Rumor: Nikolay Goldobin - Might be Going to the KHL -Next Season

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yep, there was absolutely zero reason to not take a pure picks package for Hansen in what was yet another complete write off season.

Zero reason? You wouldn’t trade a pick for Goldobin at the time? The question is what the overall trade was worth. The trade was Hansen for Goldy and a conditional 4th. Goldy was a former 1st round pick who was producing at the AHL level and with legitimate top 6 skill. This is the type of players you target with an early 2nd or even late 1st.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Remeber the 2017 trade deadline when Benning finally "turned it around" and made his best trades? All that is left from it by this summer could be Petrus Palmu, Linus Karlsson and Kristoffer Gunnarsson. Might be even less considering Palmu and Gunnarsson have likely faded out of the teams plans.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Willy fault that Tryamkin went back to Russia.. Green fault that Goldobin is going back as well.

Our coaches just don't like Russians.

In my 25 years of watching Hockey. I never seen a coach pretty much single handedly destroyed a solid season by a young player. He was on pace for close to 50 points a season. Had one of the best Corsi on the team. Pettersson actually scores more with Goldobin than without him. All of sudden some healthy scratches and he couldn't recovered.

Green should be fired but I will leave that for another thread.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Willy fault that Tryamkin went back to Russia.. Green fault that Goldobin is going back as well.

In my 25 years of watching Hockey. I never seen a coach pretty much single handedly destroyed a solid season by a young player. He was on pace for close to 50 points a season. Had one of the best Corsi on the team. Pettersson actually scores more with Goldobin than without him. All of sudden some healthy scratches and he couldn't recovered.

Wrong,..wrong again...and wrong...Green personally likes Goldobin.(theres countless interviews demonstrating that)...Just does not like what he does on the ice.

Agreed on Willie though..He does not like Russians...

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com

Its been well documented that this management group & coaches struggle with developing actual prospects.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Remeber the 2017 trade deadline when Benning finally "turned it around" and made his best trades? All that is left from it by this summer could be Petrus Palmu, Linus Karlsson and Kristoffer Gunnarsson. Might be even less considering Palmu and Gunnarsson have likely faded out of the teams plans.

That’s the thing. You trade for draft picks and the list could be Linus Karlsson, Palmu etc. Or you trade for a “prospect” like Goldy or a more established player who is a lesser player than Hansen but younger.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Is there any evidence that anyone offered draft picks at any level for either burrows or Hansen?

There is a quote from Benning about not seeking draft picks as trade return because of his perceived length of time they take to have an impact.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Benning did get a draft pick back for Hansen. A conditional 4th that could have turned into a 1st.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I think I'm at the point now where I really would prefer it if we don't trade for, or draft Russians. There is just too much incentive to pack up and leave for home if things don't pan out right away. The KHL's salaries are the highest in the world after the NHL, and in some cases they can even be making more than they would here. What's the incentive to give your all for the Canucks?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Benning did get a draft pick back for Hansen. A conditional 4th that could have turned into a 1st.

If San Jose had won the cup. That 4th was dealt for a 5th and 6th which turned out to be Gunnarson and Palmu.

It is difficult to say what picks could have been had but I would say at least in the Burrows deal that was most likely the best value possible (might be helped by having Dorion on the other end). What made the Burrows deal bad is how Dahlen was handled, even without knowing details it appears to be completely screwed up. The Hansen deal is a different story as I dont think Goldobin was the right target but since they limited themselves by asking for young players in return (as the main part) it had to be expected. Even without using hindsight aiming for a a late first or a couple of 2nds would have been better.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If this happens I might be done with cheering for Russians on this team.. it just always ends in tears. And I really loved Goldy this year, cheered hard for him every game. Same with Tryamkin. We all know what happened with Bure too. Not gonna lie it would hurt to see him go because I believe he has the talent to be a difference maker in the NHL.

Glad to see you support Gillis' policy of not using 1sts on Russians

member 290103

Is there any evidence that anyone offered draft picks at any level for either burrows or Hansen?

No, but Benning does not appear at all to be interested in acquiring draft picks via trade. To him a draft pick represents a player that is too far removed from being able to assist his team from competing NOW. Dahlen and Goldy were two guys that were that much closer in Benning's mind to being players that could assist in helping his team make the playoffs.

It's just another irrefutable fact to support the notion that there has never really been a rebuild. Every step taken has been with a view to making the playoffs in as short a time frame as possible - in most all cases, the next upcoming season.

Reactions: daddyohsix

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I think I'm at the point now where I really would prefer it if we don't trade for, or draft Russians. There is just too much incentive to pack up and leave for home if things don't pan out right away. The KHL's salaries are the highest in the world after the NHL, and in some cases they can even be making more than they would here. What's the incentive to give your all for the Canucks?

I think I read a study saying that the salaries in the KHL still pale in comparison to NHL salaries. The list I saw was from a few years ago that showed the top 20 salaries in the KHL. The 20th highest was not even $1.2M USD. I'd assume that playing in the KHL comes with its own perks and maybe preferential tax treatment, but if you could earn $3M in the NHL or $1.5M in the KHL, it's not exactly apples to apples.

While the Russian factor is real, the stars all eventually come (except for Koltsov...)

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
why is it bad news?

It's bad news on a number of fronts.

First, we need players who can play in our top 6 that don't cost $5M or $6M+. People have short memories, but hopefully in 5 years the Canucks are taking a deep run into the playoffs when players like EP, QH, BB66 are in their prime, and Horvat and hopefully Demko are still difference makers. But deep runs means injuries, and we need players on cheaper contracts who can step in and be difference makers. How many goals did we score in the 2011 SCF?

Second, we don't need yet more high profile demonstrations of coaching bias and its results, where players like LE and Granlund are favoured over a player like Goldobin. Mismanagement of players is not going to bring out the best in them, it never did and it particularly won't do it in the modern NHL.

Third, it is probably the nail in the coffin for getting any Russians interested in playing here. The inability of the Canucks to work with Larianov and Goldobin does not bode well for working with any Russian.

When Ryan Miller is the one having done the most to fix a problem, that's bad news.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
The guy was what? top 4 scorer on our team for awhile until he was randomly benched, or played less out of complete nowhere.
He is never going to be some superstar, but he had a role on this team.

The way he he floats and loses every physical battle he better be the top scorer not the 4th best scorer to get away with it.

The AHL and ECHL and Euroleagues are full of Goldobins. They dont have what it takes to be in the NHL.

Hes has close to 3 yrs now to improve his game and it hasn't. Hes perfect for the KHL

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Totally agreed. We need to STAY away from Podzoklin for this VERY reason

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not particularly surprising. Could Goldobin have amounted to something? Maybe, but he's one of the hundreds of offensive players that can't seem to score enough to be relevant at the NHL level. The rest of his game is below replacement level, so he was never going to make it as a checker. Another example of poor pro scouting from this management team.

With all that said it's absolutely stupid he wasn't given more of a chance here. He's the exact type of cheap depth that you can use during a rebuild. Plus he might have surprised everyone and actually become a top-six player.

He always seemed to me like Baertschi without the motor.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I said coming out of last year that within 12-18 months he'd be out of the NHL. This is not shocking news.

While I think given the position the canucks were in thye should have just played him and played him a lot to see.

That said, they gave him quite a bit of ice this year (63 GP 15 minutes a night with 2:33 a night on the PP) and he didn't do anything with it outside of a couple week run. He's just good enough to be in the NHL.

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

For whatever reason Green kept on playing Leivo with Pettersson and Boeser, even though Pettersson's offence dried up. I know Goldobin has defensive issues, but he was one of the few players that had the skill and playmaking ability to play with Pettersson.

Reactions: daddyohsix

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Sorta strange for a team that can't score to just peace out on their sixth highest-scoring forward but I guess given contracts* it makes sense. There's a lot of riffraff to sift through.

*It's gonna be harder to gas Sutter, Schaller, Spooner, Baertschi, etc

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Goldobin Is 100% not good enough to be in the NHL. He is absolutely clueless when he doesnt have the puck and his compete level and.motor is ECHL level.

Goldy has shown plenty enough compete level in several games in the last season. He just needs to learn consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad