Player Discussion: Nikolaj "Probert" Ehlers Pt. 2

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I would guess he is well aware since it's been happening multiple seasons now while most would say his game has improved. It also why I wouldn't be the least surprised if he has asked to be traded. Not many NHL players that have put up as many points with as little ATOI.

View attachment 244449 View attachment 244451
Yeah, thats that I was thinking... He might just ask to get out if this keeps happening. Dunno, the icetime distribution is shit and teams with more talent dont have problems like this.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
I understand why Ehlers would like to perform better next year, but his 18/19 wasn’t that bad, atleast when you look at his goalscoring.
If you look at players 5v5 with atleast 800 minutes played last season, Ehlers was 27th in the league in goals per 60 - and the best Jet by far with KC and Scheifele as number 67 and 68. Thats pretty good if you ask me, considering that he notorically is the first man in PoMo’s blender.

People also tend to forget that Ehlers get no pp1 icetime which most likely would have increased his numbers significantly as well. Like it did with KCs

Ehlers were also defensively very responsible which is a rare thing in Jets top 6

All in all, yes - Ehlers could and should have had a better 18/19 season, but it wasnt as bad as some peolpe might think

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I understand why Ehlers would like to perform better next year, but his 18/19 wasn’t that bad, atleast when you look at his goalscoring.
If you look at players 5v5 with atleast 800 minutes played last season, Ehlers was 27th in the league in goals per 60 - and the best Jet by far with KC and Scheifele as number 67 and 68. Thats pretty good if you ask me, considering that he notorically is the first man in PoMo’s blender.

People also tend to forget that Ehlers get no pp1 icetime which most likely would have increased his numbers significantly as well. Like it did with KCs

Ehlers were also defensively very responsible which is a rare thing in Jets top 6

All in all, yes - Ehlers could and should have had a better 18/19 season, but it wasnt as bad as some peolpe might think

Yeah, it looks bad because of 1. His injury shortened season, 2. Not being on PP1 and 3. Being bounced around the lineup, including some games early in the year when he was on the fourth line which wasn't used.

Last edited:

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
The same things that make Ehlers such a good player for the Jets is exactly also what makes him the trade bait. Invidually, he's great. Good contract, young, makes players on his line better, good for 60 points. That's exactly what teams want when they're trading one of their better defencemen. Nobody else on the Jets have that kind of value right now that you could realisticly trade, Scheifele and Wheeler are untouchable. Connor and Laine aren't signed. I like Ehlers, most Jets fans like Ehlers but unless certain players (Heinola, Pionk, Bealiaeu) step up, that blueline WILL need fixing especially with a coach like Maurice.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The same things that make Ehlers such a good player for the Jets is exactly also what makes him the trade bait. Invidually, he's great. Good contract, young, makes players on his line better, good for 60 points. That's exactly what teams want when they're trading one of their better defencemen. Nobody else on the Jets have that kind of value right now that you could realisticly trade, Scheifele and Wheeler are untouchable. Connor and Laine aren't signed. I like Ehlers, most Jets fans like Ehlers but unless certain players (Heinola, Pionk, Bealiaeu) step up, that blueline WILL need fixing especially with a coach like Maurice.

Maurice did not even play a defensive system when we had a solid core giving up 40 plus shots a night.

Losing one of our best forwards is not the answer to fix our defense.
Just fire Maurice and bring in a coach that plays defense.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maurice did not even play a defensive system when we had a solid core giving up 40 plus shots a night.

Really???

upload_2019-8-31_10-53-2.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hellebuyck got lit up last season for like the most shots in the league.

We can not fix that by trading Ehlers and adding one defenseman.
So Maurice was good at coaching defense in 2017/18 and bad at coaching in 2018/19?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think you have a simplistic view of team and coaching dynamics.

The dynamics say that if Maurice can't get this team firing on all cylinders and rowing in the same direction, he's the one who will take the fall at some point. So, maybe there are no truly bad coaches, just bad situations. Would you prefer it if I said he is the wrong coach for this team?

Reactions: Ippenator

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If you are allowing some players to shirk their defensive responsibilities, then yes, I think that makes someone a bad coach.

The original point still stands -
The team was coached to include more of a D game in the prior year - why did it not happen last season?
I heard the same message over and over again from this coach - you need to work, move your feet, get on pucks, etc.
They didn't execute on the coaches message and part of that is on the coach for not getting the team to execute -
But, how much of that falls on the players, especially the leaders, who thought better and did it their way - cheating on O and playing outside the game the coach preached.

It's easy to blame it on the coach - you see enough of that on here to get that message loud and clear.

Did the players learn anything based on the results? Is our team leadership now realizing that the winning formula was the one from the prior year and the losing only took place after moving away from what worked? Do you really think the coach preached a more O game and less D to this group?
Or could it be that the players now get it - and know what they need to do to be successful. Hopefully they used the summer to reflect on this past season.

IMO, you take a young team (out side of Wheels) that is still learning what it takes - and they learn the hard way. They see the results and the methods over the last two years and begin to understand the difference - primarily, which was more successful. So you take what you learned and apply it - meaning you buy into what the coach has always preached and move on. Is it a stretch to believe this scenario?

I'm not trying to absolve this coach from all responsibility and if they come out of the gate (again) with a total disregard for the coach and his game, then you need to make changes and that likely means the coach is gone - and that may happen. But I also know that this org is going to continue to push their agenda with an acceptance and understanding that young teams learn and they that sometimes means they learn from their mistakes.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland

Maybe. Like I said if the unproven guys could pull above their weight, you don't necessarily have to trade for a D-man. Nothing in Maurice's history suggests he can work those kinds of tricks tho so if you thought the defence looked ugly last year, imagine what it looks like with an aging Buff and no Trouba. Nevermind this year but going forth too. Ehlers seems to be the only guy who has the value to bring a solid defenceman back right now that they're willing or able to trade. I don't think they'll do it but you never know.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's a 2017-2018 graph but wasn't he talking about 2018-2019?
Sure, but my point was that if he was a highly effective defensive coach in 2017/18 he didn't just become a terrible defensive coach a year later.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Sure, but my point was that if he was a highly effective defensive coach in 2017/18 he didn't just become a terrible defensive coach a year later.

Maybe he wasn't a highly effective defensive coach in 2017/18. Maybe the numbers say more about the players that year than the coach. Maybe it was his occasional, but still fruitless, outlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad