Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah you have to think the current situation here with Covid played into this decision because he is ready to make the jump over seas from a development standpoint.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Kinda glad he ended up having to stay in Sweden another year. Let him marinate. Wish we could’ve done that with Lias but we rushed him in hindsight IMO.

Reactions: Kupo

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah because his country doesn't have it either. Smh

Not nearly as bad as the US. And hockey is actually starting there before the new season in NA.

Yeah you have to think the current situation here with Covid played into this decision because he is ready to make the jump over seas from a development standpoint.

Yes, the current situation played into his decision. He will not be able to join the Rangers mid-season. This isn't a situation like Lias who was with the Indians on loan.

Also, a full season in the SHL and CHL, plus national team games, is a much better experience than bus rides to Utica, Rochester and Bridgeport.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not nearly as bad as the US. And hockey is actually starting there before the new season in NA.

Yes, the current situation played into his decision. He will not be able to join the Rangers mid-season. This isn't a situation like Lias who was with the Indians on loan.

Also, a full season in the SHL and CHL, plus national team games, is a much better experience than bus rides to Utica, Rochester and Bridgeport.

Or having to drag around Marc Staal.

Reactions: UnSandvich

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kinda glad he ended up having to stay in Sweden another year. Let him marinate. Wish we could’ve done that with Lias but we rushed him in hindsight IMO.

He's ready. He dominated last year.

But if he isn't playing regular minutes with the Rangers, I'm fine with him playing another season in the SHL, it's a quality league.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
If COVID were to miraculously disappear, I have no doubt Nils would be at training camp in 2020. He made the smart move to continue playing hockey. The situation in the US is a disaster.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

But if he isn't playing regular minutes with the Rangers, I'm fine with him playing another season in the SHL, it's a quality league.

3rd best league in the world. And when you're good enough you can make the jump straight to the NHL.

Aho, Heiskanen, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Pettersson and Donskoi, to name a few, jumped straight into the NHL when they were ready. Lundkvist at age 21, after 3 full post-draft seasons in the SHL could easily be the next one to do that.

A year in Europe playing against the top teams in the SHL, with the right draw some good Finnish or Swiss teams in the CHL, and the national teams of Russia, Finland and the Czech Republic in the Four Nations tournaments, is IMO better for his development than some bus rides to Utica, Rochester and Bridgeport and playing 3 games in 3 days followed by 4 days of just practice.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
3rd best league in the world. And when you're good enough you can make the jump straight to the NHL.

Aho, Heiskanen, Kopitar, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Pettersson and Donskoi, to name a few, jumped straight into the NHL when they were ready. Lundkvist at age 21, after 3 full post-draft seasons in the SHL could easily be the next one to do that.

A year in Europe playing against the top teams in the SHL, with the right draw some good Finnish or Swiss teams in the CHL, and the national teams of Russia, Finland and the Czech Republic in the Four Nations tournaments, is IMO better for his development than some bus rides to Utica, Rochester and Bridgeport and playing 3 games in 3 days followed by 4 days of just practice.

Do you think Gunler will be back there next season as well?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm not convinced we're going to have an NHL season next year let alone an AHL season. In that sense Nils does himself and the rest of Rangers fans a favor if there is (as I'm kind of suspecting there will be) an SHL season. He has a place to play in a very good league.

Reactions: Kakko Schmakko

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If COVID were to miraculously disappear, I have no doubt Nils would be at training camp in 2020. He made the smart move to continue playing hockey. The situation in the US is a disaster.

How is it not As bad in Sweden as it is here? Don’t they have the fewest restrictions of any country? Herd immunity?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If Lundkvist can't beat out Staal or Smith this year after his season in the SHL, he's in serious trouble. I've heard that DeAngelo can play the left side. So, I don't see the issue. I also don't see the organization putting Staal or Smith on this roster next year. IMO, next year the rebuild is over. The Rangers will expect to make the playoffs and compete for the cup as they should. Another year for Fox, Lindgren, Chytil, Kakko, Howden, Lemieux. These kids should start maturing. Especially Chytil, Howden and Lemieux. They should all take big steps up with their games. Fox is so mature for his age and Kakko so talented, I would not be surprised to see both the them take a huge step up with their games as well.

All of your points stand, but Lundkvist could literally be Wayne Gretzky on defense and I’m not sure he’d be able to push Staal out of the lineup. I hope I’m wrong and this is finally the year we let him sit, but I would never be surprised to see Staal beat out someone who is clearly more deserving of playing time.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
All of your points stand, but Lundkvist could literally be Wayne Gretzky on defense and I’m not sure he’d be able to push Staal out of the lineup. I hope I’m wrong and this is finally the year we let him sit, but I would never be surprised to see Staal beat out someone who is clearly more deserving of playing time.

one has nothing to do with the other. Nils as a RD isn't going to push a LD out of the lineup

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
one has nothing to do with the other. Nils as a RD isn't going to push a LD out of the lineup

I’m responding to a post that starts with “if Lundkvist can’t beat out Staal or Smith” and virtually everything in my post is tongue in cheek.

But, more practically, if Nils is too good to not play in the NHL, someone from the right is moving over, logically Tony. Tony moving to the left could bump Staal out, and Nils earning a spot would be the catalyst for that. You do know that not every team in the NHL has 3 LHD and 3 RHD? Because it doesn’t matter how good Nils is, he’s not pushing any of the roster RHD out, and he also isn’t going to rot in the minors just because we have 3 RHD. Do you know how many teams have uneven splits?

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Exactly, Nils to me is another Fox with actually more upside and that is scary for other teams. DeAngelo can move to the left or to wing. I think TDA would be a star wing in this league while still playing the point on the PP. The point is that Lundkvist is way too good to waste another year in the SHL. It's a bad move.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Steven, do you think he might have some kind of opt out clause? Did the release say firm one year contract or was it ambiguous?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think we should pump the breaks on Nils a bit. I'm happy him and K'Andre aren't being rushed. This is a big boy league and the kid is only 19. Another year or two will make big difference in his strength and stamina. Plus Staal and Smith will be gone so will really give us an idea what the future of the d will look like.

Reactions: mschmidt64

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

I don’t see how we fit him into the lineup consistently when we have Trouba/Fox/ADA on the right side.

i don’t think he would have played in the NHL if he came over, and I’d rather have him playing in the SHL next year than the AHL, tbh.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Steven, do you think he might have some kind of opt out clause? Did the release say firm one year contract or was it ambiguous?
Sounds like it's just a year. He's making sure (as sure as one can be) he has somewhere to play for 20-21.

Even without an out clause, there's a transfer agreement so we can still sign him. We just have to pay a transfer fee.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah because his country doesn't have it either. Smh
The SHL can still happen even if attendance is limited.

There are some uncertainties about the AHL this coming year and ensuring playing time for Lundkvist is critical for the Rangers. Lundkvist is likely ready for the NHL but we are overloaded at RD and there is no need to rush him. Let him dominate and grow his confidence and body even more before moving over in another year.

His 3 yr entry level deal will be even nicer at that stage as he will bring even more to the table.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Do you think Gunler will be back there next season as well?

Yes. Gunler is not going anywhere. Whoever will draft him will leave him in Sweden

Sounds like it's just a year. He's making sure (as sure as one can be) he has somewhere to play for 20-21.

Even without an out clause, there's a transfer agreement so we can still sign him. We just have to pay a transfer fee.

From what his agent told me, there is no clause in his contract. And the window to sign EU prospects is June 15th so he will play the entire season in Sweden unless his team agrees to mutual termination of his SHL contract with approval of the IIHF. @nyr2k2, Transfer agreement doesn't apply once the season has started.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I would have preferred Lundkvist sign an ELC and be assigned to Hartford or Lulea so he would be available for recall if one of the three incumbents on the right side were to get seriously injured.

Last edited:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I would have preferred Lundkvist sign an ELC and be assigned to Hartford or Lilga so he would be available for recall if one of the three incumbents on the right side were to get seriously injured.

Honestly, putting the RD-discussion to rest is indefinitely worth more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad