Rumor: Nikolay Goldobin - Might be Going to the KHL -Next Season

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by canuckfan75, Apr 28, 2019.

1. ChilliBilly

ChilliBilly Registered User

Engineer
    Part of the thing with Tryamkin was that if you take salary and taxes into account, he makes more money than he would on an ELC. (and he is more comfortable in Russia). Anyone know what his status will be when his present KHL contract concludes? I am assuming RFA, but it could be he needs to finish up his ELC. Which will affect his salary possibilities.

2. DonnyNucker

DonnyNucker Registered User

He wasn’t good enough to make the worst team in the league. He isn’t good enough to play in the NHL

3. DonnyNucker

How did he fair without Elias?

4. Hit the post

Hit the post I have your gold medal Zippy!

Professional Slacker
    That applies to a number of players on the team.

TruGr1t likes this.
  5. Eddy Punch Clock

Eddy Punch Clock Jack Adams 2028

I call dibs on the Audi.

MS likes this.
  6. DonnyNucker

What’s really bad news is you think Goldobin is a top 6 hockey player. I encourage you to watch a couple playoff games tonight and report back tomorrow on your findings. Hint. Goldobin couldn’t crank any of these teams rosters as he is awful. This team can’t afford to qualify a player that can only have marginal success when stapled to Elias

7. Bubbles

Bubbles Fire Benning

The thing I see about Russian players is that they are successful IF they are in the top 6 or a top-4 dman. If they are not in those roles, they can easily go back to Russia where those type of players will be on the top lines/pairings.

Goldy is a classic tweener, not good enough for permanent top 6 duty and doesn't score enough. The league is filled with these type of Russians that all go back to Russia at some point.

For the Canucks, I would stay away from drafting Russians unless they are going to contribute at the top end.

8. Peter10

Peter10 Registered User

:tmi:

Pip, MS and Jyrki21 like this.
  9. DonnyNucker

Half the roster to be precise

TruGr1t and Hit the post like this.
  10. Hit the post

Hit the post I have your gold medal Zippy!

Professional Slacker
    For some reason I’m reminded of Chuberov. Seemed liked he was turning into a solid 3C before he went home.

11. Momesso

Momesso High-End Intangibles

No loss - Goldobin said the right things but his play on the ice just wasn't good enough. He's not NHL material from what we've seen. Even offensively left a lot to be desired.

When good scouting teams like San Jose give up on a prospect it's probably for a good reason.

Bitz and Bites and DonnyNucker like this.
  12. DonnyNucker

And now Rick D is saying he probably isn’t going to Russia and he just fired his agent. Disaster averted lol :) will be interesting to see if we qualify him

13. Jack Burton

Jack Burton Pro Tank Since 13

[​IMG]

Said it at the time of the trade that this kid simply can not wrap the NHL game around his head. Complete waist of time, money and assets.

Oh, can ya please take Granlund and Poulton with ya before Benning does something really stupid like resigning them.

Tkx :thumbu:

14. I am toxic

I am toxic Herding Cats

I didn't say he is a top 6.

I said he could play in our top 6. When injuries inevitably hit.

And you have no idea how his game will translate into the playoffs, as we haven't seen it yet. There is no doubt in my mind that it would translate better than LE and Granlund.

And none of that takes away from my other points. It's just bad news. And it's self-inflicted, just like Tryamkin.

15. RonningMorrisonBooth

RonningMorrisonBooth Support the boys!

:laugh: So when I indicate that I'm willing to change my position on Russians based on new evidence you try to knock me for it? :huh: In my books that's a virtue :cool: You can call it whatever you want. It means a person's opinions are more likely to conform with REALITY :cool: Which I go to great lengths to make sure that mine do :cool: Good to know that to you, changing your mind based on evidence is a weakness to be mocked. :thumbd: That explains a lot!

Btw the report of Goldobin leaving now turns out weren't true so my initial position was vindicated. Have a nice day! :)

16. DonnyNucker

The problem is Goldobin can’t play in the bottom 6 while waiting for an injury to hit. He is absolutely worthless when the puck isn’t on his stick. I won’t get into Tryamkin because I know what happened and my story isn’t popular here. It sounds like Goldobin is staying so hopefully he takes his training serious this summer. It would be his last shot

17. Momesso

I don't really see it as bad news. The team needs to get past these 'tweener' types like Goldy, Baertschi, Granlund and Erikkson that are not hard on the puck (weak 'motor'), not physical or effective in any important role.

Add him to the pile that includes Linden Vey, Gagner, P. Larsen, Bartkowski, Leipsic, Pouliot etc. None of them are worth anything significant.

It's bad that Benning thought these players could be useful in the first place.

Look on the bright side - this opens up spots and time for the likes of MacEwan and hopefully Gaunce. Plus the team is likely to acquire a winger this summer and will likely draft a good one too. So there's really no room looking past this upcoming season.

Bubbles likes this.
  18. Bubbles

Bubbles Fire Benning

He was, and the minute he went back, he was on the top scoring lines. Unfortunately Goldy is nowhere near defensively good as Chubby.

Hit the post likes this.
  19. Jyrki21

Jyrki21 Todellakaan ole suomalaista Sponsor

Home Page:
    Goldobin may not have turned out to be anything special, but it seems ludicrous to me that a team as bad as the Canucks didn’t take the time to leverage his strengths more and just try him out as a pure scorer (if nothing else, to flip him later).

Markus Näslund, acquired at a similar age (a higher pedigree yes, but 16th overall isn’t a slam dunk either) was a “one-way perimeter player” who Mike Keenan wanted to dump, but basically the Canucks had little much else and so he had no choice but to play him. His emergence turned out to be one of only, like, two positive developments of this time.

Bad teams do have the luxury of experimenting.

daddyohsix likes this.
  20. timw33

timw33 Registered User

I didn't object to taking a high-skill player return for Hansen (would have preferred we took a pair of picks and had 2 18/19 year olds to develop of course), but what I did object to with this strategy is that there was clearly no cohesive plan between management and coaching to drop him into the lineup, give him tons of opportunity, and see if he can make anything of it.

The 16/17 roster was completely devoid of any semblance of talent and Desjardins, with the season already in the toilet, gives him absolutely no rope. Scores in his first game and gets 5 minutes of ice time. Averages around 10 minutes a game for the rest of the season—why even acquire this guy if we aren't going to try him out in garbage time? Better off taking a couple fliers on teenagers.

MS, Jyrki21 and TruGr1t like this.
  21. Hollywood Burrows

Hollywood Burrows Registered User

Wasn't Larionov his agent? This isn't the first time he's been fired by a player he represents.

22. DonnyNucker

Ya it was Larionov. Maybe Goldobin was pissed that the KHL rumour was leaked. Will be interesting to see how it plays out

23. Momesso

Naslund produced though - even early in his career with the Canucks. I do see parallels but Goldobin's lack of production given opportunities was very disappointing.

Benning, in his year-end interview did say he wanted Goldy to work on some things and come back for another chance. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Green said something similar.

24. Krnuckfan

Krnuckfan Registered User

Goldy at the time of the trade was 21 and already in the middle of his d+3 season. His value at that point is much less than the value he had when he was just drafted as a 27th overall pick. Yet another wasted asset chasing after other team's failed/poorly developing players.

25. DownGoesMcDavid

DownGoesMcDavid Registered User

Several games ?

He would rightfully get benched for 2 weeks.

In his 1st game back ya he showed effort and compete but in the 2nd game back he went back to his old ways.

He cant even bring it when his career is on the line. This guys will wave the white flag and disappear in a playoff setting where you are playing every other night and physical level ramps up.

Wo Yorfat likes this.