Rumor: Nikolay Goldobin - Might be Going to the KHL -Next Season

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Listening to Ferraro on 1040 this afternoon, and I agreed with him that its ludicrous that over 5 years the team doesn't have anyone in the farm system that can step up to replace Goldobin. Just an absolute debacle of incompetence.
So true. With Baertschi's future officially listed as "iffy", Goldobin is virtually the only offensive winger in the entire organization. There's zilch in the pipeline to replace him if indeed he bolts to the KHL.

So once again, the Canucks will have to venture into the UFA market and basically overpay for somebody. How long can this current 'reign of error" in the executive booth last?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Young Russians can't deal with the high expectations of a Canadian market, more news at 11

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Wasn't Larionov his agent? This isn't the first time he's been fired by a player he represents.

I didn't know that... disappointing to hear. I mean even his post NHL career choice. He was such a brilliant mind and ambassador for the sport. A couple of decades ago my hot take (long before that was a thing) was that Larionov would be the first Russian coach in the NHL. Complete speculation on my part... I just thought he would be a natural coach with his skills and toolset.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol...some posters (myself included) were lauding Jimbo for acquiring prospects Goldobin and Dahlen for two veterans--Burrows and Hansen--who aren't even playing hockey any more. Now it appears both guys will soon be out of the Canucks organization.

Nuthin' from nuthin' equals nuthin' I guess.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Lol...some posters (myself included) were lauding Jimbo for acquiring prospects Goldobin and Dahlen for two veterans--Burrows and Hansen--who aren't even playing hockey any more. Now it appears both guys will soon be out of the Canucks organization.

Me too! But I underestimated the awful pro-scouting department of the Canucks.

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018

Dumping aging vets for picks and prospects during a rebuild should always be lauded, even if those pick and prospects don't turn out. At least it's another lottery ticket. The more you have, the better your chances of winning. Now, better scouting would also improve their chances, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater...

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Listening to Ferraro on 1040 this afternoon, and I agreed with him that its ludicrous that over 5 years the team doesn't have anyone in the farm system that can step up to replace Goldobin. Just an absolute debacle of incompetence.
critical mass, best prospect pool ever, bla bla bla vomit.

Reactions: Peter10

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Didn't hear that interview but that's easy to say. Look back 10-15 years and when did the team had someone in the farm that can replace someone like Goldobin? Baertschi? Hodgson? Raymond? Grabner? Can't be Shinkaruk. The Canucks haven't really had skilled forwards waiting in the AHL for a long long while and it's rare to begin with. Of course if you view Goldy as a press box regular who mange to put up 7 goals and a bunch of secondary assists then actually I think he's easily replaceable.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Didn't hear that interview but that's easy to say. Look back 10-15 years and when did the team had someone in the farm that can replace someone like Goldobin? Baertschi? Hodgson? Raymond? Grabner? Can't be Shinkaruk. The Canucks haven't really had skilled forwards waiting in the AHL for a long long while and it's rare to begin with. Of course if you view Goldy as a press box regular who mange to put up 7 goals and a bunch of secondary assists then actually I think he's easily replaceable.

Looking back 10-15 years when has the team been this consistently bad? They haven't been, that's the difference. Finishing in the bottom of the league is when we should be restocking the cupboards. This doesn't just have to be about Goldobin but a statement about our prospect pool as a whole.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Looking back 10-15 years when has the team been this consistently bad? They haven't been, that's the difference. Finishing in the bottom of the league is when we should be restocking the cupboards. This doesn't just have to be about Goldobin but a statement about our prospect pool as a whole.

Agree, our AHL team looks more like one of a perennial cup contender who is dealing picks away for rentals and not like the farm team of a club who hasnt made the playoffs in 4 years and was one of the worst in the league over that time. Who was graduating from the farm? It is pretty much only Demko who spent significant time down in Utica and even he hasnt proven himself as an NHL player yet.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Being bad doesn't actually improve the chances of success of any picks but those from the first round, and to a very limited extent the second round. A pick at the top of any other round stands a nearly identical chance of success as a pick from anywhere else in that round. The first round picks are all in the NHL apart from Juolevi.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Agree, our AHL team looks more like one of a perennial cup contender who is dealing picks away for rentals and not like the farm team of a club who hasnt made the playoffs in 4 years and was one of the worst in the league over that time. Who was graduating from the farm? It is pretty much only Demko who spent significant time down in Utica and even he hasnt proven himself as an NHL player yet.

I think you can include Markstrom and Virtanen, to some extent

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Being bad doesn't actually improve the chances of success of any picks but those from the first round, and to a very limited extent the second round. A pick at the top of any other round stands a nearly identical chance of success as a pick from anywhere else in that round. The first round picks are all in the NHL apart from Juolevi.

Being bad should also cause you to trade your older guys for picks and giving you additional draft picks so you actually increase the chances of success. Having high second round picks should also increase your success rate over picking in the 50-60 range. You could also sign veterans to one-year deals and trade them at the deadline or you could take on bad contracts and receive additional picks or prospects.

As I said before, our farm system looks like this of a top team. The high end first have gone straight to the Canucks without touching the AHL (except Juolevi who trends in the wrong way), a lot of picks have been dealt for quick fixes or reclamation prospects or placeholders, no additional picks of significance have been acquired. It is not looking much different as if we had constantly dealt 1st and 2nd round picks away for deadline rentals.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Being bad should also cause you to trade your older guys for picks and giving you additional draft picks so you actually increase the chances of success. Having high second round picks should also increase your success rate over picking in the 50-60 range. You could also sign veterans to one-year deals and trade them at the deadline or you could take on bad contracts and receive additional picks or prospects.

As I said before, our farm system looks like this of a top team. The high end first have gone straight to the Canucks without touching the AHL (except Juolevi who trends in the wrong way), a lot of picks have been dealt for quick fixes or reclamation prospects or placeholders, no additional picks of significance have been acquired. It is not looking much different as if we had constantly dealt 1st and 2nd round picks away for deadline rentals.
I agree with the first paragraph. As for the second, no one here or anywhere else has shown a correlation between poor performance/high drafting and strong farm team.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I agree with the first paragraph. As for the second, no one here or anywhere else has shown a correlation between poor performance/high drafting and strong farm team.

Dont you think having your picks at the early stages of each round instead of the latter should give you a better chance drafting good players? That in turn would result in a better AHL team in the long run. There are many other factors playing a part in this but logic would indicate having better picks increases your chances of having a better farm team.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

Goldobin wouldn't have even cracked the roster in 2011, comparing apples to giraffes here.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Too wordy

But Gillis!

You're welcome

Reactions: Peter10

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The problem is Goldobin can’t play in the bottom 6 while waiting for an injury to hit. He is absolutely worthless when the puck isn’t on his stick. I won’t get into Tryamkin because I know what happened and my story isn’t popular here. It sounds like Goldobin is staying so hopefully he takes his training serious this summer. It would be his last shot

What is this unpopular story of yours?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

On the other hand, it's when you have a good team that you have talented prospects spending the majority of their time in the minors.

The times have changed. Forwards that are likely to develop into quality NHL players tend to get to the NHL quicker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad