Recalled/Assigned: Nikita Zadorov sent back to juniors

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
This was the right move. Zadorov, Ristolainen, Geigorenko, and Girgensons are all better off in their respective lower leagues.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
At the very least Zadorov and Ristolainen will have better Defensive partners in the lower leagues because they would have been stuck with Mike "-82" Weber here.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I have pointed this out on a few occasions and could not understand how posters thought it was in the best interest of this team to play or give preferable treatment to the rookies. Nolan is a players coach, vets come first plain and simple and Ron Ron could not comprehend this philosophy.

Great that we have some leadership back. :handclap::yo:

In what universe did the rookies get preferable treatment :shakehead

People, People dont you remember the shot across RON RON's bow from Miller. He said that you can not win in this league with all of these rookies.

YOU CAN NOT TREAT VETS LIKE CRAP!

Except it really had nothing to do with Rolston, that would have been on Darcy. The Sabres did not 'treat the vets like crap'.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
In what universe did the rookies get preferable treatment :shakehead

Except it really had nothing to do with Rolston, that would have been on Darcy. The Sabres did not 'treat the vets like crap'.

Preferable treatment where they were give roster spots when they weren't ready I'd guess.

I'd rather watch Luke Adam suck in Buffalo, knowing Girgensons is getting quality offensive minutes in Rochester further that part of his game.

Girgensons and Risto don't really look out of place in Buffalo, but would Rochester make them better players in the future? Fans seem to rather watch them here instead of boring vets, at the cost of their development.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Preferable treatment where they were give roster spots when they weren't ready I'd guess.

I'd rather watch Luke Adam suck in Buffalo, knowing Girgensons is getting quality offensive minutes in Rochester further that part of his game.

Girgensons and Risto don't really look out of place in Buffalo, but would Rochester make them better players in the future? Fans seem to rather watch them here instead of boring vets, at the cost of their development.

The thing is the rookies weren't really gifted spots over veterans, the GM simply didn't supply enough veterans/competition. So the fact all those rookies were on the team probably bothered the players more for what it subconsciously signaled to them, which is that the GM essentially conceded the season as hopeless.

If the players are upset that Ristolainen or Zadorov played over Alexander Sulzer, then they're just a bunch of *****. It's understandable that they'd be upset over so many rookies playing, though. Of course, if the team was playing well, then they'd have pointed to the rookies as being a rejuvenating force within the team, so it's all bull****.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The thing is the rookies weren't really gifted spots over veterans, the GM simply didn't supply enough veterans/competition. So the fact all those rookies were on the team probably bothered the players more for what it subconsciously signaled to them, which is that the GM essentially conceded the season as hopeless.

If the players are upset that Ristolainen or Zadorov played over Alexander Sulzer, then they're just a bunch of *****. It's understandable that they'd be upset over so many rookies playing, though. Of course, if the team was playing well, then they'd have pointed to the rookies as being a rejuvenating force within the team, so it's all bull****.

agreed

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

Sulzer is probably better than Zadorov over an 82 game season though. These vets are not worried about Zadorov's develop as they'll probably be on a different team when Zadorov is in his prime. They want the most competitive team.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sulzer is probably better than Zadorov over an 82 game season though. These vets are not worried about Zadorov's develop as they'll probably be on a different team when Zadorov is in his prime. They want the most competitive team.

I'd argue Ristolainen made them a more competitive team than Weber, and with respect to the Nolan era, that's really the only move (the kids were scratched already).

Well, congratz Weber. Here's to going for -30 before the year is out. :handclap:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
pointed to the rookies as being a rejuvenating force within the team, so it's all bull****.
Steve Ott was singing their praises in training camps as just that. Then after he slept walked for the first 20 games of the season it was an easy excuse.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Based on the team interviews posted after the game-day skate, it sounds like they all got pounded the same message and were just spouting it back to the press.

And yeah, most of the problems with this team are not purely on the rookies getting limited minutes but that there was no help brought in by the previous regime.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Based on the team interviews posted after the game-day skate, it sounds like they all got pounded the same message and were just spouting it back to the press.

And yeah, most of the problems with this team are not purely on the rookies getting limited minutes but that there was no help brought in by the previous regime.

by design

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
It's classic Nolan. team building thru drama.

"Management didn't believe in us" "they gave spots to rookies" "let's show them who's boss"

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Anyways....

I'm not sure Grigorenko will ever fit in the NHL. I know I've been defending him tryin to get him ice time but god is he slowwwww, he almost makes Vanek look fast! In fact if I were to compare him with anyone right now would be a poor mans Vanek.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Only time will tell if these moves work out for the better--and even then it will still be speculation. What I do know is with tickets to the Detroit game I was looking forward to seeing the departees play. Still, let the veterans and the bubble boys play themselves off the team rather than cry about special treatment for high picks.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Anyways....

I'm not sure Grigorenko will ever fit in the NHL. I know I've been defending him tryin to get him ice time but god is he slowwwww, he almost makes Vanek look fast! In fact if I were to compare him with anyone right now would be a poor mans Vanek.

Is he really that slow or does his lack of compete and effort make him seem slower than he is?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Is he really that slow or does his lack of compete and effort make him seem slower than he is?
He's not slow he's just not a burner.

It's not his style to put his head down and charge up the ice. He skates with his head up slowing down the play by holding onto the puck and dishing the puck off as he draws guys to him. His biggest (on ice) problem is that since he's not a shifty player he needs to have about 20 more lbs of muscle to be able to pull this off in the NHL. In that regard I would say he needs to improve his edge work more than his actual skating speed.

He plays a style similar to Thornton. Whether he ends up like Thornton or the terrible version of Tim Connolly remains to be seen.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I'd argue Ristolainen made them a more competitive team than Weber, and with respect to the Nolan era, that's really the only move (the kids were scratched already).

Well, congratz Weber. Here's to going for -30 before the year is out. :handclap:

Probably more telling on how bad Weber is. I think FEL or Rochester would have been best for Risto long term. And since this season doesnt matter much, that would have been our best move.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

It's not his style to put his head down and charge up the ice. He skates with his head up slowing down the play by holding onto the puck and dishing the puck off as he draws guys to him. His biggest (on ice) problem is that since he's not a shifty player he needs to have about 20 more lbs of muscle to be able to pull this off in the NHL. In that regard I would say he needs to improve his edge work more than his actual skating speed.

He plays a style similar to Thornton. Whether he ends up like Thornton or the terrible version of Tim Connolly remains to be seen.

I agree with this assessment. I think people are writing him off too soon though. He needs at least another year. The AHL would be ideal for him. I'm interested to see what he will do in his games in Rochester.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

Which would make him even slower :laugh:

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo

I thought Tim Connolly was the terrible version of Tim Connolly? :sarcasm:

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
This decison, like the decisions on Ristolainen, Grigorenko, and Larsson, makes the most sense.

Geeze, the Red Wings seem to let their players marinade in the minors before they become regular contributors. I seem to recall Tatar last season being frustrated at the lack of an opportunity. I'm not advocating such a cautious approach, though it wouldn't hurt, its just that Regier the last few drafts probably was the antithesis to that.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yea, because there's no way Grigorenko will eeeeeever work on his speed. He couldn't possibly get faster. He's as fast as he'll ever be. 19 yr. olds don't develop past 19.

:biglaugh:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

most of the "problems" (as it relates to wins/losses) have little to do with either of those things... in a "why they suck" conversation... it starts and ends with how very little proven talent or high end players they have at the most important positions.

help in the form of veteran depth would allow them to structure a little better... but the results would be little to no different... just like sending down the kids and playing more vets... or bringing in a new coach, isn't going to change where this team is headed in wins/losses

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
most of the "problems" (as it relates to wins/losses) have little to do with either of those things... in a "why they suck" conversation... it starts and ends with how very little proven talent or high end players they have at the most important positions.

help in the form of veteran depth would allow them to structure a little better... but the results would be little to no different... just like sending down the kids and playing more vets... or bringing in a new coach, isn't going to change where this team is headed in wins/losses

I didn't say otherwise. They have poorly slotted players for a number of years and bled talent in the same span. It's like the "Spanish Inquisition" skit. Their problem is... their problems are... their meriad problems are... :biglaugh:

They don't have enough talent and what they did have they've mostly traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad