Prospect Info: Nils Höglander

Status
Not open for further replies.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
The canucks have all their big guns on PP1. Who is going to help him produce on PP2? Sven would look good right now on PP2 and on Bo's wing instead we have Pearson who is hot for 5 games and cold for 10-15.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
upload_2021-2-3_13-14-25.jpeg

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I really like Hoglander and think he has a very bright future. That said, I think a surprising number of people are getting a bit carried away talking about where he will rank among all-time Canucks. We're 20% into his first season. Let's pump the brakes.

Yah, I'd still be cautious about pumping him as a future 1st liner or something. But there are reasons to be excited. He's legitimately been the Canucks best player so far.

He's been showing great playmaking (2nd in the league in shot assists), driving play better than anyone on the team, and by eye has been very effective on forecheck recoveries and board battles. The Harman Dayal piece today was glowing.

The Canucks' future turns around quicky if Hoglander and Podkolzin do become play-driving top-six calibre players.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

This dude is going to have a long NHL career. Canucks are having a second wave of prospects while the first wave is still getting better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After the Virtanen experiment as a top-six winger flamed out, where would the Canucks be without Hoglander? It almost eases the pain of having Tofoli walk for nothing and stick it to us with eight friggin' goals. 'Almost', but 'not quite'. Maybe by the end of the season.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Especially when Virtanen and Roussel could have potentially been dealt to sign Toffoli.

But back to Hog - man he reminds me of Gallagher a bit, he could carve out that kind of career. What a great pick out of the 2nd round no less. It's tough to find a high-motor, play-driving winger anywhere and they usually never get traded.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

I could see he was setting up Horvat and Pearson a lot, but I didn't realize how proficient he was at it. Somebody who is that good at setting people up should be playing with the teams best sniper, and that is Pettersson. And he should be playing on the 1st unit PP.

If people are getting over excited about this guy (myself included), I don't blame them. He is showing signs that he could be an elite player. That combination of a tenacious puck hound, high skill, and his ability to process things very quickly, make him a very dangerous player.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I could see he was setting up Horvat and Pearson a lot, but I didn't realize how proficient he was at it. Somebody who is that good at setting people up should be playing with the teams best sniper, and that is Pettersson. And he should be playing on the 1st unit PP.

If people are getting over excited about this guy (myself included), I don't blame them. He is showing signs that he could be an elite player. That combination of a tenacious puck hound, high skill, and his ability to process things very quickly, make him a very dangerous player.
I dunno. Pettersson is also a playmaker.

Maybe Boeser would be a better fit.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah, I’m on board with giving him an extended look on line one and bumping Miller down to try to jump start the offense

(And no, I’m not counting the games against Ottawa, that’s arguably the worst NHL roster during the past 5-10 years.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I liked the Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser line for the brief time they were together.
That sounds good to me Kinger. I wonder if Miller together with Horvat could work

Hoggs Pettersson Boeser
Miller Horvat Gaudette
Pearson Sutter Motte
MacEwan Beagle Virtanen

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know after watching that Bruins-Flyers game on Sportsnet last night, I can readily see the comparisons between Marchand and Hoglander.

Marchand is just relentless on the puck and also has an uncanny ability to find seems and holes in the defense down low. Hoglander is only 13 games into his NHL career. At some point the game will start to slow down for him, and he'll figure out ways to use the other players on his line even better.

Not saying that Hoglander's career will mirror that of Marchand--although the Canucks would be over the moon if it did. But with his skill and relentless motor, he's going to be a fixture in the Canuck lineup for years.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
You know after watching that Bruins-Flyers game on Sportsnet last night, I can readily see the comparisons between Marchand and Hoglander.

Marchand is just relentless on the puck and also has an uncanny ability to find seems and holes in the defense down low. Hoglander is only 13 games into his NHL career. At some point the game will start to slow down for him, and he'll figure out ways to use the other players on his line even better.

Not saying that Hoglander's career will mirror that of Marchand--although the Canucks would be over the moon if it did. But with his skill and relentless motor, he's going to be a fixture in the Canuck lineup for years.

Marchand and Gallagher are the players that I see as the closest comparable to Hoglander. We know Hoglander can play with an edge like those guys as well.

I'm hesitant to suggest that Hoglander will end up having the kind of impact Marchand has had for the Bruins, but I believe Marchand was a bit older when he came into the NHL. The fact that Hoglander is looking better at 19 years old is a great indication he'll mature into something special.

Reactions: zcaptain

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020

I was thinking that the other day, Marchand wouldn’t fit out of place on the Bruins. Which is a testament to playing well despite smaller size.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Man this kid is so strong on the puck and disruptive in the other teams zone.

Love it. One of the few bright spots so far this season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I touched on this in the post game thread, but what might most impressive is that while the rest of the team has wilted badly in this super condensed schedule (14 games in 23 nights) he has kept his level of play up, every game, and he plays a high energy type of game. Incredible athlete.
This an excellent observation.....this is the point in a condensed schedule where normal rookies start to hit the wall a bit.....the pressure and physical demands of playing every second night begin to take their toll.

But if anything, Hoglander looks stronger as the games have progressed. And his best period is often in the third. For a 20-year old kid, he must be one superbly conditioned athlete. Just imagine what he'll be in a few years when he's even physically stronger and has a better idea of the demands of the NHL. Canucks have something special here....glimmer of light in what is looking like a darkening season.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
With his smarts, ability to intercept passes and win battles on the boards, Hoglander will one day be an elite penalty killer.

Something like Bure.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Except the part where he's a dirty little annoying prick. Hope he keeps it to just little annoying prick instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad