

I really like Zac Jones and how he has developed. This upcoming season for Miller will be quite telling. The jump to pro hockey and how he handles that will be fun to observe

I haven't followed Tarmo's progress, but Jones is absolutely legit from what I heard. I didn't see a lot of video other than the international games, but the more decisive he gets as a skater with and without the puck the better he can be. Kid has some of best footwork you'll see when walking the line. He should be looking at clips from Quinn Hughes and Girard. Look at how both guys use spacing. Girard is imo the best long bomb passer out of the d-zone, that's a skill he should be adding. Same passing off the rush.

Miller should be looking to push for a spot with the big club, there's enough insulation if he needs time in the minors, but I think if they are going into camp trying to slot him in as that 3rd wave defender he will end up being exposed a bit if he's not ready, but if he is in that second layer on the left side, he can be more aggressive and play to his strengths, especially in the neutral zone. With the puck on his stick, he needs to lock it it mentally to either make the first crisp pass to the open man or just skate it up, use his body to protect the puck, and create spacing for the subsequent play.

Shut em down hard and fast. Move it up or skate it out. Get it on net or get it to the open man. -> Stack up some shopping money.

That's all he's got to do. If he's doubting himself and can't get out of a funk or needs more schooling, then he's in the minors. There's nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Bud...ask any scout in that circuit he was putrid in his first 10-12 games, certainly no small sample size and reasoning enough to question if his game will translate...

Why is it so hard to acknowledge a players shortcomings while also recognizing his plus tools?

So two things:

1. I haven’t seen these scouting reports this season you mention and your descriptions haven’t been the case in last season’s reports by other posters who watched him a lot, nor in the games that I watched and I did watched my fair share. Was he called out in the media? Did his coaches asked him for improved play?

2. It’s absolutely not hard to acknowledge and the Rangers prospects here are being scrutinized and criticized pretty regularly. Not knowing you I simply want to understand the basis for your assessment.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
ryan ellis ?

Reactions: leetch99

LafKak

Nov 14, 2020

Libor Hajek feelings are hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad