Niklas Kronwall Norris Contender?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
He may be excellent offensively, but I don't really trust him on the ice with a one-goal lead late in the game.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The simple fact is if he leads the NHL in D-man scoring he will likely be a contender, not a winner but his name will be discussed. For as poor as he can be defensively at times he is still lightyears ahead of Yandle or Green who have been thrown around in years past for this award, without winning it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Okay, now it's official. Kronwall is the next Lidström, if he can score with identical board bounce that Norris-Nick did. :sarcasm:

RedWingsNow*

The simple fact is if he leads the NHL in D-man scoring he will likely be a contender, not a winner but his name will be discussed. For as poor as he can be defensively at times he is still lightyears ahead of Yandle or Green who have been thrown around in years past for this award, without winning it.

LOL
Kronwall isn't "lightning years" ahead of Yandle or Green.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If Kronwall wins the Norris, we can officially label the award a complete joke.

I thought Karlsson winning it last year was a travesty, but Kronwall isn't 21, so his age made the points he put up more special.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
If Kronwall wins the Norris, we can officially label the award a complete joke.

I thought Karlsson winning it last year was a travesty, but Kronwall isn't 21, so his age made the points he put up more special.
Wait, you forgot the words 'faultery', 'tragedy' blashpemy', 'fraud' 'robbery' and 'mockery' in your post.

And no I do not agree that Karlsson winning was a "travesty" it was well earned

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wait, you forgot the words 'faultery', 'tragedy' blashpemy', 'fraud' 'robbery' and 'mockery' in your post.

And no I do not agree that Karlsson winning was a "travesty" it was well earned

I would prefer the Norris trophy went to a defense man that could play good defense.

Karlsson was all offense and nothing else.

His age and gaudy offensive numbers made it easy for the voters to be lazy and not give it to somebody who actually deserved it.

Lidstrom didn't deserve it the last year he won it, but he was robbed early in his career so it averages out.

IDK why the Norris voters have become so lazy.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
I would prefer the Norris trophy went to a defense man that could play good defense.

His age and gaudy offensive numbers made it easy for the voters to be lazy and not give it to somebody who actually deserved it.

Lidstrom didn't deserve it the last year he won it, but he was robbed early in his career so it averages out.

Read your post, I hade to look up "gaudy".. , synonyms; garish - loud - showy - tawdry - flashy..

I dont agree, Karlssons defense is underrated by many, this is my oppinion and this I can say whitout 'showy' words.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
I wasn't trying to use showy words. I apologize if i offended you in some way.

It's just the way i write.
It's ok, Im kidding whit you, I actually learn completely new English words (for me) from this coversation, its an educational place, this hf board.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Fantastic post game comments in the locker room after the game last night. Kronwall was asked what he isn't satisfied with right now, and he basically said:

- his plus/minus obviously isn't great
- his play in the defensive zone sometimes has been too up and down, getting better but still has work to do
- his decisions with the puck sometimes

When asked if he considers himself a Norris candidate, he sheepishly laughed and said "No, I wouldn't say so." I think it was Trevor Thompson who said "Well, you're 2nd among defenseman in scoring" to which Kronwall said "Well, stats only say so much... I know I need to be better to help this team even more."

I've probably been one of Kronwall's more vocal critics here, but I definitely have an increased respect for him. Not many athletes are that open about their shortcomings to the media, and instead to default to "I've gotta play smarter/harder/focus more" or pull in teammates in the blame game with "WE have to better defensively/offensively, etc."

He basically rattled off all the things that bother me about his play (not that I matter in the discussion) and laughed off any Norris talk. I feel like I know now that getting the A on his jersey wasn't solely based on tenure with the team, and I'll be pulling for him more than usual to improve.

Thus ends my 1 sappy post for the month.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Karlsson is much better on D than you're saying, sounds like you have the initial guy in your mind. He is much more than offense, it is why he can log 30+ minutes a night. He just doesn't hit, he uses his stick and positioning and is very good at what he does.

He deserved the award, it wasn't just Mike Green numbers, the guy played the other teams best players and had a dominant season all over the ice.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fantastic post game comments in the locker room after the game last night. Kronwall was asked what he isn't satisfied with right now, and he basically said:

- his plus/minus obviously isn't great
- his play in the defensive zone sometimes has been too up and down, getting better but still has work to do
- his decisions with the puck sometimes

When asked if he considers himself a Norris candidate, he sheepishly laughed and said "No, I wouldn't say so." I think it was Trevor Thompson who said "Well, you're 2nd among defenseman in scoring" to which Kronwall said "Well, stats only say so much... I know I need to be better to help this team even more."

I've probably been one of Kronwall's more vocal critics here, but I definitely have an increased respect for him. Not many athletes are that open about their shortcomings to the media, and instead to default to "I've gotta play smarter/harder/focus more" or pull in teammates in the blame game with "WE have to better defensively/offensively, etc."

He basically rattled off all the things that bother me about his play (not that I matter in the discussion) and laughed off any Norris talk. I feel like I know now that getting the A on his jersey wasn't solely based on tenure with the team, and I'll be pulling for him more than usual to improve.

Thus ends my 1 sappy post for the month.

Part of why I have always liked Kronwall is this. He doesn't hide from his mistakes and is an accountable guy. He is a leader in that room and a vocal guy, plus an easy interview for the media. Another thing I remember reading is he generally hosts the kids that come up from Grand Rapids at his house. I know a lot of people thought it was cool that Zetterberg did that with Brunner. But I remember reading both Andersson and Nyquist have stayed with Kronwall when they come up. Have a feeling he is going to do the same thing for Jarnkrok and wonder if it is just the Swedes he does this with.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Part of why I have always liked Kronwall is this. He doesn't hide from his mistakes and is an accountable guy. He is a leader in that room and a vocal guy, plus an easy interview for the media. Another thing I remember reading is he generally hosts the kids that come up from Grand Rapids at his house. I know a lot of people thought it was cool that Zetterberg did that with Brunner. But I remember reading both Andersson and Nyquist have stayed with Kronwall when they come up. Have a feeling he is going to do the same thing for Jarnkrok and wonder if it is just the Swedes he does this with.
Nice, no wonder he isn't a very unsympathetic dude though, life hasent been very harsh on him, it seems. Im not a "Kronwall expert", he might have had tough times also dont know. Yet, I remember, after winning everything in hockey, the Worlds and the Olympics, in -06.. he continued on in the summer, while playing golf, to win 1 million Swedish crowns from a lottery ticket, link in Swedish below. I remember thinking -Why him?! And not any other of the millions of people needing thatr money more than him. Some people are born lucky and winners I guess.

http://media.svenskaspel.se/sv/2006/05/30/niklas-kronwall-skrapade-fram-en-miljon/

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
i would vote for bourque over suter in that situation.

How about Paul Coffey? He had 67 points in only 46 games that season.

So who deserved it? Weber? Chara? Visnovsky? Yandle? Letang? Those were the only defensemen who received first-place votes.

So a quick scan gives us this: Lidstrom had the most first-place AND the most third-place votes. Weber had the most second-place votes. Visnovsky had the most #4, Yandle the most #5.

Interestingly, if we take just the votes for a single place, and use that to award each place(starting at the top and awarding places to the highest remaining vote-getter) the top-five it would look like this:

Lidstrom, Weber, Visnovsky, Yandle, Letang. What happened to Chara? It's MAGIC!

Yep, someone who you disagree with is obviously lazy/stupid/whatever. And not at all entitled to their opinion as a professional sportswriter.

Last edited:

Forsse90

Oct 15, 2012
Trollhättan
Nice, no wonder he isn't a very unsympathetic dude though, life hasent been very harsh on him, it seems. Im not a "Kronwall expert", he might have had tough times also dont know. Yet, I remember, after winning everything in hockey, the Worlds and the Olympics, in -06.. he continued on in the summer, while playing golf, to win 1 million Swedish crowns from a lottery ticket, link in Swedish below. I remember thinking -Why him?! And not any other of the millions of people needing thatr money more than him. Some people are born lucky and winners I guess.

http://media.svenskaspel.se/sv/2006/05/30/niklas-kronwall-skrapade-fram-en-miljon/

He actually lost his dad on his 11th birthday.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/landslag/hockeyvm/article14757980.ab

Also, about that lottery ticket. He split the money with the three friends he was golfing with.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Ok, there you go. Luck evens out then, if you wanna compare those things (loosing a dad, winning a lottery)

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. If I lost my dad that young I would trade all the money in the world to bring him back. I really hope you were joking because a father is worth more then lottery winnings.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Yep, I said "If you wanna compare those things" You can decide for yourself If you wanna compare thoose things. No I won't trade a lost dad for a lottery win either

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
One thing that really boggles my mind right now, is how Kronwall turned his season around. And that happened after Nicklas Lidström visited at Detroit. I remember Kronwall was absolutely horrible at that game against the Ducks, when Lidström was watching the game with Homer at the Joe Louis Arena VIP-box.

Could Lidström have some conversation with Kronner after that? I really wonder because this turnaround has happen immediately after Kronwall's weakest game of the season. Lidström was there at February 15th and look these stats before and after:

First 14 games:

Kronwall
1+9=10, (0.71 points/game)
-9 (-0.64 minus/game)
20 shots, 19 missed shots (1.43 shots on goal/game, 48.7% missed)
11 minor penalties (0.79 pen/game)

Next 9 games after Lidström visit:

Kronwall
2+6=8 (0.89 points/game)
+6 (0.67 plus/game)
19 shots, 3 missed shots (2.11 shots on goal/game, only 13.6% missed!)
2 minor penalties (0.22 pen/game)

So more production, better defence, less penalties, he shoots less, but gets more more shots in the net, huge drop especially in missed shots and penalties. Not bad! :yo:
Very very "Lidström-like", selective shots, don't shoot in sake of shooting, shoot only when it's reasonable.

I really think our old Master Odin did some "blessing touch" before left back in Sweden and now the Apprentice is carrying the torch like he should do. :)

I don't know did he give some lucky amulet for Kronner or what, but after that he has been a different man. From that scary rookie, to a leading defenceman.

That "on-purpose-missed-shot-board-bounce" -goal against the Avs really impressed me. It was a sight of old Lidström on the point.

Last edited:

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Yep, I said "If you wanna compare those things" You can decide for yourself If you wanna compare thoose things. No I won't trade a lost dad for a lottery win either

Lets not get all emotional. There is quite a few things I can go without in exchange for alot of money. If I had the choice to grow up an orphan with a 100M trust account or a welfare recipient with a mom and a day I would take the orphan. The funny thing about it is life doesn't let you pick the cards your dealt.

You can find a lot of people willing to love you like a mom and dad with 100M. (with 1M as mentioned before that is tougher call).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad