Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
As I was beginning to type something, I realized that I like Ehlers on both lines over Wheeler so far this year. He would be a big upgrade to the 1st line over Wheeler and makes the second line very good paired with Connor.

Yeah he's simply playing better than Wheeler, for a long time. I still think LSE would work great, it looked great last time and all are years better.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
As I was beginning to type something, I realized that I like Ehlers on both lines over Wheeler so far this year. He would be a big upgrade to the 1st line over Wheeler and makes the second line very good paired with Connor.
Trade Wheeler for some pics/ prospects and double-shift Ehlers. Yah, that's the ticket!

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Trade Wheeler for some pics/ prospects and double-shift Ehlers. Yah, that's the ticket!

I hope that was a funny post? Can't tell sometimes without the emojis :)

In case it's not, let me clarify.... Wheeler is still a top winger in the league, I'm not crapping on him, I just think that Ehlers is more effective right at this point of this season. The problem is that Ehlers makes both lines better, so it's a pretty good problem to have!

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I think Ehlers has been the most consistently good player for the Jets this season. He needs to be on the first powerplay, and used in tight situations where you need speed, possession, zone entry, and a finishing touch.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
It's simply pathetic that he plays 14 min... Fireable offensence.

Well, I have actually been very surprised and pleased with the TOI he has got so far this season. Yesterday was an outlier due to lots of power plays where pp1 godt a huge chunk of the ice time.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Probably my favorite player to watch because of his dynamic skating. Sometimes holds onto the puck a bit too long and I wish he'd shoot more, but then again I say that about almost everybody.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Probably my favorite player to watch because of his dynamic skating. Sometimes holds onto the puck a bit too long and I wish he'd shoot more, but then again I say that about almost everybody.

He has increased his shots per game this year, I think - but definitely something he should and probably is working on. I agree that he is holding on the puck a bit too long once in a while. Another thing I would like to see him evolve in his game is coming closer to the net instead of being a "perimeter guy".

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think Ehlers has been the most consistently good player for the Jets this season. He needs to be on the first powerplay, and used in tight situations where you need speed, possession, zone entry, and a finishing touch.

If Maurice swapped his usage of Ehlers and Connor, Ehlers would have an amazing season.
Alternatively, I still yearn for the return of Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers, as do most others here it seems.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
He has increased his shots per game this year, I think - but definitely something he should and probably is working on. I agree that he is holding on the puck a bit too long once in a while. Another thing I would like to see him evolve in his game is coming closer to the net instead of being a "perimeter guy".

Well, I wonder if that's just simply a product of his good skating and our observation bias. That is, because of his skating and his ability to escape into open areas, he can hold onto the puck for a long time, when a lot of other players might have already lost it. However, those skating lanes might take him into the perimeter or shooting positions that aren't that good.

Might not be a problem, just an issue with our perception. As long as his overall shot totals are rising up, all is good.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

The positive about having Ehlers on PP2 is that this situation often involves the PP coming to an end.

With time running short, having a player on the ice that can virtually guarantee a zone entry will have Ehlers placed in this situation time and time again.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The positive about having Ehlers on PP2 is that this situation often involves the PP coming to an end.

With time running short, having a player on the ice that can virtually guarantee a zone entry will have Ehlers placed in this situation time and time again.

The best situation would be to make PP1 so effective, that we would not have to use PP2 at all :)

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007

That's a decent point. His zone-entry ability doesn't have as much of an impact in PP1, which starts in the offensive zone already.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Disagree, gaining the zone at the end of a PP isn't any more important than gaining it early on. If the PP was able to gain the zone from the start, he wouldn't be needed to it do it as a last gasp. Gaining the zone with the best players on the ice, which should be the ones involved in PP1, should be the main goal.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
#EhlersOnPP1

zone entries on the PP have been abysmal this year from the top unit. can't gain zone effectively most nights

PlayerTOIGoalsAssistsPointsPts/60
Josh Morrissey33.960447.066
Patrik Laine44.410334.053
Mark Scheifele45.462133.959
Nikolaj Ehlers22.682025.290
Neal Pionk31.260223.838
Kyle Connor44.412022.702
Ville Heinola7.160118.372
Jack Roslovic21.90112.740
Blake Wheeler45.080000
Mathieu Perreault21.380000
Andrew Copp11.030000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Not to point that I'm just here for Laine. I've got to give credit for Ehlers, because it's due. Sure there's some problems with the team form now, but I do have to say. While we all know Ehlers has great speed and maybe because of that, great for drawing penalties.

I'm not sure if it's that I haven't had too much time to watch him. If he's been like this, I am sorry if I just waste words, but he is a bit like reborn there. I mean, the skates, they are there still, but now he's scoring also. It's great. Hope there would be a whole team to support this kinda step ups.

Had to dig too deep for Ehlers thread, but I don't mind. He's been very good and someone who doesn't have hawkeye on there (that would be me), I really hope this continues and more will join.

Still, he's at least in my mind took a bigger role. And I like it.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Not to point that I'm just here for Laine. I've got to give credit for Ehlers, because it's due. Sure there's some problems with the team form now, but I do have to say. While we all know Ehlers has great speed and maybe because of that, great for drawing penalties.

I'm not sure if it's that I haven't had too much time to watch him. If he's been like this, I am sorry if I just waste words, but he is a bit like reborn there. I mean, the skates, they are there still, but now he's scoring also. It's great. Hope there would be a whole team to support this kinda step ups.

Had to dig too deep for Ehlers thread, but I don't mind. He's been very good and someone who doesn't have hawkeye on there (that would be me), I really hope this continues and more will join.

Still, he's at least in my mind took a bigger role. And I like it.

Yes, Ehlers has been one of the few bright spots on the team so far this year!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I hope that was a funny post? Can't tell sometimes without the emojis :)

In case it's not, let me clarify.... Wheeler is still a top winger in the league, I'm not crapping on him, I just think that Ehlers is more effective right at this point of this season. The problem is that Ehlers makes both lines better, so it's a pretty good problem to have!
Sorry about that. Yes, it was more a blowing smoke retort. No, getting rid of Wheels is not likely to improve anything in Jet-land and most suredly would tank things even worse. Ehlers playing good enough to be on all 4 lines is a good problem. Glad to see Ehlers finding some early success this year. He is deserving of it by his play and effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad