Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Ehlers has been the most consistently good player for the Jets this season. He needs to be on the first powerplay, and used in tight situations where you need speed, possession, zone entry, and a finishing touch.

I totally agree with this post - Ehler's should "always" be used on power play one. There is a need for a guy on the power play, that can skate fast, and also stick handle well, and evade defenders. Eh;er's is a "possession guy" and that's what you need on the power play. He also has a great hard accurate shot --he can do it all.

Ehler's is really starting to come of age this year, and I alsio notice he's shooting a lot more, and it's showing up on the score sheet and team leaders for points. He also plays very well with the speedy Roslovic, and Little, so I would leave that line alone right now.

Laine on the power play -- is basically just a hard --sometimes accurate shot -- but Ehlers brings the whole package needed. Laine right now is still a limited player, but he's improving every year. Laine cannot stick handle well, nor can he gain the offensive zone like Ehlers -- it's not even close.

Eher's is one of the Jet's best players in my mind, and should never be traded. I'd trade Laine before I'd trade Ehlers. He's going to have a big year this year, and be recognized for his talent here on these boards.

I hope they keep playing Ehlers with Roslovic --those 2 compliment each other, and both are emerging as potential key players for the Jets. I've really noticed Roslovic has stepped up his game this year, and it be great to see him emerge as a star player for the Jets.:thumbu:

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I think in all fairness (I have been Laine-bashing a couple of times also) that Laine as 18 and 19 were a beast. Last year he had a really bad year. Yes he is bad defensively but in his first seasons he made up for that with his offense 5v5 and power play. In fact he was according to EW the 11th most valuable player in NHL in the seasons 16/17 and 18/19 combined!
His shot percentages were thru the roof and regression to the mean were expected. However look at underlying expected stats from EW. If he can get back to that, nobody is complaining

It is also worth noticing how steady Ehlers seem to be in the top of WPG. He has been up there year after year and he is only 23 and still improving

upload_2019-10-31_10-20-43.png

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Last year was terrible. He did not help the team.
No reason to think that Laine will not be able to get back to previous form - and build on that to be a much better player.

That makes him un-tradeable in my opinion.
upload_2019-10-31_10-30-28.png

I am not trying to derail this Ehlers thread btw. with Laine stuff. I just wanted to comment GNPs post above. If you want to comment on this please post in the Laine thread (maybe I should have done the same :) )

Last edited:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The Dutch never complain. They just hold it all in and then blow up one day by punching Chara in the face.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Does anyone ever correct posters who refer to Ehlers as Dutch? He's Danish. Or is this all an in-joke that I missed the memo on?

Anyway, Ehlers might be the most complete winger on the Jets. Maybe the only one capable of driving play. He's a competitor and seems smart and dedicated - watching all that video of himself this summer seems to have helped him get off to a great start.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Does anyone ever correct posters who refer to Ehlers as Dutch? He's Danish. Or is this all an in-joke that I missed the memo on?

Anyway, Ehlers might be the most complete winger on the Jets. Maybe the only one capable of driving play. He's a competitor and seems smart and dedicated - watching all that video of himself this summer seems to have helped him get off to a great start.
No monkey on the back yet! Ehlers best season so far

Reactions: probablywrongbut

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Back when @sipowicz was really hard-assed on Ehlers he was calling him the Little Dutch Boy. But now that he is Ehlers #1 fan and shaking his big Niki pom-poms not sure it applies any longer

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

He just looks like a Dutchman --that's all, sort of a joke. You know has the long thin protruding chin. That nick name suits him.:)

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It’s obviously a joke.

A joke that even Hollywood and Americans have used to make fun of the Dutch/Danish since the 90s.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
A surprising number of Americans can't find America on a map of the world, so I'm not sure whether the mixup is a joke or just regular ignorance about Europe. :laugh:
Probably a bit of both tbh :laugh:

They joke about the general American not really being that geographically or world savvy - Which is true.

I am pretty sure, some Americans just think Europe is a country, and its' nations are provinces/states.

When they try to emulate any Euro accent, they are always German/Swedish sounding, as if they are all like that:popcorn:

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

You missed the memo......you’re fired.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

I think you are mistaken. He very clearly is Dutch.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
When he gets older, can we start calling him Old Dutch?

OldDutchQualityLivesHereLogo.png

Honestly, I can't understand how they're still in business. Absolutely the worst potato chips on the market. They always taste burnt and bitter and rancid and just all kinds of horrible. No amount of dip of any sort can mask that taste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad