Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Not to mention he's (IMO) taken a big step forward as a player this year.

It's not an excuse but I don't understand how posters can keep harping on last year's playoff stats and not mention the other young players that also played poorly. Ehlers played two less games, less toi than Connor and only had three points less while being shuffled around the lineup.

View attachment 213827

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Ehlers and our smallish forwards are really invisible again in the post season. Little is the only one that is effective. Conner has an assist, but from the powerplay. Guys like Ehlers, Conner, Lindholm, Roslo just havent shown that they can handle playoff hockey. Ehlers can at least contributed because of his speed and skill being off the charts. He is still gain8ng the zone, but he can't get anywhere near the net.

Reactions: sipowicz

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Ehlers and our smallish forwards are really invisible again in the post season. Little is the only one that is effective. Conner has an assist, but from the powerplay. Guys like Ehlers, Conner, Lindholm, Roslo just havent shown that they can handle playoff hockey. Ehlers can at least contributed because of his speed and skill being off the charts. He is still gain8ng the zone, but he can't get anywhere near the net.
Marner and Barzal seem to be doing fine. Both guys are similar sized . Barzal I think is a bit more built than Ehlers but hes an elite zone entry guy similar to ehlers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Board Bard

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

If you're playing a tight enough game, you can get away with skilled light weights - but we don't.

If your back check, zone exits, puck movement, and gap are not good (or not good enough), your small / skilled guys will stick out like a soar thumb in 5v5 situations.
They're the ones that are now caught flat footed, floating or tied up in traffic where all there skill is now totally useless.

This is especially true for guys like Connor and Ehlers, both of whom were coasting through the neutral zone and dumping the puck, due to a defensively stifling game by the Blues.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Connor's ice should go to Ehlers. I have seen enough of Connor this playoff series.

Potatoes / Potatoes - neither are getting anything done in this series -
Connor is getting more TOI that comes with playing 1st line minutes.
But I'm good with going with Ehlers on the top line and it's probably part of the shake up anyway.

At the end of the day, everyone needs to step up and play their best hockey - no?

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Laine has been our best forward. He’s been physical and is reading the game well. He’s taken the most of his “fresh start”. If only 3 or 4 other teams had done the same we would be in good shape.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

I've seen Ehlers at netfront a couple of times so at least he's trying, but yeah, everyone on the team should know how and when to get to the net, and then actually do it, or try at least. Brad Marchand is only 5'9" and he has no qualms about it. Lots of guys like that. They don't have to be goons, just get off the freaking perimeter and worry someone.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
IMO Ehlers had looked good, but he's not really been meshing with his line and it's hard to get going on 10 minutes TOI. He needs shooters to play with.

Connor has looked lost.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
IMO Ehlers had looked good, but he's not really been meshing with his line and it's hard to get going on 10 minutes TOI. He needs shooters to play with.

Connor has looked lost.
Ehlers didn't do much with Little and Laine.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
They really aren’t. Idk why someone would think two players with different strengths are redundant just because they’re both fast.
They are both smallish, fast players with similar stats. Connor has better hands. Neither are great play makers. Both are pretty ineffective come playoff time. Ehlers cap hit is 6M. Connor with be at least as much. Just not sure we can afford both players.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
They are both smallish, fast players with similar stats. Connor has better hands. Neither are great play makers. Both are pretty ineffective come playoff time. Ehlers cap hit is 6M. Connor with be at least as much. Just not sure we can afford both players.

Connor is like 6’2

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Another sobering thought is that dreaded XD coming up. We can protect eight players. We’re going to lose a good player. Chevy should be thinking of moving the best of the unprotected players for some draft picks. Can both Ehlers and Connor be protected ?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Sure, Ehlers can gain the zone but more often than not he loses the puck because he STILL hasn't learned to use his linemates.
He scored 37 points and on average would have got 49 points...t he least he has scored since his rookie season.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Ehlers and Connor are somewhat redundant players. One will have to go.
These two players are elite, which I classify as just below star players. I would hate to lose either one. I do however question what role roslo will have with this team if he can't play center. I do have concerns about his size and effectiveness in playoff hockey. Appleton and K.Ves will probably be on the team next year taking up two spots.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
These two players are elite, which I classify as just below star players. I would hate to lose either one. I do however question what role roslo will have with this team if he can't play center. I do have concerns about his size and effectiveness in playoff hockey. Appleton and K.Ves will probably be on the team next year taking up two spots.
Let's see how k.ves does in NHL before we start counting chickens before they hatch. God willing Roslo can be traded for something good if it benefits the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad