Niklas Kronwall Norris Contender?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
One thing that really boggles my mind right now, is how Kronwall turned his season around. And that happened after Nicklas Lidström visited at Detroit. I remember Kronwall was absolutely horrible at that game against the Ducks, when Lidström was watching the game with Homer at the Joe Louis Arena VIP-box.

Could Lidström have some conversation with Kronner after that? I really wonder because this turnaround has happen immediately after Kronwall's weakest game of the season. Lidström was there at February 15th and look these stats before and after:

First 14 games:

Kronwall, 14 games, 1+9=10, (0.71 points/game) -9 (-0.64 minus/game), 20 shots, 19 missed shots (1.43 shots on goal/game, 48.7% missed), 11 minor penalties (0.79 pen/game)

Next 9 games after Lidström visit:

Kronwall, 9 games, 2+6=8 (0.89 points/game), +6 (0.67 plus/game), 19 shots, 3 missed shots (2.11 shots on goal/game, only 13.6% missed!), 2 minor penalties (0.22 pen/game)

So more production, better defence, less penalties, he shoots less, but gets more more shots in the net, huge drop especially in missed shots. Not bad! :yo:
Very very "Lidström-like", selective shots, don't shoot in sake of shooting, shoot only when it's reasonable.

I really think our old Master Odin did some "blessing touch" before left back in Sweden and now the Apprentice is carrying the torch like he should do. :)

I don't know did he give some lucky amulet for Kronner or what, but after that he has been a different man. From that scary rookie, to a leading defenceman.

That "on-purpose-missed-shot-board-bounce" -goal against the Avs really impressed me. It was a sight of old Lidström on the point.

Interesting analysis. As I've said before I hope Lidstrom is teaching Mattias Backman everything he knows about playing defense. If Backman can have a nice playoff run then lead the SEL in scoring for defensemen next year he'd put himself in the best position possible prior to coming over to NA.

RedWingsNow*

Re: Dad vs lottery debate:

How much is the lottery?
How much longer do you get to keep dad?

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Go on take the money and run.

Oooo Oooo Oooo

I wouldnt if it was my dad, but there are so many ****** dads out there that a good chunk of people would take the cash.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Go on take the money and run.

Oooo Oooo Oooo

I wouldnt if it was my dad, but there are so many ****** dads out there that a good chunk of people would take the cash.
"2Lets not get all emotional. There is quite a few things I can go without in exchange for alot of money.

You can find a lot of people willing to love you like a mom and dad with 100M. (with 1M as mentioned before that is tougher call).""

Already knew the city of Detroit is set in bankrupcy, the situation though seem worse than one would have thought, from reading theese posts. Many of you are willing to trade your elderly and parents for the right $ and then run? I guess people think like this when their houses suddenly loose all value?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
One thing that really boggles my mind right now, is how Kronwall turned his season around. And that happened after Nicklas Lidström visited at Detroit. I remember Kronwall was absolutely horrible at that game against the Ducks, when Lidström was watching the game with Homer at the Joe Louis Arena VIP-box.

Could Lidström have some conversation with Kronner after that? I really wonder because this turnaround has happen immediately after Kronwall's weakest game of the season. Lidström was there at February 15th and look these stats before and after:

First 14 games:

Kronwall
1+9=10, (0.71 points/game)
-9 (-0.64 minus/game)
20 shots, 19 missed shots (1.43 shots on goal/game, 48.7% missed)
11 minor penalties (0.79 pen/game)

Kronwall
2+6=8 (0.89 points/game)
+6 (0.67 plus/game)
19 shots, 3 missed shots (2.11 shots on goal/game, only 13.6% missed!)
2 minor penalties (0.22 pen/game)

So more production, better defence, less penalties, he shoots less, but gets more more shots in the net, huge drop especially in missed shots and penalties. Not bad! :yo:
Very very "Lidström-like", selective shots, don't shoot in sake of shooting, shoot only when it's reasonable.

I really think our old Master Odin did some "blessing touch" before left back in Sweden and now the Apprentice is carrying the torch like he should do. :)

I don't know did he give some lucky amulet for Kronner or what, but after that he has been a different man. From that scary rookie, to a leading defenceman.

That "on-purpose-missed-shot-board-bounce" -goal against the Avs really impressed me. It was a sight of old Lidström on the point.

How about swapping Lashoff and Ericsson

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
How about swapping Lashoff and Ericsson

Let's not pretend Lashoff's the reason Kronwall was taking so many penalties and was screening his goalie with terrible positioning as often as he was earlier in the season. Kronwall got off to a horrible start and there's no doubt his play has improved, which is awesome. As for Lashoff, in 4 of those first 9 games Henkka mentions Lashoff either was not on the team or was a scratch. Tough for him to weigh Kronwall down as much as you suggest.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Yeah, Lashoff has to be the reason why Kronwall was horrible on the PP with all those missed shots and other stupidity. :sarcasm:

I get a kick out of guys like LeBrun picking Kronwall as their Norris winner for the first half. Dude clearly did not watch a second of the Wings' first 18 or 20 games, sees a bunch of points, and jumps to a ridiculous conclusion.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Kronwall agrees with most everybody in this thread.

The Wings’ Niklas Kronwall entered Thursday night second among defensemen in scoring with 18 points. But he scoffs at the idea he is a Norris candidate. “Stats only say so much, I think,” he said. “I know I need to be better.” He singled out one stat – his minus-3 – and said he needs to be more consistent in his own end and needs to make better decisions with the puck. “I have a few more levels to reach before I’m really satisfied,” he said.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I get a kick out of guys like LeBrun picking Kronwall as their Norris winner for the first half. Dude clearly did not watch a second of the Wings' first 18 or 20 games, sees a bunch of points, and jumps to a ridiculous conclusion.

After giving this some thought I think the best explanation is the same as Jimmeh's rough start: neither guy played during the lockout. As a result they were both very rusty for the first 9-12 games. Howie and Kronner are rounding into form right now and the results over the past 8 games speak for themselves.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yes, because Pavs is -9, takes a bunch of bad penalties and has screened Howie over the past 8 games where we are giving up an average of 0.875 EVS goals against during that time. He also didn't play in the KHL during the lockout dontchya know? Awesome analogy there! :laugh:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

First 14 games:

Kronwall
1+9=10, (0.71 points/game)
-9 (-0.64 minus/game)
20 shots, 19 missed shots (1.43 shots on goal/game, 48.7% missed)
11 minor penalties (0.79 pen/game)

Kronwall
2+6=8 (0.89 points/game)
+6 (0.67 plus/game)
19 shots, 3 missed shots (2.11 shots on goal/game, only 13.6% missed!)
2 minor penalties (0.22 pen/game)

So more production, better defence, less penalties, he shoots less, but gets more more shots in the net, huge drop especially in missed shots and penalties. Not bad! :yo:

That was great to see. I loved it.
Let's not pretend Lashoff's the reason Kronwall was taking so many penalties and was screening his goalie with terrible positioning as often as he was earlier in the season. Kronwall got off to a horrible start and there's no doubt his play has improved, which is awesome. As for Lashoff, in 4 of those first 9 games Henkka mentions Lashoff either was not on the team or was a scratch. Tough for him to weigh Kronwall down as much as you suggest.

Yeah, Lashoff has to be the reason why Kronwall was horrible on the PP with all those missed shots and other stupidity. :sarcasm:

After giving this some thought I think the best explanation is the same as Jimmeh's rough start: neither guy played during the lockout. As a result they were both very rusty for the first 9-12 games. Howie and Kronner are rounding into form right now and the results over the past 8 games speak for themselves.
This might be the reason. Howard has play much better lately. Kronwall a ways better too.
I am not saying Lashoff was the reason or the lone reason Kronwall struggled, but let's not pretend like there were no many posters calling for switching Ericsson and Lashoff.
It is not Lashoff's fault, but I think it is quite simple:
1. Kronwall got a new, much bigger role on the team which was new to him
2. He got a new, unexperienced parter he never played together with whom he had to teach the game.
This is a huge toll for anyone, Kronwall included.
But maybe Babcock thought this would boost both players' confidence.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I dont believe he wins the Norris and really shouldn't for his play at the begining of the year. If he can keep racking up the points I have no problem with him being nominated.

He definitely isn't a Norris winner but he's turning into a great leader for the Wings. Not sure if it was shown on the FSND feed last night but when Brunner went for the empty net twice it was Kronwall who called him over to the bench and next shift instead of dumping it all the way he makes a slick little pass and they end up scoring. Nice to see guys embrace their leadership roles.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not sure if it was shown on the FSND feed last night but when Brunner went for the empty net twice it was Kronwall who called him over to the bench and next shift instead of dumping it all the way he makes a slick little pass and they end up scoring. Nice to see guys embrace their leadership roles.

Yeah, that was nice. It's funny to see how talented but raw Brunner is, but at the same time he is very fast learning things. You either skate or pass the puck over the red line, then try the empty-netter to avoid the icing. Plain and simple.

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012
id say hes making a case to be in the conversation, he his logging 24 minutes, plays in every situation and is second in points. If he keeps this up and improves his play in his own zone and becomes a plus player and Detroit keeps winning, i dont see why he cant be mentioned. He has really been the cornerstone of a weak and injured defensive core this season.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I dont believe he wins the Norris and really shouldn't for his play at the begining of the year. If he can keep racking up the points I have no problem with him being nominated.

He definitely isn't a Norris winner but he's turning into a great leader for the Wings. Not sure if it was shown on the FSND feed last night but when Brunner went for the empty net twice it was Kronwall who called him over to the bench and next shift instead of dumping it all the way he makes a slick little pass and they end up scoring. Nice to see guys embrace their leadership roles.

I don't think Kronwall will or should win the Norris. But let's be honest, not a lot of defensemen have been consistent this season. People are throwing names like Chara, Shattenkirk, Letang, etc. I think Chara wins it, but no one is really having a consistently good season so far.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think Kronwall will or should win the Norris. But let's be honest, not a lot of defensemen have been consistent this season. People are throwing names like Chara, Shattenkirk, Letang, etc. I think Chara wins it, but no one is really having a consistently good season so far.

Except Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
And Lidstrom probably lists all of his Norris trophies for sale on craigslist, and under the item description says "Hockey themed paperweights for the real hockey fan... just realized they aren't nearly as valuable as I was led to believe during my playing days. :("

ROFL! D@mn you. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad