Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Nils doesn't have to replace Tony, he just has to be a good 3rd pair d which i have no doubt he will be, the real truth though is he could be Fox light which would be bonus. The return for Denagelo should make it a net positive when you factor in salary cap, addition of Lundkvist and the holes you fill with the trade. Ive said it all along, i expect tony to sign a short deal here but never see the end of it in NY.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The brooks article was silly in terms of the Rangers not signing Lundkvist. He’s coming over ask @Amazing Kreiderman he’ll tell you it’s a certainty.

But there’s no reason to move DeAngelo right now. Honestly there isn’t a reason to move him until It’s time to pay Fox if anything.

it’s always made sense to sign him to a bridge deal here and get the most out of him. Have to continue to give him reps on the left side as well.

When was the last time a European Rangers prospect turned down an ELC to sign elsewhere? Marek Zidlicky? I don't even know if he was offered a contract at the time but that's the most recent one I can think of.

Lundkvist is signing his ELC with us. His family expects him to move to New York next year, he is excited to play at MSG.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
When was the last time a European Rangers prospect turned down an ELC to sign elsewhere? Marek Zidlicky? I don't even know if he was offered a contract at the time but that's the most recent one I can think of.

Lundkvist is signing his ELC with us. His family expects him to move to New York next year, he is excited to play at MSG.

Yah I don’t recall if we ever thought much of him. Remember him finally playing with Nashville at like 26 and being a player.

but no I can’t recall anyone else holding out that was actually offered a contract

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What makes him "behind" Fox? He actually played more time per game than Fox did.

There may be reasons to trade DeAngelo, but Lundkvist is not one of them. And none of those reasons are manifesting themselves right now.

so we agree then

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That is great. But where are you coming up with DeAngelo is a third pairing and Fox is a second pairing when DeAngelo played more time, per game?
Sucks that nils can’t play LD. I think Lundy and trouba would be a great pair and I think the skill sets of each player would compliment the other. Highly doubtful they even try it. I would give it a shot though. That would solve a whole heap of problems.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
the part where we are moving ADA to make room for Nils.

That may be what you are saying but unless I missed something, the poster he quoted explicitly said that Nils makes ADA expendable.

And FWIW, I would agree with you. They aren't going to trade ADA because of Nils. It is mostly because Fox has blown away their expectations and Trouba isn't going anywhere.

He's a stud prospect. Said it many times. It is a disgrace he isn't ranked in the top 10 prospect wise by every scouting service. Makes DeAngelo totally expendable.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's been his full time job for 5 years now. Since Gorton took over, he lost his sources and he's just a rambling blogger now
:rolleyes:

Would he have more stature in your eyes if he followed around the family members of prospects for fun pictures and cute stories?

The hate he gets from amateur hacks and other random twitter types is beyond the pale.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
:rolleyes:

Would he have more stature in your eyes if he followed around the family members of prospects for fun pictures and cute stories?

The hate he gets from amateur hacks and other random twitter types is beyond the pale.

I dunno. Larry seems to branch off more and more into questionable conjecture each year.

That Vince guy seems to be pulling the best information from the team at the moment.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The brooks article was silly in terms of the Rangers not signing Lundkvist. He’s coming over ask @Amazing Kreiderman he’ll tell you it’s a certainty.

But there’s no reason to move DeAngelo right now. Honestly there isn’t a reason to move him until It’s time to pay Fox if anything.

it’s always made sense to sign him to a bridge deal here and get the most out of him. Have to continue to give him reps on the left side as well.

Agree (and the same thinking should be applicable to the other similar situations with Strome and Buch).

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I dunno. Larry seems to branch off more and more into questionable conjecture each year.

That Vince guy seems to be pulling the best information from the team at the moment.
Vince is great, but he has plenty of speculative articles as well. The difference is that Vince is upfront about when he is speculating. That's what always drives people crazy about Brooks--he blurs the line between reporting and editorializing and apparently some people can't tell the difference.

To act like he's some crazy old man yelling at clouds is silly. Especially from those in the blogosphere who can only dream of being ten percent of what Brooks is today (and I mean literally today--completely ignoring the Hall of Fame career he has had to this point).

Reactions: Harbour Dog

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is this a dig @Amazing Kreiderman ? IMO Less called for than calling out Larry on some of the crazier stuff he puts out there from time to time.
It's a dig at people who are trying to make a name for themselves in blogging or journalism who feel the need to constantly throw shade at the old guard for doing things differently.

"Rambling blogger." GTFO with that. He wrote a great piece on Tom Seaver the other day. He is a gifted journalist. His focus has shifted from covering Rangers-related minutiae to more opinion pieces and general sports coverage. That's fine. Vince is the flavor of the moment. Vince is also gifted and will one day move on, like Sam Weinman and some of the other really good, really thorough beat writers before him. Brooks will still be Brooks. Carp has been around a long time and was loathed by many and basically not even a name in Rangers-space for what, a decade? Then he lands the gig with The Athletic and he's doing good stuff. And Brooks is still Brooks, and will always be Brooks until he hangs them up. And he deserves more respect than he gets from those I alluded to.

But, that's not the time we live in, so whatever, I guess.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's a dig at people who are trying to make a name for themselves in blogging or journalism who feel the need to constantly throw shade at the old guard for doing things differently.

A. Larry does seem to have less insider info since Sather got out of the picture. Gorton is more tight lipped and there’s been less need for negotiations via media recently

B. It is pretty easy to differentiate between insider nuggets and his personal musings as his personal thoughts are often beyond the realm of realism and / or sprinkled with factual errors.

C. His relationships with players, coaches etc had also taken a hit compared to even as recent as 7-10 years ago since he chose to “constantly throw shade” on the subject matters of his writing because once his feelings had been hurt and he couldn’t let go of it.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I think much of the vitriol directed at Brooks stems from his own doing. He was fairly adversarial or can be, similar to Tortorella, with whom he had run-ins. There's no grey area, you either like him or hate him.

You also have to factor in the print media is going bye bye so there's a unique pressure on him and the other writers at newspapers such as the Post and NYDN. It makes their work more of a guerilla type of reporting. He still has sources around the league and writes some good articles.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think much of the vitriol directed at Brooks stems from his own doing. He was fairly adversarial or can be, similar to Tortorella, with whom he had run-ins. There's no grey area, you either like him or hate him.

You also have to factor in the print media is going bye bye so there's a unique pressure on him and the other writers at newspapers such as the Post and NYDN. It makes their work more of a guerilla type of reporting. He still has sources around the league and writes some good articles.
Yeah, I think Brooks seems like an unpleasant person, but is a very good writer and is connected like no one else out there. I haven't noticed any slipping since Gorton took over. The Rangers are very good at getting the message out that they want out there, but that goes for Brooks and the TSN crew.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
04DCE6FC-AD8B-4F2F-A020-B12088BA73B6.png
Yeah, I think Brooks seems like an unpleasant person, but is a very good writer and is connected like no one else out there.

the weekend is over, stop drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad