Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe he wasn't a highly effective defensive coach in 2017/18. Maybe the numbers say more about the players that year than the coach. Maybe it was his occasional, but still fruitless, outlier.
Maybe the 2018/19 numbers say more about the players last year than the coach...

If you look at the overall picture of the Jets' defensive play under Maurice, it's generally positive.

upload_2019-9-1_0-46-32.png

upload_2019-9-1_0-47-24.png

upload_2019-9-1_0-48-20.png

upload_2019-9-1_0-49-16.png

upload_2019-9-1_0-50-11.png

The Jets have been "average" or better than average in defensive play (based on shot metrics) in 4 of Maurice's 5 seasons as Jets' coach.

Since 2014/15, the Jets have ranked #8 in the NHL in Corsi against per 60 (CA/60 adjusted 5v5) and #9 in the NHL in expected goals against per 60 (xGA/60).

Excluding last season (i.e. 2014/15 through 2017/18), the Jets ranked #6 in CA/60.

Jets' top D in terms of 5v5 ice-time from 2014/15 through 2017/18...

Byfuglien
Trouba
Myers
Enstrom
Chiarot
Morrissey
Stuart

Obviously, personnel has changed over the years, but it's interesting to note that looking at the xGA/60 for the two long-standing D since 2011 (Buff and Enstrom), both had significantly improved xGA/60 after Maurice arrived in 2014/15.

upload_2019-9-1_1-33-41.png

Reactions: scelaton and ps241

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Maybe the 2018/19 numbers say more about the players last year than the coach...

If you look at the overall picture of the Jets' defensive play under Maurice, it's generally positive.

View attachment 252449

View attachment 252451

View attachment 252453

View attachment 252455

View attachment 252457

The Jets have been "average" or better than average in defensive play (based on shot metrics) in 4 of Maurice's 5 seasons as Jets' coach.

Since 2014/15, the Jets have ranked #8 in the NHL in Corsi against per 60 (CA/60 adjusted 5v5) and #9 in the NHL in expected goals against per 60 (xGA/60).

Excluding last season (i.e. 2014/15 through 2017/18), the Jets ranked #6 in CA/60.

Jets' top D in terms of 5v5 ice-time from 2014/15 through 2017/18...

Byfuglien
Trouba
Myers
Enstrom
Chiarot
Morrissey
Stuart

Obviously, personnel has changed over the years, but it's interesting to note that looking at the xGA/60 for the two long-standing D since 2011 (Buff and Enstrom), both had significantly improved xGA/60 after Maurice arrived in 2014/15.

View attachment 252461

Must be Maurice's negatives overcompensating for his positives, leaving him a net minus.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I enjoyed the TSN article that I read today - Nic sounds like he's trying to dial it in and he's taking a hard look at his game.
I also found it interesting that the things he's looking at, the areas he admits need work, are the same things the coach has been whispering in his ear last season. A Hallelujah moment so to speak.
Maturing as a hockey player comes down to improving your game to reach your full potential - and - listening to what others are telling you and realizing they might actually help you get there.
Looking forward to seeing him play this year - I get a sense that he's ready to take that next step.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
As long as Chevy doesn't suddenly trade him, we're good
Plus if KC doesnt sign in time for the season, Ehlers should get some time at #1LW (although I hope KC signs)

Reactions: QuietContrarian

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Great articles -- thanks for posting, guys. In TA article, his description of his contract negotiations -- he wanted to stay, they wanted him to stay, it's over in 3 days -- was an interesting illustration of how different the process can be for individual players. And the below strikes me as a usefully honest take on his process:

“I don’t think it’s hard to look through my games. I know that I play (crappy) games and I play good games,” he said. “You go through them and you sit there and sometimes you’re just shaking your head (and thinking) ‘what are you doing?’

Nik is an impressive interview as well as player. I appreciated his point later on in the interview about paying attention to tracking and improving the fine details in his game, whether or not he's scoring, which seems to be borne out analytically in the value of his contributions all over the ice. He's a special player, and I'm expecting a big year from him.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Just bringing this year’s Ehlers back up to the front page where he belongs. Looked once again like he was playing on a different ice surface last night, in all three zones, after a slowish start for a tired line.

Great start to the season for him on the Biiiiiig First Line.

Last edited:

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
That contract will be such a bargain when he puts up 100+ points this year.

I think that 70 point is his ceiling with current usage - and that would be a rare thing to do. I don't think you find any ppg players that isn't on pp1
If Ehlers will get his chance on the pp1 (not likely without key injuries) we should also expect a habituation fase before he settles in and produces. With Maurices blender in mind I do not believe he will get any free passes before he goes back to pp2.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I think that 70 point is his ceiling with current usage - and that would be a rare thing to do. I don't think you find any ppg players that isn't on pp1
If Ehlers will get his chance on the pp1 (not likely without key injuries) we should also expect a habituation fase before he settles in and produces. With Maurices blender in mind I do not believe he will get any free passes before he goes back to pp2.

True, he should really get a spot on PP1, but I think they’re splitting the PP ice time fairly evenly between both units this year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He's listening to his coach -
Referring back to a preseason article on TSN that was also picked up by the Free Press - he stated that the things he is working on (or has changed) are the same things his coach has been preaching for the last couple of years including shooting more, working both sides of the puck, stick position -
Good on him - he looks great.
Anyone willing to throw the coach a bone (or pce of a bone) as a contributor to Nic's progress? I'll go first.

Reactions: Tommigun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad