Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Said it from day one. He made a mistake going back to Europe. He should have been over here, training with the weight staff. Getting professional fitness training. That was a lot more important. Ask Kakko. Lundkvist knew he could play in that league already. It was pointless for him to go back. He needs to get more fit and stronger like Kakko had to when he came here. I don't believe for a second any fitness training he gets in Sweden is on the same planet as what he will get from an NHL training staff.

One could argue that this shows it was a good idea to go back, because clearly there is still room to grow in terms on consistency. He was split up from Gustafsson this season, so he doesn't have quite a talented partner anymore. He's dealing with a bit more adversity this year, which is good for his development. I rather he try to figure this out at home than come here and be overwhelmed with the amount of changes that are made. I would think we would have learned our lesson by now considering what happened to Kravtsov last season. There is no hurry here.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Even if he is off to a slow start, there’s an argument to be made that it’s ultimately a good thing, because it will teach him how to work through the downs that most players experience.

People tend to have an idea in their heads that development is a smooth line or curve going up. In reality, it’s not an unbroken process. A bad start to a season isn’t a big deal (even if it was true). A full season where it doesn’t improve is more of a red flag, but we’re not even close to that yet.

Exactly, can’t learn to work through adversity without eh... you know...

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
Embrace debate. Perfectly justifiable to question his performance this season when he’s producing at a far lower rate offensively, and hasn’t resembled anything close to a shutdown dman. If you want to bestow the “top/most nhl ready dman outside of the nhl” distinction on this guy like i’ve seen many do, be prepared for heightened expectations and criticism.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Embrace debate. Perfectly justifiable to question his performance this season when he’s producing at a far lower rate offensively, and hasn’t resembled anything close to a shutdown dman. If you want to bestow the “top/most nhl ready dman outside of the nhl” distinction on this guy like i’ve seen many do, be prepared for heightened expectations and criticism.

You didn’t reply last time so I want to ask again - you are making a generalizing statement about Lundkvist’s defensive play this season. It’s fine but please let us know - based on how many games watched?

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
You didn’t reply last time so I want to ask again - you are making a generalizing statement about Lundkvist’s defensive play this season. It’s fine but please let us know - based on how many games watched?
how is pointing out specific defensive miscues with video evidence a generalizing statement?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The more I read these hot takes, from both sides, the more I think we’ve only got 1-2 posters that have actually watched him play this season.
He's fine. He's facing tougher assignments and has, accordingly, had a bit tougher of a time overall. He hasn't been bad, at all. He hasn't looked as dominant because he's being asked to do more of the heavy lifting defensively.

The offensive output, that's a big "meh" from me. He's not a true OFD, so I didn't expect him to repeat what he did last season. I mean it's funny that when he wasn't scoring, some people (not just here) ran out screaming "That's not his game!" and then when he has a couple points are creaming themselves again. He's a PMD and will pick up points, but he's really unlikely to be a prolific scorer in the NHL.

His season has been fine. Not stellar, not awful, but fine.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He's fine. He's facing tougher assignments and has, accordingly, had a bit tougher of a time overall. He hasn't been bad, at all. He hasn't looked as dominant because he's being asked to do more of the heavy lifting defensively.

The offensive output, that's a big "meh" from me. He's not a true OFD, so I didn't expect him to repeat what he did last season. I mean it's funny that when he wasn't scoring, some people (not just here) ran out screaming "That's not his game!" and then when he has a couple points are creaming themselves again. He's a PMD and will pick up points, but he's really unlikely to be a prolific scorer in the NHL.

His season has been fine. Not stellar, not awful, but fine.

this is accurate.

anyone expecting Fox pt 2 here needs to hit the breaks a bit.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Good to see the goals go in. Slumps happen, people are human. Getting out there and shooting pucks is a good way to get your swag back. Both were smart shots. Nils is a very smart kid, he needs to keep his head up and make crisp plays like he usually does. He'll be just fine. I don't recall from memory, but did Lulea's power play units change from last year?

Reactions: egelband

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
what happened i thought one game is too small of a sample size? is it necessary for you hardos to move the goalposts when someone makes a salient point about a prospect? such weak rebuttals
Your arguments against Nils began with charts which actually made Nils look pretty good despite his slow start to the season points wise and saying it was "indicative of his brutal start to the season."

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Your arguments against Nils began with charts which actually made Nils look pretty good despite his slow start to the season points wise and saying it was "indicative of his brutal start to the season."

The reason his production last season was so great is because it's not even in his top-3 defining factors as a player. Production is really not what he is known for, but when that was added, it was great to see.

This season, the production isn't there because he is playing a different role. They use him to his strengths, in a shutdown role. With his gap control, lateral movement and ability to read the game, that's where his strength lies.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
How you can know that is beyond me. What I do know from watching hockey for 25 years is sometimes a few points can go a long way to getting a player who is slumping back on track with the added confidence.
gee, maybe the half a dozen times stat boy interviewed Nils could have something to do with it. Not sure what watching 25 years of hockey has on meeting and probing the inner thoughts of players in direct conversation. Not sure what watching 25 years of hockey even has on someone who has played hockey for like 5 years. Watching hockey isn't like a badge of honor you can wear to qualify yourself. Read his other posts. AKM watches these players more than anyone on this board.

LafKak

Nov 14, 2020
The reason his production last season was so great is because it's not even in his top-3 defining factors as a player. Production is really not what he is known for, but when that was added, it was great to see.

This season, the production isn't there because he is playing a different role. They use him to his strengths, in a shutdown role. With his gap control, lateral movement and ability to read the game, that's where his strength lies.
Hopefully Teumo or K’Andre develop as it would be nice to have a offensive LHD paired with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad