Rumor: Nikolay Goldobin - Might be Going to the KHL -Next Season

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Several games ?

He would rightfully get benched for 2 weeks.

In his 1st game back ya he showed effort and compete but in the 2nd game back he went back to his old ways.

He cant even bring it when his career is on the line. This guys will wave the white flag and disappear in a playoff setting where you are playing every other night and physical level ramps up.
You are wasting your time. This guy is anti Uber

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Goldy at the time of the trade was 21 and already in the middle of his d+3 season. His value at that point is much less than the value he had when he was just drafted as a 27th overall pick. Yet another wasted asset chasing after other team's failed/poorly developing players.

Exactly.

No way he was worth a late first/early second three years post draft. A team like the Sharks offering him up at that point for a player like Hansen should have been a pretty good indication that he was not meeting expectations. It's just another notch in the long list of pro-scouting failures under this regime.

These two deadline trades were the only real feathers in the 'rebuild' cap of certain Pro-Benning posters. Now that they have both failed in predictable fashion, there is nothing really left to suggest that Benning has been 'rebuilding' this team outside of picking high in the draft.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat and MS

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the khl makes sense. he'd have been traded by now if anyone wanted him.

it is amazing how many skilled russian players seem to follow this path. it would be interesting to see an analysis of whether this is a language/cultural failure of the nhl to integrate these guys, or a difference in development approach that results in russians producing highly skilled players who cannot adapt to the north american game.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Several games ?

He would rightfully get benched for 2 weeks.

In his 1st game back ya he showed effort and compete but in the 2nd game back he went back to his old ways.

He cant even bring it when his career is on the line. This guys will wave the white flag and disappear in a playoff setting where you are playing every other night and physical level ramps up.

I thought he had one of his best games from a compete level and drive POV and I was super excited about his future because it seemed like he made a breakthrough. In his game. He was fighting for pucks, winning battles and creating chances all over the place. I thought it was his best game as a Canuck. Then Travis Green ripped him in the media in the post game. So I will have to go back to that game and re-watch his shifts because maybe I was wrong. But if I was right then Goldy’s struggles can be largely the result of Green dicking him around. Maybe afraid Goldy would steal his boy Sven’s spot on the roster? Who knows.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I thought he had one of his best games from a compete level and drive POV and I was super excited about his future because it seemed like he made a breakthrough. In his game. He was fighting for pucks, winning battles and creating chances all over the place. I thought it was his best game as a Canuck. Then Travis Green ripped him in the media in the post game. So I will have to go back to that game and re-watch his shifts because maybe I was wrong. But if I was right then Goldy’s struggles can be largely the result of Green dicking him around. Maybe afraid Goldy would steal his boy Sven’s spot on the roster? Who knows.

Sven spent most of the year on IR.

Why would Green not want someone that can help the team succeed be on the roster.
Success equals job security for Green.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
That being said, there are holes in Goldy’s game. We’ve seen teams like Calgary that play too much of an east to west style get obliterated by good north south teams like Colorado. Goldy needs to learn how to fit in better on a team that does the latter. But I’m confident that he will come into camp and prove himself and prove his critics wrong. When you think about it how many guys can finish like Goldy on the team? Petey, Boes, Bo? Maybe Sven? We can’t afford to kick a guy with his talent to the curb IMO. A plumber like MacEwen has absolutely NOT taken his job.. ridiculous suggestion.. they are much different players

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
but we still won the trade!

Wow seriously? Is THIS the reason why people want to kick this guy to the curb? Because then it makes one of Bennings trades look worse? :shakehead

Goldy has the SKILL everyone has been SCREAMING for and now fans are treating him like this? Because he had a stretch of games where he was snakebit? And people using the fact he played with Petey AGAINST him which is ridiculous. Who else is there to play with he can produce with? What happened to PATIENCE WITH YOUNG SKILLED FORWARDS?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Wow seriously? Is THIS the reason why people want to kick this guy to the curb? Because then it makes one of Bennings trades look worse? :shakehead

Goldy has the SKILL everyone has been SCREAMING for and now fans are treating him like this? Because he had a stretch of games where he was snakebit? And people using the fact he played with Petey AGAINST him which is ridiculous. Who else is there to play with he can produce with? What happened to PATIENCE WITH YOUNG SKILLED FORWARDS?
Elias asked for a new left winger. He certainly doesn’t want/ see Goldobin as a solution. A stretch of games where he was snake bit? If by stretch you mean whole career then I agree

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Elias asked for a new left winger. He certainly doesn’t want/ see Goldobin as a solution. A stretch of games where he was snake bit? If by stretch you mean whole career then I agree
That was debunked here...They even had to change the thread title..remember?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Its a slow month in Canuckville..a lot of bored media guys trying manufacture clickbait...Whats new?

Yep exactly. Media guys running out of things to talk about because everyone immiditaley turns the radio off when they hear Whitecaps or BC lions or blue Jays Raptors.

First Gillis rumor now Goldy. Slow month in the media world

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I was good with the trade at the time, would have been nice if he'd been traded last year if the Canucks were unsure about his development.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
No loss - Goldobin said the right things but his play on the ice just wasn't good enough. He's not NHL material from what we've seen. Even offensively left a lot to be desired.

When good scouting teams like San Jose give up on a prospect it's probably for a good reason.

I was going to post pretty much the same thing.

I didn’t like the return at the time and it went pretty much as expected given Goldobins issues.
I would have asked for a second rounder the following year rather than another reclaimation project,at least we might have a good prospect in the system rather than another AHL/NHL tweener clogging up the roster.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Why are we bringing back a guy who is 100% not good enough to be in the NHL, who is absolutely clueless when he doesnt have the puck and his compete level and motor is ECHL level.

Because as soon as Jim Benning signs a player, drafts a player, or acquires a player via trade the organization would, for some reason, rather part with a vital appendage than said player.

We continually have circular arguments about players that are clearly replacement level, while any sane organization would have already forgot 90% of these players even existed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Goldobin Is 100% not good enough to be in the NHL. He is absolutely clueless when he doesnt have the puck and his compete level and.motor is ECHL level.

Hmm ... it’s almost like Jim Benning is a bad judge of talent and was suckered yet again into overpaying for someone else’s junk.

Goldobin may not have turned out to be anything special, but it seems ludicrous to me that a team as bad as the Canucks didn’t take the time to leverage his strengths more and just try him out as a pure scorer (if nothing else, to flip him later).

Markus Näslund, acquired at a similar age (a higher pedigree yes, but 16th overall isn’t a slam dunk either) was a “one-way perimeter player” who Mike Keenan wanted to dump, but basically the Canucks had little much else and so he had no choice but to play him. His emergence turned out to be one of only, like, two positive developments of this time.

Bad teams do have the luxury of experimenting.

17-18, absolutely he should have received a bigger opportunity.

18-19 he was chained to Pettersson for huge chunks of the season getting 65% zone starts ... and did nothing with it.

There are a ton of skill players in the AHL or Europe or stuck in NHL depth roles who would kill for the chance Goldobin blew this year.

Reactions: timw33

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Hmm ... it’s almost like Jim Benning is a bad judge of talent and was suckered yet again into overpaying for someone else’s

If you want to consider Hansen and and his 4 regular season goals and 0 playoff goal in 2 seasons w. The Sharks an overpayment then be my guest.

I thought it was a fantastic trade at the Time. Blame should go to Goldobin for not reaching his potential rather than blaming coaching or management

Reactions: Red

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad