Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Let's see how k.ves does in NHL before we start counting chickens before they hatch. God willing Roslo can be traded for something good if it benefits the team.

Let’s remember that despite many people suggesting that Roslovic didn’t have a very good year, he had more points per 60 than the following players:

Copp
Perreault
Little
Lowry

And he’s a lot younger and less experienced than all of those guys.

Reactions: DashingDane and GNP

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Sure, Ehlers can gain the zone but more often than not he loses the puck because he STILL hasn't learned to use his linemates.
He scored 37 points and on average would have got 49 points...t he least he has scored since his rookie season.

So his two previous 60+ point years mean nothing? How many points would Ehlers have if he got all that opposing empty net time(this is more a shit at 55 and 26 getting more then their fair share of free points lol)?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So his two previous 60+ point years mean nothing? How many points would Ehlers have if he got all that opposing empty net time(this is more a **** at 55 and 26 getting more then their fair share of free points lol)?
Sorry just don't get the idea of free points playing guys with an empty net. The point is to preserve wins and not pad stats so you play the guys with the best track records of scoring or at least not getting scored against.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Sorry just don't get the idea of free points playing guys with an empty net. The point is to preserve wins and not pad stats so you play the guys with the best track records of scoring or at least not getting scored against.

Can you be a little more clear KB? I don’t completely follow.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Can you be a little more clear KB? I don’t completely follow.
Historically Scheifele and Wheeler have done a very good job at preserving wins by scoring goals with an empty net. I don't see them as free points but rather a byproduct of being able to finish out games.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Historically Scheifele and Wheeler have done a very good job at preserving wins by scoring goals with an empty net. I don't see them as free points but rather a byproduct of being able to finish out games.

I feel it’s a bit of both. I don’t mind it to a certain extent, but I think Maurice went too far this year. We rarely saw a defensive line out there in those situations. It was always grinding out the top line.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Sure, Ehlers can gain the zone but more often than not he loses the puck because he STILL hasn't learned to use his linemates.
He scored 37 points and on average would have got 49 points...t he least he has scored since his rookie season.

5 on 5 points per 60 over the last 2 seasons

17-1818-19
Ehlers2.151.88
Scheifele2.221.99
Wheeler2.081.99
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Don't let the counting stats fool you. Ehlers has produced as well as Scheifele and Wheeler even in this "down" season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
KC over Ehlers every day.

Playoffs...
KC 19 games and 11 points...
Ehlers 17 games and 7 points...
The only place I see Ehlers being better is his D game but he has had more time to work on it.

Reactions: KB1971 and sipowicz

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
:cheers: here's to hoping he gets traded or Paul gets fired. As of now he is just wasting cap space that the team will need. I don't see Paul going anywhere so trading him might be a win/win.

Your posts have a heavy bias in them, when commenting on Ehlers, as your more a fan of him, than that of the Jets. I don't blame you, as you'd like to see a Danish player do well, and become a star in the NHL, just as Ehlers should be.

I would say this -"highly unlikely" the Jet's trade Ehlers --his contract is to good, and his upside is to high. It makes "zero sense " to trade him-- so you may as well forget it. They would look at trading Connor, if the return was right, because he's inconsistent, and scared of the rough play in the playoffs-where Ehlers is not. Connor could bring the Jet's a top player, who has a more complete game. We would lose goal scoring tho, so I think both stay with the Jets.

As for a coaching change --well --TNSE -is a patient bunch and don't make emotional panic decisions, so this is likely what will happen.

1) If the Jet's get swept, 4 games straight, the noose around Maurice's neck will start to get very tight, and a slow start to next season, may be enough to have the Jet's fire him. This is a good possibility. They may keep him on as a consultant ?

2) Jet's management with Chevy and crew will do some soul searching and demand that Maurice gives more ice time to guys like Ehlers, Roslovic and some others. I can see this happening. If the fans can see this, I can't see why Maurice can't ?? I think this is the more likely situation in the "short term." TNSE being a small franchise must listen to their fanbase, and it's obvious fans want change in these areas.

3) Ehlers is a guy like Barzal -- who the Islanders use a lot, and it's paying off. Both have exceptional speed, and stick handling abilities. In my opinion, Ehlers should be used on the 1st line, or teamed up with Connor on the 2nd line, and given the same kind of ice time, as Wheeler and Scheifele. The disparity is to great right now, and the Jets are not getting optimal useage out of their young star players.

I think Jet's management and ownnership will start to force Maurice's hand.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I think Ehlers had better playoffs 17-18 than just going with "wow, zero goals!" tells you. Their line dominated in the Wild series (67 %CF, 85 %HDCF, 67 %GF), was very good against the predators, though in that series they were separated for about half the time - but even then Ehlers kept tilting the ice in his team's favor. Against Vegas they completely fell off the map, which is probably why people seem to constantly underrate both Ehlers/Laine performance last year. But maybe they fell off the map because of Ehlers' "malaise", whatever that was?

I mean even now I get the feeling half the fanbase thinks "malaise" was just a word used for dropping the guy out of the line up because he was playing poorly, yet same people can watch 3 months of Scheifele sucking while playing 22 minutes a night and their take away from that will be "wow, Scheifele must be playing injured!"

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Your posts have a heavy bias in them, when commenting on Ehlers, as your more a fan of him, than that of the Jets. I don't blame you, as you'd like to see a Danish player do well, and become a star in the NHL, just as Ehlers should be.

I would say this -"highly unlikely" the Jet's trade Ehlers --his contract is to good, and his upside is to high. It makes "zero sense " to trade him-- so you may as well forget it. They would look at trading Connor, if the return was right, because he's inconsistent, and scared of the rough play in the playoffs-where Ehlers is not. Connor could bring the Jet's a top player, who has a more complete game. We would lose goal scoring tho, so I think both stay with the Jets.

As for a coaching change --well --TNSE -is a patient bunch and don't make emotional panic decisions, so this is likely what will happen.

1) If the Jet's get swept, 4 games straight, the noose around Maurice's neck will start to get very tight, and a slow start to next season, may be enough to have the Jet's fire him. This is a good possibility. They may keep him on as a consultant ?

2) Jet's management with Chevy and crew will do some soul searching and demand that Maurice gives more ice time to guys like Ehlers, Roslovic and some others. I can see this happening. If the fans can see this, I can't see why Maurice can't ?? I think this is the more likely situation in the "short term." TNSE being a small franchise must listen to their fanbase, and it's obvious fans want change in these areas.

3) Ehlers is a guy like Barzal -- who the Islanders use a lot, and it's paying off. Both have exceptional speed, and stick handling abilities. In my opinion, Ehlers should be used on the 1st line, or teamed up with Connor on the 2nd line, and given the same kind of ice time, as Wheeler and Scheifele. The disparity is to great right now, and the Jets are not getting optimal useage out of their young star players.

I think Jet's management and ownnership will start to force Maurice's hand.
That's just silly you might prefer Ehlers over Connor I don't think Mo or Chevy do so if one is the first out it's Ehlers. They'll pay the extra mil and find room elsewhere for Connor.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
think Jet's management and ownnership will start to force Maurice's hand.

Yeah, force it to do this. :nod:

images

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
What is the 'Jets system' and how is it not designed to suit a young, fast skilled player?
I’m admittedly not a systems expert, but we don’t do much off the rush where many of our players are very good. Lots of dump and chase and grind it out on the boards type of play.

No reason that Ehlers Connor Scheifele wheeler laine roslovic etc shouldn’t be able to gain the zone with speed and put together plays off the rush.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I’m admittedly not a systems expert, but we don’t do much off the rush where many of our players are very good. Lots of dump and chase and grind it out on the boards type of play.

No reason that Ehlers Connor Scheifele wheeler laine roslovic etc shouldn’t be able to gain the zone with speed and put together plays off the rush.
I think Ehlers, of any of our players, is given carte blanche to rush the pick and enter the zone. I don't see him dumping the puck in much at all.

Reactions: jetsforever and GNP

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think Ehlers has been playing well even without a point so far. Made a bad read on the winning goal in game 1, but that was likely the 2nd or 3rd error on that play. Would definitely like to see him get more ice time though. His speed can help tilt the ice.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think Ehlers has been playing well even without a point so far. Made a bad read on the winning goal in game 1, but that was likely the 2nd or 3rd error on that play. Would definitely like to see him get more ice time though. His speed can help tilt the ice.
Only if the team psychologist can get him over his phobia of shooting the puck in the slot.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Only if the team psychologist can get him over his phobia of shooting the puck in the slot.

Agreed, although I think everyone should be shooting more and going to the net. I have seen Ehlers take a few shots after cutting to the middle. One last night for sure. Needs more though.

Reactions: KB1971

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Agreed, although I think everyone should be shooting more and going to the net. I have seen Ehlers take a few shots after cutting to the middle. One last night for sure. Needs more though.
This is the part of his game that I find so frustrating. So much talent, just wish he go to the slot or use that incredible speed and hands to drive the net more often. The stop up after the blue line along the boards happens way too often.

Reactions: DannyGallivan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad