Player Discussion: Nikolaj Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Ehlers tear started last year when he scored a hatty against the Oil.

Maybe he just needs to take advantage of some low hanging fruit again

Reactions: GNP

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There is an excellent example currently checked into the Fairmont of panic trading your talent for a quick fix just because, ya'know, "something is off".

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
it would be more reassuring if he was at least playing good but he isn't even doing that. vertanan has more goals.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I believe Ehlers is a creative player who needs confidence and his coach's trust. He's gotten the opposite, always being shuffled around, being taken off the top line after performing very well, and being stuck on a subpar line for almost a full season.

A 6 million contract will look like a steal if Ehlers can return to his normal scoring pace, which i think he would if he was given a better line and lots of TOI to work through his slump. No way would I trade him, especially not now.

I would say that’s partly because he can immediately generate offense no matter where he is playing. That’s a big responsibility for a young guy like him.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Well said Jack -and I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why Ehlers has been shuffled around like he has ?? He needs to get settled with some regular linemates, so he can get his confidence back and start to produce. Ehlers is being "mismanaged."

Hopefully line 2 continues to improve (one game - small sample but I'm optimistic) - I want to see him settle in as well.

Reactions: NikoEhlers and GNP

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm so sick of the ass kissing. See where Lowry scored from? Puljaarvi? If you don't get put on your ass once in a while trying to get a greasy goal, you're playing soft. I hope he gets going, because the wow factor is there in his skating, but the drive is off. The longer he goes without producing, last night's poke at Nurse, for the fly-by, is going to get him in any coach's doghouse.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
I'm so sick of the ass kissing. See where Lowry scored from? Puljaarvi? If you don't get put on your ass once in a while trying to get a greasy goal, you're playing soft. I hope he gets going, because the wow factor is there in his skating, but the drive is off. The longer he goes without producing, last night's poke at Nurse, for the fly-by, is going to get him in any coach's doghouse.
The onus is on the coach here, if he cannot get Ehlers to produce, it certainly is his responsibility. This isnt your NHL Xbox game where you arent dealing with humans. I wouldnt shuffle a whole lot with Ehlers, I think its the only issue here

Last edited:

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I would try out Roslovic on line 2 instead of Little. Little is very north south type of guy and I think his style of play would be great on the third checking line. Ehlers/Laine might benefit from this change.

Reactions: GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The onus is on the coach here, if he cannot get Ehlers to produce, it certainly is his responsibility. This isnt your NHL Xbox game where you arent dealing with humans. I wouldnt shuffle a whole lot with Ehlers, I think its the only issue here
Completely disagree. Ultimately every player is responsible for their own play and coach is responsible for the team's play. Mo may have a lot to answer for, but Ehlers has to take the onus for his own play.

Reactions: sipowicz

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I would try out Roslovic on line 2 instead of Little. Little is very north south type of guy and I think his style of play would be great on the third checking line. Ehlers/Laine might benefit from this change.
roslovic has shown nothing that says he should play on 2nd line. in fact if anything he plays north south too. he should replace ehlers on 2nd line since he plays more like little then ehlers does.

Reactions: jorbjorb

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yeah, that's gonna help....
I agree. Completely wrong way to work him out of the pit that he is in with his self confidence right now. I admit I haven’t been the biggest fan of Ehlers, but I do have to admit also that how he is treated at the moment is complete bullcrap. Almost like Maurice is intentionally wanting to crush his confidence.

In my opinion what Ehlers would very much need now is playing with Scheifele and with clearly more minutes. He is now in a vicious circle that he seriously hasn’t deserved by his previous results.

Maurice needs to take his head out of his ass and realize that what he is doing is not the way how to treat young talented players whom have already proven their capability to play with high class players with 1st or 2nd line minutes. He for sure hasn’t deserved bullcrap like 10-12 minutes per game.

Goddamn I’m getting frustrated!

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I agree. Completely wrong way to work him out of the pit that he is with his self confidence right now. I admit I haven’t been the biggest fan of Ehlers, but I do have to admit that how he is treated at the moment is complete bullcrap. Almost like Maurice is intentionally wanting to crush his confidence.

In my opinion what Ehlers would very much need now is playing with Scheifele and with clearly more minutes. He is now in a vicious circle that he seriously hasn’t deserved by his previous results.

Maurice needs to take his head out of his ass and realize that what he is doing is not the way how to treat young talented players whom have already proven their capability to play with high class players with 1st or 2nd line minute. He for sure hasn’t deserved bullcrap like 10-12 minutes per game.

Part of me agrees with this but I also think that the onus is on the player as well (as probabltwrongbut mentioned), it's not Maurices fault that Ehlers makes poor choices like blindly throwing a pass up the middle of the ice to no one in OT!

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Part of me agrees with this but I also think that the onus is on the player as well (as probabltwrongbut mentioned), it's not Maurices fault that Ehlers makes poor choices like blindly throwing a pass up the middle of the ice to no one in OT!
Can’t also say what you are saying is wrong. But sometimes the coach needs to help a player whom is in the pit with their self confidence. I see this as that kind of a situation, as I believe that Ehlers’s crappy play is mostly due to how horribly low his self confidence is at the moment. He needs the rope to get out of the pit. Not the rough shove in the back that just throws him even deeper to the pit where he is now.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I agree. Completely wrong way to work him out of the pit that he is with his self confidence right now. I admit I haven’t been the biggest fan of Ehlers, but I do have to admit that how he is treated at the moment is complete bullcrap. Almost like Maurice is intentionally wanting to crush his confidence.

Maurice needs to take his head out of his ass and realize that what he is doing is not the way how to treat young talented players whom have already proven their capability to play with high class players with 1st or 2nd line minutes. He for sure hasn’t deserved bullcrap like 10-12 minutes per game.

why on earth should he take connor of that line just to get ehlers going. he is being paid 6 million . he should be able to play anywhere. cant believe some of this entitlement people think young players deserve. blaming Maurice is par for the coarse instead of placing the blame where it really belongs. he should be in the pb not the 1st line. he was horrible for almost half a year now. he played with stastny alot yet scored 1 goal in 40 games and 0 in playoffs.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Can’t also say what you are saying is wrong. But sometimes the coach needs to help a player whom is in the pit with their self confidence. I see this as that kind of a situation, as I believe that Ehlers’s crappy play is mostly due to how horribly low his self confidence is at the moment. He needs the rope to get out of the pit. Not the rough shove in the back that just throws him even deeper to the pit where he is now.
What happened to the attitude that players will be ready to contribute when called upon and it is their responsibility to be ready for that opportunity. Mo showed confidence in Ehlers by giving him 3 on 3 time instead of putting Little on the ice, rope. Ehlers can't blame Mo for his trying to pass the puck to Schief when he is double covered and was trying to skate off the ice.

Reactions: sipowicz

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
I don't know if it's a coaching change or how opponents are playing against Ehlers and Laine but Ehlers hasn't made those little drop passes after the blue line. When they played with Stastny it seemed to work and it usually lead to a good scoring change (mostly because Laine's shot).

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
why on earth should he take connor of that line just to get ehlers going. he is being paid 6 million . he should be able to play anywhere. cant believe some of this entitlement people think young players deserve. blaming Maurice is par for the coarse instead of placing the blame where it really belongs. he should be in the pb not the 1st line. he was horrible for almost half a year now. he played with stastny alot yet scored 1 goal in 40 games and 0 in playoffs.

Do you actually believe that being in the PB would help Ehlers perform better, or is this just stemming from some sense of justice?

People blame the coach because it's his responsibility to motivate and handle players.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Do you actually believe that being in the PB would help Ehlers perform better, or is this just stemming from some sense of justice?

People blame the coach because it's his responsibility to motivate and handle players.
If NHL players, people who are getting millions aren't properly motivated. Spooky. I would agree that it's the coach's job to properly utilize players, which Mo isn't doing. It's also a lot easier to replace a coach than a player therefore they are easier to blame.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Ehlers might be better on another team. I find the problem is not only does he make selfish plays the odd time, but he's too reliant on his speed from time-to-time, doesn't contribute offensively as often anymore and his finishing isn't necessarily up to par. Not necessarily the guy to drive the play, but he's very good at joining rushes and positioning.

I find Laine plays better when he's with Scheifele and Wheeler, not so much with Ehlers. I think Ehlers might play better with Roslovic as I also find he doesn't fit well with Little either.

This is how I might do the lines right now.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Copp-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

I want to see Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers tested out at some point as I truly believe there might be potential for these three to excel together there.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Ehlers might be better on another team. I find the problem is not only does he make selfish plays the odd time,but he's to reliant on his speed but he's too reliant on his speed from time-to-time, doesn't contribute offensively as often anymore and his finishing isn't necessarily up to par. Not necessarily the guy to drive the play, but he's very good at joining rushes and positioning.

I find Laine plays better when he's with Scheifele and Wheeler, not so much with Ehlers. I think Ehlers might play better with Roslovic as I also find he doesn't fit well with Little either.

This is how I might do the lines right now.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Copp-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Tanev

I want to see Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers tested out at some point as I truly believe there might be potential for these three to excel together there.

I don't know how you can say Ehlers is to reliant on his speed ?? Lately he is not relying on his speed enough, and making those offensive charges and opening up ice. In today's NHL that attracts the best players from all over the world-"speed is the name of the game"--and yes speed kills.

Just look at how McDavid used his "speed' to lead the Oilers from a 4-1 deficit in the 3rd period to tie the game up. At first he went right around Trouba, like he was a motionless pylon, and scored a beauty. He then used his speed to start the Jets reeling and backing up in their own tracks, and panicking. You have to use your speed.

In my opinion Ehlers has to use his speed more, and be more effective with it, the same way McDavid uses his speed. Ehlers may not be as fast as McDavid, but he wouldn't be more than a 1/2 step behind him. Get that "speed" going again Niky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad