Prospect Info: Nils Höglander

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm sure that Cam Abbott knows his stuff and that Hoglander has some work to do on the defensive end, but Dude, there's a time and a place. Your player scored what might be a candidate for goal of the year, there's no need to call him out on national TV for his deficiencies just then.
I think the Rogle coach is speaking with a bit of a forked tongue. He's probably hoping that the Canucks will return Hoglander to the SHL after training camp, since the AHL is 'iffy'. And why not? He's on fire with 10 points in 12 games and is setting up a half dozen scoring chances a game with his speed and creativity.

Sorry Cam, but unless this stretch of games is a mirage, Hoglander isn't seeing the SHL again this season. Canucks should stick him on a line with Pettersson and let the magic happen.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I'm sure that Cam Abbott knows his stuff and that Hoglander has some work to do on the defensive end, but Dude, there's a time and a place. Your player scored what might be a candidate for goal of the year, there's no need to call him out on national TV for his deficiencies just then.

why not?

keep him focused on getting better

he's clearly got fancy goals down; i doubt Nils' confidence is gonna be shattered here

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I think the Rogle coach is speaking with a bit of a forked tongue. He's probably hoping that the Canucks will return Hoglander to the SHL after training camp, since the AHL is 'iffy'. And why not? He's on fire with 10 points in 12 games and is setting up a half dozen scoring chances a game with his speed and creativity.

Sorry Cam, but unless this stretch of games is a mirage, Hoglander isn't seeing the SHL again this season. Canucks should stick him on a line with Pettersson and let the magic happen.

I like this explanation, but question the format for delivering the message. Surely this can be conveyed to Canucks management directly and to Hoglander and his camp privately.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I like Abbot's line that there is a lot more to hockey than scoring. Kind of along the lines all he does is score touchdowns. Well if you are going to do one thing well that is the best one thing. I am sure turnovers in neutral zone can be corrected but teaching what he did to score good luck

I actually laughed when I heard Cam Abbot saying that in the clip above. Ok he wants to keep the pressure on his players and all that, I understand the coach perspective. But they had just dominated one of the other upper-half-of-the-series teams, Höglander 1+1, with a possible goal of the year goal.
Abbot: - [not impressed]

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
why not?

keep him focused on getting better

he's clearly got fancy goals down; i doubt Nils' confidence is gonna be shattered here

Because it makes you a look like a raging a**hole. That's why not.

Even the Swedish commentator was taken aback and Abbot had to backtrack and clarify. Just let the kid have his moment FFS.

Maybe this is an ongoing frustration he's had with this player. I get that. I feel the same with some people I supervise. But again, time and a place.

Last edited:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Listening to 1040 this morning, they had a Swedish journalist on (apologies can’t remember the name).

He was asked if he thought Hoglander was ready for the NHL and he said no.

Basically stated Hoglander is someone who still needs a lot of work in the other areas of his game and that playing out the season in the SHL would be most beneficial.

Compared his goal to essentially YouTube highlights. You get to see the one moment of wow but not all the other minor things that a player needs to do still.

The skill is evident, clearly. I think the only way he makes the team is because the Canucks have a void in the Top 6 and you take a chance on a kid who can potentially provide something this team is missing.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Because it makes you a look like a raging a**hole. That's why not.

Even the Swedish commentator was taken aback and Abbot had to backtrack and clarify. Just let the kid have his moment FFS.

Maybe this is an ongoing frustration he's had with this player. I get that. I feel the same with some people I supervise. But again, time and a place.
?

hahaha what?

In coaching/ training you must continuously keep your student focused on improving.

If you think Nils Hoglander needs "his moment" to appreciate another hot shot goal, when that's all he seems to focus on, while him becoming a full time NHLer is likely dependent on his improvement of his defensive game, then well, I'm just glad Abbott is his coach.

I'm going to venture to say that this was the exact time he's got to tell Hoglander what his deficiencies are. Take that chip right off his shoulder. Don't let him think he's made it. Get him focused on getting better; because he's got room to improve.

sugar coating is for baking.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Listening to 1040 this morning, they had a Swedish journalist on (apologies can’t remember the name).

He was asked if he thought Hoglander was ready for the NHL and he said no.

Basically stated Hoglander is someone who still needs a lot of work in the other areas of his game and that playing out the season in the SHL would be most beneficial.

Compared his goal to essentially YouTube highlights. You get to see the one moment of wow but not all the other minor things that a player needs to do still.

The skill is evident, clearly. I think the only way he makes the team is because the Canucks have a void in the Top 6 and you take a chance on a kid who can potentially provide something this team is missing.

Yeah. Hopefully Hoglander doesn't fall into the "Not defensively good enough for bottom six, not offensively dynamic for top six" black hole.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
?

hahaha what?

In coaching/ training you must continuously keep your student focused on improving.

If you think Nils Hoglander needs "his moment" to appreciate another hot shot goal, when that's all he seems to focus on, while him becoming a full time NHLer is likely dependent on his improvement of his defensive game, then well, I'm just glad Abbott is his coach.

I'm going to venture to say that this was the exact time he's got to tell Hoglander what his deficiencies are. Take that chip right off his shoulder. Don't let him think he's made it. Get him focused on getting better; because he's got room to improve.

Yeah sure, not going to argue about keeping him on point, do the coaching in the room, but is it necessary to "take that chip off" on TV? The player is not being interviewed... the coach just seems a tad dour. All that said, I dont expect to see him in van in 2021, still lots of room for developement.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
?

hahaha what?

Yeah, which he should have done privately. You know, like a decent person would.

Hoglander didn't just come off a terrible game. It was at worst mixed. No need to tear a strip off of him because people are excited about his highlight reel goal.

Here's a sample script that would have accomplished the same thing without being a jerk:

"Haha, yeah that was a pretty nice goal. He's a young player with a lot to learn, especially on the defensive side of the game, but he's been really coming along and we're happy to see his game make strides. "

See? Not that hard to do.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems to me this conversation mirrors what we heard about Elias Pettersson before he broke into the league. "Too slight to be an 'impact centerman' right away, and bad on faceoffs. Will have to work hard on his defensive game." Seems laughable looking back on it now.

Not saying Hoglander will mimic what Pettersson has done, but 'defensive deficiencies' are dramatically overrated imo, particularly when a player has the puck all the time. I mean who would you rather have patrolling the wing for the Canucks? Louie Eriksson because he's a 'good defensive winger, who can kill penalties' or an up-tempo scoring game with Hoglander? It's a no-brainer isn't it?

This upcoming season should be one of 'experimentation' for the Canucks. Which young guys can play, and which can't. I know that won't stop Green from trotting the same old bodies out there like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and even the aforementioned Eriksson. But I just pray they give Hoglander some rope to learn and adapt to the defensive game in the NHL, before they consign him to the press-box. Always the biggest concern with this coach.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Seems to me this conversation mirrors what we heard about Elias Pettersson before he broke into the league. "Too slight to be an 'impact centerman' right away, and bad on faceoffs. Will have to work hard on his defensive game." Seems laughable looking back on it now.

Pettersson's defensive play was lauded by his SHL coach, and even before he was drafted his 200-foot play in Allsvenskan drew praise from scouts.

Hoglander has some genuine skills but it's rare for a 2nd-round draft choice to play in the NHL in his D+2 season. Most likely he will need a little more time to round out his game.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Pettersson's defensive play was lauded by his SHL coach, and even before he was drafted his 200-foot play in Allsvenskan drew praise from scouts.

Hoglander has some genuine skills but it's rare for a 2nd-round draft choice to play in the NHL in his D+2 season. Most likely he will need a little more time to round out his game.
to be fair he was expected to be picked late first, but fell for whatever reason. He was ranked as high as mid first in a few of the media's lists. I am not in a hurry to bring him up yet. Seeing him in a Rögle powerhouse team is great.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yes, but it can be very misleading to have good underlying numbers if you're playing sheltered minutes, which it sounds like Hog is playing.
I've heard this mentioned but have yet to actually see any usage statistics, or an analysis of the quality of the competition he has faced, or hear from anyone who has watched his games regularly.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Figured I'd post a couple of his highlight videos (plays are from the 18-19/19-20 seasons + 2020 WJC) as it's always fun to re-watch them every now and then.

It's a bit of a cliche, but the puck doesn't stay on his stick for long. He makes a lot of clever touch passes, and passes off of broken plays/rushes.

Of course, these are highlight packages. We're only watching the plays that worked, and in quick succession. But this player is still impressive.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
?

hahaha what?

I would argue that his creativity is the most important thing to nurture. It is the one thing that needs confidence to grow. For the most part defense for a winger is easy to teach, especially to a player with above IQ.

The absolute most important thing for Hoglander, is to allow him to be creative, and not get down on him. I have done enough coaching to know, you don't teach that.

From what I have noticed in my limited viewings of Hoglander is that he is quick, and has hands, and IMO, he is learning to use those skills offensively against men this year. The SHL is a stepping stone for any talented Swede, and it is not entirely necessary that he play multiple seasons there, But it is necessary that he have success.

IMO, Swedes are very proud of their players, and love to see them reach the best leagues, but they also cringe, every time one leaves. I am sure after seeing Pettersson have such success here, they realize just how blessed they are to have young talent play at how. I will say that Scandinavians are very possessive in a good way, so I think it is a double edged sword for them.

Hoglander has known defense in every league he has ever played in, and either his offense has been out of this world, and they have left him alone, or he has learned to play defense, when he doesn't have the puck. In the between the legs goal, he stripped the puck off of the opposing player in the corner, before making his moves, so he has that ability....he actually has it at a high speed, as seen on that play.

So, I would not be too worried if he makes the odd turn over, while still developing his offense. It is actually pretty easy to play wing in your own end, if you don't cheat.

Leave him alone........his defense isn't terrible by any stretch and Green will teach what he needs to know.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
IMO, Swedes are very proud of their players, and love to see them reach the best leagues, but they also cringe, every time one leaves. I am sure after seeing Pettersson have such success here, they realize just how blessed they are to have young talent play at how. I will say that Scandinavians are very possessive in a good way, so I think it is a double aged sword for them
FYI, it's "a double-edged sword".

Reactions: zcaptain
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad