Niklas Kronwall Norris Contender?

Animus

Mar 10, 2011
Bowie, Maryland
Like I said at the beginning of the year... Kronwall will get his points. I think the PP will be good. Kronner gets tons of points -- just like Lidstrom did-- feasting on the PP.

But obviously a Norris Trophy is more than getting a bunch of points on the PP.

Couldnt agree more. Also his ice time and PK ice time and how many times the opposing team scores while he is penalty killing. As of right now, he doesnt deserve it at all...

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Will he get consideration? Sure.

Should he? Maybe.

Will he win? More than likely not.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
He is playing better lately in his own end, but he needs to keep this offensive pace up to even have a chance.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Like I said at the beginning of the year... Kronwall will get his points. I think the PP will be good. Kronner gets tons of points -- just like Lidstrom did-- feasting on the PP.

But obviously a Norris Trophy is more than getting a bunch of points on the PP.

Yes and no, I don't think PP points matter in the eyes of the voter, if Karlsson had 50 PP points last year he still would've won. But I don't think Karlsson would've won if he had 55 or 60 points rather than his ~80.

Kronwall won't win and shouldn't win and probably won't even be a finalist (unless he leads all defensemen in points by a decent margin).

crashman

There's no way in hell I could support Kronwall for a Norris, and I actually have a pretty high opinion of the guy.

Players like Letang, Yandle and Kronwall put up points because of the players and systems they play with, but by no means are they the best "DEFENSEman" in the league. They need to make another award for most points by a defenseman, the Norris trophy has lost some of its meaning.

Kronwall is a very good offensive player, but the defensive side of his game is straight average.

CloneHakanPlease*

If he is actually in the running, this just further proves that Journalism of all kinds is dead.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Yep, it is a really terrible thing this, that a Redwing defender is concidered amongst the best in the league .. :sarcasm:

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
If he keeps up his scoring pace, he'll be a nominee. Norris is a pretty big reputation award, especially in a year where there is no clear front runner. Fortunately for Kronwall, his reputation around the league is that he's better defensively than Mike Green or EK.

If he keeps playing with Ericsson and not looking like an AHLer defensively he has a legit chance. It's the sad truth. Voters put a lot of stock into numbers without having to watch him every night.

He isn't anywhere close to deserving a Norris, but he needs some legit challengers. Weber's points are struggling but I think he'll be a candidate regardless. Who else stands out? OEL, Pietrangelo, Chara. That's about it. Obviously, I could list 10 guys more deserving than Kronner but as long as he's at the top of scoring he'll get a reputation nomination.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
If he keeps up his scoring pace, he'll be a nominee. Norris is a pretty big reputation award, especially in a year where there is no clear front runner. Fortunately for Kronwall, his reputation around the league is that he's better defensively than Mike Green or EK.

If he keeps playing with Ericsson and not looking like an AHLer defensively he has a legit chance.It's the sad truth[. Voters put a lot of stock into numbers without having to watch him every night.

He isn't anywhere close to deserving a Norris, but he needs some legit challengers. Weber's points are struggling but I think he'll be a candidate regardless. Who else stands out? OEL, Pietrangelo, Chara. That's about it. Obviously, I could list 10 guys more deserving than Kronner but as long as he's at the top of scoring he'll get a reputation nomination.
What's so freaking sad whit that? I don't care how bad he played defensivly this season , others than you, might take in concideration
the fact that he is a physical presence at the blue line, although he hasn't done much hitting this year. Forwards need to keep their head up, AND he is the leading point scorer, thoose things are more than enough for any other fanbase. How many other offensive point producing d-men play physical (have a physical reputation) in this league?

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
What's so freaking sad whit that? I don't care how bad he played defensivly this season , others than you, might take in concideration
the fact that he is a physical presence at the blue line, although he hasn't done much hitting this year. Forwards need to keep their head up, AND he is the leading point scorer, thoose things are more than enough for any other fanbase. How many other offensive point producing d-men play physical (have a physical reputation) in this league?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, why should an actually decent defender get the Norris!?

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids

..It's sad because a player who is below average defensively has a chance to win an award given to the 'Best Defenseman' in the entire league.

Kronwall hasn't been a physical presence in years. 2-3 times a year he'll catch some punk with his head down. Outside of the occasional 'Kronwalls' he's one of the softer d-men in the league. Which isn't a bad thing entirely looking at someone like Lidstrom, but you seem to be mistaking 'physical presence' as defensive ability. Kronwall has neither right now.

As for his points, check out Captain Bob's posts. If he starts producing at even strength, he might have a case. He's far from an offensive dynamo, he's a PP beneficiary.

Dats13DET

Aug 13, 2010
Canada
It's the Norris so who know really knows. He might. I've learned to not make assumptions on who will be awarded the trophey. I thought it was going to go to Shea Weber for sure last year but we all know how that turned out. It was given to Karlsson. It still doesn't make any sense to me when I think about Mike Green's situation a few years back. He put up a ridiculous 73 points in 68 games , was a plus 24 and also scored thirty one goals. Karlsson last year only had 5 more points and was no where no Green's goal total. It's not like Karlsson is better in his own end than Mike Green was in his either. That's some fantastic logic there, NHL. Bravo. So it might go to Kronwall and then again, it might go to Quincey. Maybe this is the year they factor in +/- a lot more. :shakehead

Ps-
Look at Green's totals from the following year where he still didn't win:
GP G A P +/-
75 19 57 76 39

DAH FUQ?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Karlsson won it anything is possible. Sorry but that guy is pretty much a 4th forward on the ice.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Kronwall in my eyes has been good for the Wings on a majority of nights and Detroit fans should be thrilled with his play so far. Many may disagree with me, but they need to realize that he is not nor will ever be Nicklas Lidström number 5. He is however becoming a great defenseman in his own right and going forward he will be creating a new stamp on Detroit’s history as Niklas Kronwall number 55.
We should be thrilled guys. Babcock paired him with Lashoff and Kkronwall struggled. That was no surprise.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
The scary part is that if Detroit could score a goal or two on the PP on the road, Kronwall would be even higher in the defensive scoring race. 10 of his 17 points come at the man advantage. He could easily have 5 more points, at least, if Detroit could score with the man advantage on the road anywhere better than they do currently.

Kronwall is a stud.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
This reminds me of a funny joke. Well cartoon. The picture shows pronger taking his jersey off and the lady bing trophy says don't even think about it pronger. Well that's what I think about kronwell and the norris

Last edited:

His Beardliness*

I can see it happening, but only because Erik Karlsson is injured and all the usual suspects have been disappointing so far.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
All of this is based on even strength production. I did not bother to look at 5v4 production.

Kris Letang has the most points/60 mins of guys who play major minutes. His QoC is decent. He's going to need to put up lots of points, which is feasible. At this point he deserves consideration.

Zdeno Chara plays the toughest competition night in and night out. His points per game trails Dougie Hamilton among B's d-men. I think Chara has a good chance to be a finalist, he can help himself if he can improve his point production.

Karlsson has by far the best Corsi for guys who play decent competition. Slava Voynov for the Kings is not far behind him. Voynov is also nipping at Drew Doughty's heels as far as QoC for the Kings. Voynov destroys Doughty in points per 60 mins, I liked the way Slava played in the playoffs last year, he's a very good young d-man. I don't think he'll get much Norris hype, Doughty is the more likely member of the Kings to get recognition. But it's worth keeping your eye on Voynov.

Oliver Ekman Larsson with Phoenix is playing top pairing mins, the toughest competition and is putting up good offensive production. He clearly deserves consideration.

Alex Pietrangelo plays big mins against good competition but I think Shattenkirk could draw some attention from Pietrangelo in much the same way Suter and Weber probably impacted one another when they were in Nashville.

Shea Weber plays the toughest competition for Nashville but generates no offense. That could keep him from being a finalist this season. I think Ryan Suter probably has a better shot at being a finalist than Weber, he plays the toughest competition for the Wild and is putting up solid offensive production as far as points/60 mins.

Chara, Doughty and Weber are guys who could be recognized due to their quality of competition but are not generating much offense. And we all know the Norris is an award that is geared heavily towards offensive production.

Young guns who deserve consideration are Letang, Voynov and Ekman-Larsson. They are playing solid competition and generating good offensive production 5v5. I'd probably give Ekman-Larsson the nod over both guys but I am very impressed with Voynov.

IMO Ryan Suter would be the favorite right now. The Wings wanted him because he reminded them of Lidstrom. He plays top competition night in and night out and he has very solid offensive production 5v5.

we like our team*

karlsson would probably win again if he hadn't been injured

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think up to this point it's probably Letang or OEL. Pietrangelo has cooled down after a good start. Granted I have not seen an awful lot of some teams, but I've watched most players 2 or 3 times. Chara and Weber need better seasons than this to win. The voting will be very interesting though, offensive numbers will not be as great of a factor as in a normal year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When looking this statistically, it's pretty hard to nominate one.

But I really wonder how big impact Andrei Markov's return has made for the Canadiens. I just have to pick him.

Markov
OEL
Chara

So far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad