Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would have preferred Lundkvist sign an ELC and be assigned to Hartford or Lilga so he would be available for recall if one of the three incumbents on the right side were to get seriously injured.

Not sure that sends a great message to your players in Hartford or that Lulea would like the idea of being used as a Rangers minor league team. I think if he's in Lulea he's committed to that team for the year.

I also have to question whether there will be a 20-21 NHL season and even if there is if there will be a 20-21 AHL season. If 20-21 is played in empty arenas there will at least be some TV revenue---would the AHL work at all without fans in attendance? Will owners that are already losing money on their NHL franchises bankroll their AHL teams? Some might but I doubt all would.

European nations seem to have a better handle on the Covid-19 situation than we do. Right now it is pretty much out of control in large parts of the United States--I think it's best that our European players play over in Europe the next year or two.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
With the unknowns here with when next season will start, the rock solid right side of our D, The complete clusterf*** of a response to the coronavirus and nils being so so young. This is the right decision.

I wanted him to spend another year at least there even before this last season started regardless of what he did. There’s no rush at all.

The only downside is if he regressed out of boredom a bit. If he’s too good for the league (and he might be already) there’s a tendency to play down at times.

but for a 19/20 year old that shouldn’t be an issue.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With the unknowns here with when next season will start, the rock solid right side of our D, The complete clusterf*** of a response to the coronavirus and nils being so so young. This is the right decision.

I wanted him to spend another year at least there even before this last season started regardless of what he did. There’s no rush at all.

The only downside is if he regressed out of boredom a bit. If he’s too good for the league (and he might be already) there’s a tendency to play down at times.

but for a 19/20 year old that shouldn’t be an issue.

Yes, but there's a lot to gain for him. His team was the frontrunner for the championship and they missed out on that chance. He has a clear goal this upcoming season. And he is definitely on the shortlist for the national team and that's very valuable experience

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Can't blame him for sticking with the side of certainty. Plenty of opportunities for him with Lulea this season and potentially the national team. Not as if he's going to be fighting for bottom pairing minutes or something.

Reactions: DanishRanger

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Nils has top pairing upside. Does anyone know if he’s more of a Fox or more of a Brannstrom?

Coming into this season, I would've been more comfortable pegging him as a second pair type, albeit a potentially very nice second pair option.

But if he keeps doing what he's doing, and his trajectory holds steady, yeah top pairing isn't a terribly far-fetched concept.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I think he's a better skater than Fox. Stylistically, very similar. Great gap control, lateral movement is probably his strongest asset. The offense is nice, but that comes secondary
Yea he’s very similar to Fox. Minor differences here and there, but I’m happy with that comparison.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think he's a better skater than Fox. Stylistically, very similar. Great gap control, lateral movement is probably his strongest asset. The offense is nice, but that comes secondary

Just was going to post and ask this. Having a guy like Fox and Lundkvist in today's NHL is amazing. Add a guy like Miller and should be pretty good on the blueline. It's amazing that we have probably more depth on the blueline than at forward in our organization.

Reactions: Leetch3

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Certainly makes for an interesting situation with the rest of the right side D
Fox scoring 42 points as a rookie without much PP time feels like it does make it much easier to think about moving DeAngelo as he commands a big payday and Lundkvist being a stud prospect makes it feel like you're not even worrying that much about replacing the depth. I wonder if he'd be ready to step in right away in 2021.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Certainly makes for an interesting situation with the rest of the right side D
Fox scoring 42 points as a rookie without much PP time feels like it does make it much easier to think about moving DeAngelo as he commands a big payday and Lundkvist being a stud prospect makes it feel like you're not even worrying that much about replacing the depth. I wonder if he'd be ready to step in right away in 2021.

I think he would have been signed if we don't have the Corona shit going on.

I think they can pull him out of Sweden if/when the season starts if they want for camp and all that and then assess what they want to do with him. Like if hes absolutely ripping apart the SHL during the nhl off season, it would be foolish not to sign him and get a look at him.

IF hes good enough to play, awesome. If not, he can be loaned back to Sweden, play in the AHL, whatever. SHL is a strong league so if he wants to go back home, no issues there.

Thats if he isn't used as a trade chip.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think he would have been signed if we don't have the Corona shit going on.

I think they can pull him out of Sweden if/when the season starts if they want for camp and all that and then assess what they want to do with him. Like if hes absolutely ripping apart the SHL during the nhl off season, it would be foolish not to sign him and get a look at him.

IF hes good enough to play, awesome. If not, he can be loaned back to Sweden, play in the AHL, whatever. SHL is a strong league so if he wants to go back home, no issues there.

Thats if he isn't used as a trade chip.

definitely hard to say but his stock has just been skyrocketing and he's ELC cost controlled so I think that's why you hang onto him if you can...

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
definitely hard to say but his stock has just been skyrocketing and he's ELC cost controlled so I think that's why you hang onto him if you can...

Yeah I think moving on from DeAngelo just because he had a good season is crazzzy premature (you didn't say that, but I've seen it here) but at the same time, if he isn't going to play for the team and play really soon, would it be more worthwhile to move him for a 'now' piece?

I think I would, but it'd have to be for someone who is going to be here a while and doesn't cost a fortune. Those guys arent readily available.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If this kid dominates the SHL this year, or at least continues to be a very good player in that setting, the Rangers are really going to have to think hard about moving Tony D. It’s good that it seems like they’ll be able to make this decision based on actual data, given that Lundkvist is starting league play soon, vice projections.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Yeah I think moving on from DeAngelo just because he had a good season is crazzzy premature (you didn't say that, but I've seen it here) but at the same time, if he isn't going to play for the team and play really soon, would it be more worthwhile to move him for a 'now' piece?

I think I would, but it'd have to be for someone who is going to be here a while and doesn't cost a fortune. Those guys arent readily available.
If anything, I’d move Tony and Kravtsov for a high first or a blue-chip prospect. But for a “now” piece? No way! We’re too far from that.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If this kid dominates the SHL this year, or at least continues to be a very good player in that setting, the Rangers are really going to have to think hard about moving Tony D. It’s good that it seems like they’ll be able to make this decision based on actual data, given that Lundkvist is starting league play soon, vice projections.

He already dominated, and I expect him to be at least on the same level. He almost led his team in points, 2nd to only Gustafsson who had 1 more point in 1 more game.

But offense isn't even his strongest asset. I fully expect him to be called up for the NT again

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think Nils has top pairing upside. Does anyone know if he’s more of a Fox or more of a Brannstrom?

He appeared to be a physically less mature version of Fox when i saw them play at the prospects camp last year. A few years in age makes a big difference physically.

Offensively they appeared similar while defensively, and there wasn’t a lot of physical play, nobody really stood out yet Fox was stronger in the corners.

Circling back to age and physically, Miller appears to have matured more physically since prospects camp so Nils likely has too.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
If anything, I’d move Tony and Kravtsov for a high first or a blue-chip prospect. But for a “now” piece? No way! We’re too far from that.
Kravtsov was a 9th overall only two seasons ago and I'd be ecstatic to pick a player of DeAngelo's caliber anywhere from 5th-10th. Unless you're talking about LA's 2nd then I am not even remotely interested. I don't see any reason to move Kravtsov and if DeAngelo is going then it better be a hockey trade for a young NHLer on a good contract that fits a position of need. We do not need to hoard more picks at this point. We are not that far off from the start of our window.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

It depends on whether the "now" piece is also a "later" piece. If Columbus was dumb enough to take that package for Werenski, I wouldn't hesitate.

Reactions: CasusBelli

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It depends on whether the "now" piece is also a "later" piece. If Columbus was dumb enough to take that package for Werenski, I wouldn't hesitate.

Now or later —- imo, the problem is they have to make a Strome decision now. I would opt for arbitration for one year which is rarely mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad