Prospect Info: Nils Höglander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
It's honestly a real shame Horvat is skating in quicksand and has lost his finish in the last 10 games, because otherwise Hoglander might actually be putting up rookie-of-the-year points in that timeframe. He's carrying that line, making plays out of nothing, and it would be cool if he were actually getting the points to show for it.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
You gotta think he will start putting away some of his glorious chances. 3 shots on goal, and one post. He's so crafty with the puck, with the ability to make a good pass, the ice just opens up for him. He gets his passes off really fast too. Defenders simply can't anticipate what he is going to do. Decent velocity on his shots too.

Top 5 in redraft? It's too early but it certainly is possible, because this guy is extremely talented. Did he just suddenly improve since his draft, because if this guy was picked top 10 in the draft, we would still be very pleased with his play, but a huge steal at 40.

I was following his games in Sweden esp after taking an interest in Seider. He was not as assertive all over the ice like he is right now. His confidence is always a feature because he has the sublime hands to make it happen, but he seems to be "attacking each shift" the way the blue jackets do in playoffs. That part of his game was not so evident when he was in Rögle, so maybe he's just a very driven guy that steps up when it's called upon? But he defers to his linemates a lot more back there, and it was Seider and the first line that was dominant in their run. He was an integral part of the secondary attack though, what I believe we are seeing is that his linemates are playing at his wavelength and he is thriving esp with Pearson who had a track record of being a good complimentary player when playing a possession type game.

He has the trust of Green offensively and defensively. In a redraft right now, I do believe he will go top 10 top 12. Way too early I agree, but his motor and hands tell me he won't drop off the radar suddenly.

Reactions: Indiana

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Rangers managed to destroy the confidence of a guy coming of one of the best 17yr old season in Finnish League history and two World Championships in one year.

Now Lafreniere has 1 point in 13 games there...

I think they have no clue how to develop players, but who can blame them, they've never tried before.

Oilers 2.0.

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
I was following his games in Sweden esp after taking an interest in Seider. He was not as assertive all over the ice like he is right now. His confidence is always a feature because he has the sublime hands to make it happen, but he seems to be "attacking each shift" the way the blue jackets do in playoffs. That part of his game was not so evident when he was in Rögle, so maybe he's just a very driven guy that steps up when it's called upon? But he defers to his linemates a lot more back there, and it was Seider and the first line that was dominant in their run. He was an integral part of the secondary attack though, what I believe we are seeing is that his linemates are playing at his wavelength and he is thriving esp with Pearson who had a track record of being a good complimentary player when playing a possession type game.

He has the trust of Green offensively and defensively. In a redraft right now, I do believe he will go top 10 top 12. Way too early I agree, but his motor and hands tell me he won't drop off the radar suddenly.

Maybe one reason for him being more active now is the smaller rink? He feels he has a better chance at reaching the puck/players maybe. Think I saw somewhere he said he prefers the smaller rink.

Hope he can keep this tenacity up! Already a favorite for me.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Maybe one reason for him being more active now is the smaller rink? He feels he has a better chance at reaching the puck/players maybe. Think I saw somewhere he said he prefers the smaller rink.

Hope he can keep this tenacity up! Already a favorite for me.
I excellent point about Hogs preferring the smaller rink. His offence mostly comes from below the hash marks and coming off the wall. Plus he seems to enjoy the contact. I really like how he plays. I think as he gains confidence we will see his mean streak start to show.

Reactions: Artemis Clyde Frog

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
One of my favourite players to watch already this season. Love his hustle.

The Canucks site stats page still doesn't have a picture of him yet...dafuq 'Nucks...

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
One of my favourite players to watch already this season. Love his hustle.

The Canucks site stats page still doesn't have a picture of him yet...dafuq 'Nucks...
They need to get one with his Harry Potter mark. He is a wizard after all

Faloola

Feb 15, 2021
Love how his teammates are actively looking to get him the puck as well. He really likes to come back into his defensive zone and lugs the puck up himself.

As he grows, I would like to see him be the one to carry the puck in on the PP2 and to replace Horvat down low on PP1 when they struggle. I think he would be better suited to that down low position because of his passing.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Watching Hughes before the NHL, i got the sense he wasn't challenged enough. He floated more than he does now, and roved even more than he does now. I got the distinct feeling he was over it.

I wonder if Hoglander thought of the SWE as a stepping stone and not challenging him enough to spark his 100% ?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Watching Hughes before the NHL, i got the sense he wasn't challenged enough. He floated more than he does now, and roved even more than he does now. I got the distinct feeling he was over it.

I wonder if Hoglander thought of the SWE as a stepping stone and not challenging him enough to spark his 100% ?

In short, no. Its a really tough league to play in.

I think his skating suits the small rink better, also lets not discount the fact that he started the season in midseason form where other NHLers didn't have a training camp.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
And I'll make the Pavel Bure comparison again, because whenever he's on the ice, I say to myself "ok, now get the puck to Hoglander", because he has that ability to make things happen the way Bure did. He gets you on the edge of your seat whenever he has the puck. Exciting player to watch.

chum

Feb 27, 2002
And I'll make the Pavel Bure comparison again, because whenever he's on the ice, I say to myself "ok, now get the puck to Hoglander", because he has that ability to make things happen the way Bure did. He gets you on the edge of your seat whenever he has the puck. Exciting player to watch.

hoglander's skating and puck controlling style reminds me more of maxim afinogenov than pavel bure

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Enjoy well lasts cause next year in his sophmore slump other teams will study how to focus on this guy and will TRY in slow him down. If he truly WILL be a top line DYNAMO then will learn to battle thru that just like Pettersson AND Boeser have done

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
hoglander's skating and puck controlling style reminds me more of maxim afinogenov than pavel bure

I use to love maxim afinogenov, him and miroslav Satan

Another comparison I think would be apt had he been able to perform in the NHL but sadly could not was Magnus Svenson Paajarvi....that kid was Uber talented but couldn’t step it up, the comparison falls a little short as Hoglander has crazy puck pursuit, Hoggy is physical in the sense he isn’t afraid of contact whatsoever ( like Gallagher ) but he isn’t a muck it up guy like Marchand

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rookies who are 5'9" aren't supposed to be doing what Hoglander is doing, particularly along the wall. He only needs a second to shake and bake, and lose the guy who's preparing to rub him out. It's uncanny the way he can go into a scrum and come out with the puck--consistently.

I wish Green would just leave him on the Pettersson line for awhile to see what develops. I'd also consider him for first unit pp duty and drop Boeser down to the second unit. Still hard to believe that Hoglander is this good. You keep waiting for some sort of drop-off, but not happening so far.

Reactions: David71

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If anything those guys with compact builds-- not tall but fairly strong-- seem to come to hand a little earlier on average than the rangier types. The impressive part is simply that a kid who only turned 20 a month before the season started is doing a solid job on the second line after being drafted 40th.

Boeser is a fine goal scorer and I wouldn't drop him to PP2 lightly. Plus, what each brings to the table isn't really conducive to a switch in my opinion. PP2's issue is lack of playmaking and that's where Hoglander can help. There's enough playmaking ability on PP1 and Boeser's superior ability to put the puck into the net can be utilized there whereas on PP2 he would be the best playmaking forward-- and he doesn't excel as a playmaker, his forte is goal scoring.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
@Blue and Green Yes, Boeser is a fine goal scorer, but he has been relegated to a goal line spot on the power play where he can't use his shot, and through 18 games the second unit is 0% on the PP, so you may as well put Hoglander on the first unit which is struggling.

As a passer, Boeser is very slow and predictable. That's why his passes get intercepted so often. Hoglander buzzing around back there would completely confuse the goaltender and penalty killers. Hoglander would have them moving all over the place, to the point that prime passing opportunities open up, and the goalie would be positioned on the wrong side of the net a lot. But, it doesn't look like Green is going to budge, so I guess Boeser keeps his spot.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
@Blue and Green Yes, Boeser is a fine goal scorer, but he has been relegated to a goal line spot on the power play where he can't use his shot, and through 18 games the second unit is 0% on the PP, so you may as well put Hoglander on the first unit which is struggling.

As a passer, Boeser is very slow and predictable. That's why his passes get intercepted so often. Hoglander buzzing around back there would completely confuse the goaltender and penalty killers. Hoglander would have them moving all over the place, to the point that prime passing opportunities open up, and the goalie would be positioned on the wrong side of the net a lot. But, it doesn't look like Green is going to budge, so I guess Boeser keeps his spot.

How many of his passes have been intercepted this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad