Player Discussion Nils Hoglander PART III

Best Hoglander nickname

• Total voters

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
They are not the same player but, after all is said and done, we could be looking back on Hoglander's career and realize he had a Burrows-like impact on his team. Grit, tenacity, and an unrelenting will mixed in with some serious skill. Excited to see how his career progresses.

As of now he is 8th in goal scoring from his draft year, ahead of guys like Dach and Newhook all with around 200 games.

iRageWin

Aug 7, 2014
I know not every including myself is biggest fan of these charts but I thought this was cool.

Yeah these numbers are often somewhat arbitrary, but I feel like it accurately reflects Hoglanders play this season. And it's not like he suddenly developed elite defensive skills -- he's just fully bought in to the system and keeping his feet moving and maintaining a high pressure forecheck. Offensively he's always had the puck skills, but the added defensive effort is allowing him and his line to have more puck possession to produce.

I'll never fully understand how offensive wingers with decent skating can bust out of the league -- you pretty much just need to keep your feet moving, forecheck, backcheck and you'll be at least passable defensively as a winger. I guess some people born with natural talent don't want to put in the effort.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He's like a bowling ball along the boards, the way he crashes through guys. Comes away with the puck almost every time. Still relatively young, so he could become even more physically imposing, which is a bit funny to say about a 5'9" player, but its true. Opposing players are wary of him when he is charging towards them.

He's pretty stout though. He outweighs Pettersson by a decent amount despite being 5 inches shorter. Sort of reminds me of Samsonov, not necessarily in playing style but in being somewhat tank like. Heavy lower body.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He's pretty stout though. He outweighs Pettersson by a decent amount despite being 5 inches shorter. Sort of reminds me of Samsonov, not necessarily in playing style but in being somewhat tank like. Heavy lower body.
There's a video of Hoglander effortlessly doing handstand pushups with most of his weight over empty space and not directly over his point of contact with the ground. If you can do that, you're basically at the finish line of how much strength and body control can help you and you are working harder at it than most athletes ever will. It's one reason I never lost faith in him.

Reactions: johan f

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
There's a video of Hoglander effortlessly doing handstand pushups with most of his weight over empty space and not directly over his point of contact with the ground. If you can do that, you're basically at the finish line of how much strength and body control can help you and you are working harder at it than most athletes ever will. It's one reason I never lost faith in him.
Calisthenics?

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
his balance and core strength are insane. So many times ive had to rewind games this year to see how he stayed on his feet during collisions/battles; he's a lot like Garland that way.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I like how hes outhockeying the opposition lately

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
High praise from Kevin Bieksa on HNIC......says Hoglander would be one of the guys he would most hate paying against, if he was still patrolling the blueline in the NHL.

Hoglander is absolutely relentless and fearless on the forecheck, despite his size. and consistently drives d-men nuts down low. A total of 20 even-strength goals--one of the highest in the NHL--speaks volumes about how effective he's been.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Will be the best forechecker in the league. Outnumbered, outsized, off balance, broken stick, tired, doesn't matter. That's Hogs puck, and we all just live in it.

hog-rider-coc.gif

Reactions: CanucksSayEh

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Knew this guy an NHL player since he started a brawl with that huge giant B>tch Derek Forbort.

He had a 6'4 230 ib veteran defencman in his feelings for a clean hit as a rookie
Got crossed checked in the back twice and didnt retaliate

then got put in a rear naked chokeand finally drew a penalty

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The hands and confidence on that 2nd goal. No wonder Tulsky tried stealing this guy for Ethan Bear.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoglander and Podkozlin are living proof that 'who' you draft is less important than 'how' you develop them.

Both guys had fairly impressive rookie seasons, but then fell off the table in the second seasons and ended up in the minors--which is where they probably should have started from the beginning.

But the Canucks were so thin in talent on the parent club, that they were basically 'force-fed' into the lineup, with unfortunate consequences. But hopefully all is well, that ends well.

By comparison, they're bringing along guys like Raty, McWard, Sasson and Silovs the right way. And I suspect they'll be equally patient with kids like D-Petey, Lekerimakki and Wilander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad