Player Discussion Nils Hoglander PART III

Best Hoglander nickname

• Total voters

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He's going to be crazy good as soon he adjusts to speed of the NHL. In the SHL, he was able to hold on the puck much longer and pull of the Michigan at will. Once hes fully comfortable with the pace, he's a staple for the top 6.

Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Demko, Miller, Schmidt, Rathbone, Hoglander, and Podkolzin is one hell of a core. It's also likely Canucks will be adding a top 10 pick in this year's draft which will be another good piece to build on.
Another top 10 pick will be great, and then we add in the top 10 picks from 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025 we will have one dynamic TOP core of the league

Man I love this management strategy :yo:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
These games are meaningless, we missed the playoffs in February where Hoglander had 1 point. This kids season hasn’t been all rainbows, I think he’s a 3rd liner next season let him reign in a secondary role.

Ideally he’s a perfect 3rd liner on a contending team right now. But I think he’ll develop into a legit 2nd liner as early as next season, or possibly the season after.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Another top 10 pick will be great, and then we add in the top 10 picks from 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025 we will have one dynamic TOP core of the league

Man I love this management strategy :yo:

Haha... I sense the sarcasm, but I think we have a decent chance to be a legit playoff team the year after next. Next year, I have no idea.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Normally the reason a young player slips down the depth chart or even out of the lineup at times, is attention to defensive details.

But with Hoglander he's just as tenacious and effective in his own zone as he is at the other end of the ice. And as much or even more than his offense, is the fact that he's one of the better two-way wingers they have.

In fact I've seen guys like Pearson, Horvat, Virtanen, Miller and Roussel make more mistakes in their own zone that he has. When he has no play, it's off the wall and out consistently. He's a player the coach can totally rely on.

Reactions: bh53 and deckercky

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Almost all his points are ES. He's 3rd on the team at 23 ES points. Boeser has 28, Horvat has 25, and Miller is behind Hog with 20. Ranks right around 100th for forward ES scoring. Holds up on the eye test too - strong on his skates, good on the boards, good forechecking, there's flashes of his hands and dangles, strong motor, defensively responsible, there's lots to like.

He's already a bonafide top 6 player that's on track to become a top line player if he manages to keep developing despite Green the prospect stagnation king being the coach.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
He's 3rd on the team at 23 ES points.
Its stunning how little PP1 time he has gotten. Honestly forget how he has so many points despite being on our travesty of a pp2. Legit should be in calder talks for that fact alone. not that he should win, but a nod would be nice.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Normally the reason a young player slips down the depth chart or even out of the lineup at times, is attention to defensive details.

But with Hoglander he's just as tenacious and effective in his own zone as he is at the other end of the ice. And as much or even more than his offense, is the fact that he's one of the better two-way wingers they have.

In fact I've seen guys like Pearson, Horvat, Virtanen, Miller and Roussel make more mistakes in their own zone that he has. When he has no play, it's off the wall and out consistently. He's a player the coach can totally rely on.
Yes was going to say I expected good things offensively this season from him but was unsure how hed handle the d side.

But forget the d zone play he also makes great o zone defensive plays. He made a nice one on Drai or McD, cant remember

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

A plug and play winger. No adjustment needed since he's joined the team. Fit right in almost seamlessly, and he has loads of potential.

How he didn't go in the 1st round is beyond me.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Kids a stud, if he repeats on this next year with some PP do we lock him up to a lower-hit, longer term extension?

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Yes, pleasantly surprised how he has learnt the defensive side of the game so quickly, thought he would need at least half a year to adjust on that. Glad I was wrong!

As long as he can handle the wear and tear of an increased role next year, yes he should be signed long-term.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hoglander -> Highlander -> The Immortal.

hoglander + highmore

= highlander + hogmore?

upload_2021-5-10_20-46-43.gif

Reactions: Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoglander, Demko and lately Rathbone.....the only reason to watch Canuck games for most of the season. Studs, all of them.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
This Kid
He's in the top 20 in takeaways amongst all players. Tied with Barkov
Top 10 in Takeaways/Per60
solid all around game

I had no idea, but it matches the eye test. Kid is elite in contact, either keeping the puck or retrieving it.

Reactions: Breakers

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Somebody mentioned a sophomore slump, but usually you see that in rookies that started strong, then faded at the end of their rookie season. In Hog's case, he has actually picked up production in this last part of the season with 14 points in his last 18 games. And this is without Pettersson providing that extra offense, so I can see him continuing on into next season at a decent clip.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
We might actually have an alright top 6 next year if if you swap pods and Pearson.

Miller - Petey - Brock
Hogs - Horvat - Podz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad