Prospect Info: Nils Höglander

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Kind of a dumb question / out of the loop a bit, but is he eligible for this training camp? Or is he coming next year?

Edit: looks like he is. So excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Typical Canucks Army guys not understanding that skill guys playing soft 2nd line-type minutes always generate great raw Corsi numbers. Fine prospect, but a meaningless stat.
Not that I was ever a big proponent of Canucks army ( i do like Jeremy Davis’ prospects work) I feel like I’ve outgrown their content.I get that I’m probably not the target demographic but it’s all rose tint.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not that I was ever a big proponent of Canucks army (like Jeremy Davis’ prospects work) I feel like I’ve outgrown their content.I get that I’m probably not the target demographic but it’s all rose tint.

It seems like a requirement to write there is to be an ambitious stats nerd who doesn't actually understand the stats you're presenting.

The consistent use of raw Corsi out of context is exhausting. Again, my favourite will always be them hyping Patrick Wiercioch as a home-run signing based on his great Corsi numbers generated while getting 70% o-zone starts next to Erik Karlsson. And they just keep doing it, across the board, seemingly with all their writers.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Is that video posted of his goal anywhere else? I get the sound but only a black screen.

Edit, found it ... great goal.

And found a comment saying he has turnovers that cost goals, so he has some work to do. From the coach.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know one thing. On the one hand you love the confidence of this kid to try and succeed in some of those showboat plays. But I wonder how some of the grizzled veterans in the NHL will react to those hot-dog moves. He's probably going to have to keep his head up. Because the law of jungle in the NHL, is that you take liberties with every rookie who comes into the league, particularly one with the skill to show you up.

And looking up and down the Canucks lineup, there's not a lot of players who'd have his back if he starts getting singled out for special treatment.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
It seems like a requirement to write there is to be an ambitious stats nerd who doesn't actually understand the stats you're presenting.

The consistent use of raw Corsi out of context is exhausting. Again, my favourite will always be them hyping Patrick Wiercioch as a home-run signing based on his great Corsi numbers generated while getting 70% o-zone starts next to Erik Karlsson. And they just keep doing it, across the board, seemingly with all their writers.

This is the reason why when doing any experiment/collecting data you have to list any and every factor/uncertainty that may have an effect on the data. Any "Stat nerd" who doesn't know this probably hasn't taken a science/math course above high school.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Getting ripped for his defensive play. Really hope Green gives him a long leash. Don’t have as much confidence in Green developing young player who aren’t bonafide stars like Boeser/Pettersson/Hughes

His skating with possession is amazing. Pay attention to his feet in that clip and watch how he keeps generating speed even when he has no room to make strides.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I know one thing. On the one hand you love the confidence of this kid to try and succeed in some of those showboat plays. But I wonder how some of the grizzled veterans in the NHL will react to those hot-dog moves. He's probably going to have to keep his head up. Because the law of jungle in the NHL, is that you take liberties with every rookie who comes into the league, particularly one with the skill to show you up.

And looking up and down the Canucks lineup, there's not a lot of players who'd have his back if he starts getting singled out for special treatment.
Hoglander has a meanness to him too, which is great to see in such a gifted offensive player. He will lay an elbow into a guy’s chops, and take a suspension if needed. Hogs and Pods are coming soon, and bringing some serious skill, edge, and mean to our top nine.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good god! To be able to make that move at full speed in a game is just insane skill.
Reminds me of Pettersson but without the elite shot and one timer that EP has. Could be a hell of a fun top 6 to watch if he makes it. And then add Podzolkin’s skill set which looks like it could be just what the team needs. A steady two way possession player.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Miller Pettersson Hoglander
Podz Horvat Boeser
Pearson Gaudette Virtanen
Motte Roussell Macewan

extras: Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Eriksson, Etc

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This is the reason why when doing any experiment/collecting data you have to list any and every factor/uncertainty that may have an effect on the data. Any "Stat nerd" who doesn't know this probably hasn't taken a science/math course above high school.

Unfortunately random stats are used far to much online, and why stats can be dangerous and misleading when you dont consider all factors and take into consideration every statistic that does effect the outcome. Very few people put in that much work when they post.

And its why random stats are also flung around on here to support a posters argument when they often dont have a complete picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Getting ripped for his defensive play. Really hope Green gives him a long leash. Don’t have as much confidence in Green developing young player who aren’t bonafide stars like Boeser/Pettersson/Hughes

I'm sure that Cam Abbott knows his stuff and that Hoglander has some work to do on the defensive end, but Dude, there's a time and a place. Your player scored what might be a candidate for goal of the year, there's no need to call him out on national TV for his deficiencies just then.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Beautiful goal but man did the coach throw some shade. Never heard a coach be that blunt.

Edit: except personally...lol

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Beautiful goal but man did the coach throw some shade. Never heard a coach be that blunt.

Edit: except personally...lol
I think it’s pretty common in Europe. That’s why we always get juicy quotes from NHL Europeans when they’re being interviewed in their home country compared to the hundreds they do here.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I'm sure that Cam Abbott knows his stuff and that Hoglander has some work to do on the defensive end, but Dude, there's a time and a place. Your player scored what might be a candidate for goal of the year, there's no need to call him out on national TV for his deficiencies just then.
I like Abbot's line that there is a lot more to hockey than scoring. Kind of along the lines all he does is score touchdowns. Well if you are going to do one thing well that is the best one thing. I am sure turnovers in neutral zone can be corrected but teaching what he did to score good luck

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Beautiful goal. There is a lot to be excited about in Canuckville. Pettersson, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, as very good to great top 6 forwards, potentially adding Hoglander and Podkolzin to the mix would be amazing.
Awesome to see Hoglander doing so well thus far in Sweden, he's on a tear. Hopefully he can keep the pace up throughout the entire season. Hogs is a great prospect.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Hoglander's skill and nastiness for dynamic attack is obviously very good, but once again I agree with much work to be done before becoming a complete pro, as mentioned by the coach. I would think though that the Nucks now have a good enough core that can allow Hoglander be played at an appropriate role while he adapts, and Green will find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->