Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
why on earth should he take connor of that line just to get ehlers going. he is being paid 6 million . he should be able to play anywhere. cant believe some of this entitlement people think young players deserve. blaming Maurice is par for the coarse instead of placing the blame where it really belongs. he should be in the pb not the 1st line. he was horrible for almost half a year now. he played with stastny alot yet scored 1 goal in 40 games and 0 in playoffs.
Well Ehlers was taken off that line to get Connor going...
So, I don’t see why not.

Let’s not exaggerate with the 6months, summer doesn’t really count.

He has not been horrible either, his playoff was ok, and he made alot of passes that should have been made into goals by the receiving player, but I agree the pts totals were not good enough either way.

He was playing low minutes to start the PO, and was scratched for 2 games aswell.(It was not malais, I know this for a fact)

He has regressed in toi ever since his rookie season, despote improving his stats, I think that would throw of most young players.

He was on a tear on the 1st line to start last season, yet was yanked and put on the 2nd and 3rd line, what a way to tell a young player he is doing well.

He is arguably the most shuffled player with Frenchie, also something most young players do not respond well to.

His confidence is in the stinker, and has been for a while now.

Also, since the PO his toi has been very low, hard to work with, especially if you feel mistreated.

All this bs from alot pf posters about Ehlers, is making me really consider telling what I know, thru my work in the Danish hockey federation(non profit); and thru knowing Ehlers old coaches, childhood friends(Who also play hockey),and also having talked several times with his brother...

There is more to all this than you all think.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
why on earth should he take connor of that line just to get ehlers going. he is being paid 6 million . he should be able to play anywhere. cant believe some of this entitlement people think young players deserve. blaming Maurice is par for the coarse instead of placing the blame where it really belongs. he should be in the pb not the 1st line. he was horrible for almost half a year now. he played with stastny alot yet scored 1 goal in 40 games and 0 in playoffs.

Ehlers was taken off that line after scoring 12 in 10.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Well, if its anything that stirs anything up its the last thing Nik needs right now. It will only do tabloids well

What he needs is more of what we are seeing tonight, better minutes and more spark in his game

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well, if its anything that stirs anything up its the last thing Nik needs right now. It will only do tabloids well

What he needs is more of what we are seeing tonight, better minutes and more spark in his game
Pretty much this, hence me being quiet!

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Ehlers is really cursed with the goal-scoring. He made a brilliant sure-goal move behind the goal, but the goalie messed up and was out of position, and made the save because of his own mistake.

Who has the voodoo doll?

And yeah, it was great that ELL showed signs of life, but we are definitely not at the level of "keep these guys together" in my opinion, not even close.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Ehlers is really cursed with the goal-scoring. He made a brilliant sure-goal move behind the goal, but the goalie messed up and was out of position, and made the save because of his own mistake.

Who has the voodoo doll?

And yeah, it was great that ELL showed signs of life, but we are definitely not at the level of "keep these guys together" in my opinion, not even close.

Looks like they will be staying together - even more so based on recent improvement. This is reality.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I love Nick. took him in my pool this year.
But he needs to start driving his line and making the plays. He's got all the tools and I'm tired of people point to Little and call him the bad apple. Ehlers needs to make Little look better, He needs to find ways to make pate look better. He should be by far the one who drives the bus on almost any line in the NHL. the fact he has not as of yet made that happen is indicative of his failings as much as anything.

Again....it's so silly to talk like this about a these guys because they are an amazingly productive line that I love to watch, and who will continue to get better and better.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I'm still very much against keeping ELL together. Laine needs to be playing up top where he can take his game to another level.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
In order for Ehlers to be effective he has to be skating hard out there, and creating havoc with the opposition. He was doing that last night and opening up plays for Little and Laine. I hope he keeps this up, as he's one of our star players.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Ehlers play has to be concerning to coaches and management, 9 games and he's tied in scoring with Ben friggin Chariot! He's at the point now where just about every time he enters the offensive zone (which isn't very often) he loses or turns over the puck. Guy never drives the net like he did in his first two seasons with the Jets, guy is a shell of the player we saw in year one and two!

Guess $6,250,000 per just doesn't get you much anymore! First year of a seven year contract and a $6 M per season cap hit, all of a sudden this contract doesn't look so good for a guy that can't score!

As a player Connor has already passed him and I'm sure there are other guys coming up who can produce at a better rate than Ehlers!

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers needs to get into the dirty areas. This isn't European or junior hockey...no offence.
He has to play with more of a chip on his shoulder and for God's sake, learn how to use his linemates.
His speed reminds me of Ivan Cournoyer but not near the talent it seems.
I wouldn't be against sending him with a high pick for a 1LHD or trading him for a good 2LHD and a 1st or 2nd coming back. Otherwise, he needs a wake up call...especially if Maurice has changed the lines and he doesn't start producing. I would have sat him for a game or two already to be honest...I really haven't liked his game since towards the end of last season.

Reactions: sipowicz

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Both Ehlers and Laine are in giant slump. Put Scheifele between them for couple of games and get them going, this is just annoying to watch. Add to that why Connor still needs two babysitters?

I really haven't liked his game since towards the end of last season.

His confidence is crushed, thanks to Maurice. And he's the one who gets shuffled around with Perreault. We all can say that's he's a pro and he should figure that out, but it's coaches job to help them to get going if they can't do it alone.

Maurice can only handle one youngster at time.

This whole saga is 80% Maurice's fault. He did pull him out of that great line without valid reason. His playing time is decreased and he did still produce in the past last two seasons. Enough is enough and if Maurice can't stand for this guy trade him, before his value is vanished.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Both Ehlers and Laine are in giant slump. Put Scheifele between them for couple of games and get them going, this is just annoying to watch. Add to that why Connor still needs two babysitters?

His confidence is crushed, thanks to Maurice. And he's the one who gets shuffled around with Perreault. We all can say that's he's a pro and he should figure that out, but it's coaches job to help them to get going if they can't do it alone.

This whole saga is 80% Maurice's fault. He did pull him out of that great line without valid reason. His playing time is decreased and he did still produce in the past last two seasons. Enough is enough and if Maurice can't stand for this guy trade him, before his value is vanished.

Wow, his confidence is crushed playing big minutes on the second friggin line, it's up to the player to produce not the coaches!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Ehlers needs to get into the dirty areas. This isn't European or junior hockey...no offence.
He has to play with more of a chip on his shoulder and for God's sake, learn how to use his linemates.
His speed reminds me of Ivan Cournoyer but not near the talent it seems.
I wouldn't be against sending him with a high pick for a 1LHD or trading him for a good 2LHD and a 1st or 2nd coming back. Otherwise, he needs a wake up call...especially if Maurice has changed the lines and he doesn't start producing. I would have sat him for a game or two already to be honest...I really haven't liked his game since towards the end of last season.

Who is going to eat that contract, 7 years $42 million for a guy that can't score!

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
ELL is a soul-crusher. No reason to be worried yet in my books. Not enough non-ELL sample size with reasonable minutes.

The team is not on the ice, the line is.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If you are referring to games without a goal, it's actually 26 games including last season playoffs and regular season.

I'm referring to this season. Hence the "9 games".

He's been just as "good" as Wheeler and Scheifele so far this year, he just A) hasn't had the PPP and B) didn't have a fortunate night like Scheifele did last night with 2 easy goals.

None of our top 6 has played great outside the LA game and the third last night.

Wheeler and Scheif get the benefit of the doubt, but never the young guys who are just as good offensively.

It's not like he's going to shoot 0% for the rest of his career.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Which one is he handling then?
Laine, JMo, KC, Ehlers, Roslo, etc...
Gimme a break.

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad