Niklas Kronwall Norris Contender?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
http://lastwordonsports.com/niklas-kronwall-norris-contender/

Niklas Kronwall Norris Contender?

We must remember though that Lidstrom wasn’t always a perennial Norris winner. The younger Nicklas Lidström had been playing second string for quite sometime and there were tons of Detroit Red Wing fans who were highly critical of him and his defensive ability in the mid-90s. Similarly, Kronwall did not come into this year with a solid stamp of approval from most fans and probably most pundits as well.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Judging by his overall play this season I would not consider him a Norris contender yet. If he keeps up how he has played lately maybe. If he continues his solid play while putting up points maybe. Seems like he is settling into his position which I don't believe he was made for or fit for at the beginning of the season. Anything can happen but when I think norris contenders as of now I am thinking chara's, Karlsson's etc not Kronwall.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Judging by his overall play this season I would not consider him a Norris contender yet. If he keeps up how he has played lately maybe. If he continues his solid play while putting up points maybe. Seems like he is settling into his position which I don't believe he was made for or fit for at the beginning of the season. Anything can happen but when I think norris contenders as of now I am thinking chara's, Karlsson's etc not Kronwall.

Duncan Keith

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If he wins the scoring race he'll get votes, but to win he has to play at least above average in own end. He's coming around but he's not really close yet. But points and PK time is always a combo for votes.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
maybe not win but I don't see why he shouldn't contend if he can keep putting up points like this

defensively he'll never be great but he'll be fine if he has a decent partner(read:not Lashoff)

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
He's getting better...I was really down on him early in the season.

He's racking up the points because someone on that blueline has to and we know he's been offensively gifted since joining the NHL. Where he needs to develop is the mental game and he's got to fine tune the actual art of defending. He's always rode shotgun with a more defensive-minded guy and he'd roam in the neutral zone to hunt guys and get involved offensively.

I don't know if he's all-around gifted where he can play solid in his own end, shut down top lines, make good passes out of the zone, deal out the occasional big hit and continue to be the best offensive defenseman on the team. Based on +/-...he's still not there in terms of even strength play. I think he's a good #2 guy...he's got to prove to me he can be a legit #1 after we've watched for two decades what the epitome of what a #1 defenseman should be.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Maybe people will just be so used to voting for Nik from the Wings...

The ballot was confusing! Hanging chads!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Here's why this isn't out of the realm of possibility: he had a disastrous start to the season defensively but seems to be improving and rounding into form. If he can peak defensively in the 2nd half of the season and play consistently well, while maintaining his offensive production, then he will have the stats to support a candidacy and voters will be more likely to remember his stronger defensive play in the 2nd half than his abysmal first 10-15 games. But the points he scored during that early stretch will still count for just as much in the scoring races.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
Here's why this isn't out of the realm of possibility: he had a disastrous start to the season defensively but seems to be improving and rounding into form. If he can peak defensively in the 2nd half of the season and play consistently well, while maintaining his offensive production, then he will have the stats to support a candidacy and voters will be more likely to remember his stronger defensive play in the 2nd half than his abysmal first 10-15 games. But the points he scored during that early stretch will still count for just as much in the scoring races.

Agreed. And if that does happen, there'll be people out there saying he carried the defense on a team with no real #1 or elite d-men on the team.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
They really ought to create another trophy for defenseman with the highest point total. Make it strictly stat based, no judgement.

Then we can all feel better about giving the Norris to the best actual defender.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
It would be pretty darn funny if he did win. Preds fans heads would explode.

And many Wings fans. And probably a few current and former Wings, also.

Howard would be gritting his teeth throughout Kronwall's acceptance speech, thinking back on all of the goals he allowed due to textbook screens created by #55. Since Nik has given up hitting this season, I think the appropriate definition of "Kronwalled" now is: the act of any Wings goalie giving up a goal while being completely screened Homer-style by Nik... Ken Daniels should start saying "Howard was really Kronwalled on that goal!" during games. :naughty:

And Lidstrom probably lists all of his Norris trophies for sale on craigslist, and under the item description says "Hockey themed paperweights for the real hockey fan... just realized they aren't nearly as valuable as I was led to believe during my playing days. :("

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
McCollum - Vezina
Kronwall - Norris
Cleary - Hart
Brunner - Selke
Tootoo - Lady Byng
Emmerton - Art Ross
Abdelkader - Maurice Richard

RedWingsNow*

Like I said at the beginning of the year... Kronwall will get his points. I think the PP will be good. Kronner gets tons of points -- just like Lidstrom did-- feasting on the PP.

But obviously a Norris Trophy is more than getting a bunch of points on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad