Best Hoglander nickname

• Total voters

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Its not really an i sound though.

Its more of a oo sound.

As on De Dutch Panekoek House that people in Vancouver will have heard pronounced on ads

Just play the clip at the link, incase we are still thinking something different phonetically. (Sorry if this is gibberish :D )

Grulemieux

Jan 28, 2021
Its not really an i sound though.

Its more of a oo sound.

As on De Dutch Panekoek House that people in Vancouver will have heard pronounced on ads

It’s much more similar to the i sound in bird. To be honest panekoek sounds nothing like it

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Would not be surpised to see Hoglander get 50+ points next year the guy is probably the hardest working Canucks besides Motte

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think the league has been looking for somebody who is the next Gallagher for awhile.

anybody else knows of one
But Hoglander has to considered.
Elite forchecking
Super strong 5v5 possession

I mean he’s right there to take the mantle and & run with it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think the league has been looking for somebody who is the next Gallagher for awhile.

anybody else knows of one
But Hoglander has to considered.
Elite forchecking
Super strong 5v5 possession

I mean he’s right there to take the mantle and & run with it.
Yeah, I think we have our Gallagher.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I thought the kid would hit a wall but he just keeps getting better. His non stop motor and compete is what really has impressed me. Think they should be using him on the top PP. He’s really creative and would probably thrive in that situation.
He likely won’t quite make the top 3 Calder finalists but what a run the team has had! Boeser, EP, Hughes and now Hoglander.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This kid's work along the wall is almost uncanny. How a 20 year old kid who's 5'9" and 185 can consistently go into the corners and come out with the puck is hard to believe sometimes.

But if you watch him closely, his ability to turn on a dime and slide off checkers is a skill you just can't teach. But in typical Green fashion he was taken off the pp in favor of Tanner Pearson in this game.

But if he stays in the top six and gets some decent looks on the pp next season, I could easily see him hitting 50 points. What a draft pick!

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
This kid's work along the wall is almost uncanny. How a 20 year old kid who's 5'9" and 185 can consistently go into the corners and come out with the puck is hard to believe sometimes.

But if you watch him closely, his ability to turn on a dime and slide off checkers is a skill you just can't teach. But in typical Green fashion he was taken off the pp in favor of Tanner Pearson in this game.

But if he stays in the top six and gets some decent looks on the pp next season, I could easily see him hitting 50 points. What a draft pick!
His skating yes. But moreso his hands.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I’m pretty sure the kid has improved his acceleration over the season.
Edge work is as good as it has been.

This guy is something else.
Bout damn time the Canucks struck gold in the 2nd round

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
This kind of forward is so, so useful to have. He's never gonna put up a ppg season most likely, but he's gonna get you 60 points and work his ass off while having elite defensive play in his prime. That's a valuable part of a team.

If he is anywhere near a Hossa-lite we have ourselves a player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I’m pretty sure the kid has improved his acceleration over the season.
Edge work is as good as it has been.

This guy is something else.
Bout damn time the Canucks struck gold in the 2nd round
I agree....he's definitely picked it up with his skating since the start of the season. He's now a threat going wide and his lateral agility is off-the-charts.

With his hands, if he can also become a speed winger, he's going to be a load to handle not only on the forecheck but also off the rush. I see IMac has picked him as the 'most positive Canuck story' in this mostly dismal season. How can you argue?

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I agree....he's definitely picked it up with his skating since the start of the season. He's now a threat going wide and his lateral agility is off-the-charts.

With his hands, if he can also become a speed winger, he's going to be a load to handle not only on the forecheck but also off the rush. I see IMac has picked him as the 'most positive Canuck story' in this mostly dismal season. How can you argue?
Here’s a hot take, a lot of people say hog is a speedy/dangler kind of forward but imho he’s a power forward.
He drives the net, has a low center of gravity, he is crazy strong in his core and leg muscles, capable of pulling out sharp turns and he’s exceptionally good at puck possession and protecting the puck along the boards.
Which all brings me to my point, he’s amazing at drawing penalty and attention from opposition.
Basically what we all hoped virty can turn into

I really don’t see a lot of people being able to push him off the puck easily except for the monster players like lucic chara etc.

Our SHL scouts needs a raise, they’ve been solid the past few years.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Here’s a hot take, a lot of people say hog is a speedy/dangler kind of forward but imho he’s a power forward.
He drives the net, has a low center of gravity, he is crazy strong in his core and leg muscles, capable of pulling out sharp turns and he’s exceptionally good at puck possession and protecting the puck along the boards.
Which all brings me to my point, he’s amazing at drawing penalty and attention from opposition.
Basically what we all hoped virty can turn into

I really don’t see a lot of people being able to push him off the puck easily except for the monster players like lucic chara etc.

Our SHL scouts needs a raise, they’ve been solid the past few years.
he's more like a Crosby-lite than a powerforward with his board play, puck protection, and motor, but I know where you're coming from.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
If anyone had told me before the season started that Hogs would outscore Stützle and Lafreniere in their rookie campaigns, I'd have said "OH MAN, that's kind of nutzoid, but I appreciate your hopeful, crazy words." And yet, here we are.

That was some awesome drafting.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Hoglander gives us a legit 2nd line...

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

I wouldn’t be shocked to get about 230pts from that top line next year, and 160pts from that 2nd line, which would put us in a decent position assuming our defense and goaltending is reasonable.

It’s nice to have a surprise prospect come in and be a difference maker. I mean, I thought there was a good chance Hoglander would be an NHLer in some capacity, but definitely not this quickly or at this level.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
These games are meaningless, we missed the playoffs in February where Hoglander had 1 point. This kids season hasn’t been all rainbows, I think he’s a 3rd liner next season let him reign in a secondary role.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
These games are meaningless, we missed the playoffs in February where Hoglander had 1 point. This kids season hasn’t been all rainbows, I think he’s a 3rd liner next season let him reign in a secondary role.
He's a rookie scoring on a 40 pt pace that actually drives play. He'd be a 2nd liner on most teams in the league.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's going to be crazy good as soon he adjusts to speed of the NHL. In the SHL, he was able to hold on the puck much longer and pull of the Michigan at will. Once hes fully comfortable with the pace, he's a staple for the top 6.

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Demko, Miller, Schmidt, Rathbone, Hoglander, and Podkolzin is one hell of a core. It's also likely Canucks will be adding a top 10 pick in this year's draft which will be another good piece to build on.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoglander just turned 20 in mid-December.....only a couple of weeks away from being eligible for the WJHC.

I'm struggling to come up with a single 20 year old rookie, other than Pavel Bure and Trevor Linden, who broke into the Canucks lineup and stayed in the top-six for the entire season. Not even the Sedins' accomplished that.

I don't think some posters are aware of how hard that is or how rare it is. By the time he's 24, Hoglander is going to be a serious load for teams to contain out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad