Recalled/Assigned: Nikita Zadorov sent back to juniors

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Not many guys have "earned" their way this year. Seems like silly gossip to me.
Steve Ott is one of those guys that was sour. Which is hilarious because he was terrible for the first 20 games of the season. And went crying to Nolan that he was happy with the way guys were playing as soon as he got here. I really hope we don't re-sign this guy.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
@SabresProspects 8m
Will Sabres use their two-week AHL conditioning stint first before dispatching Grigorenko back to QMJHL? Hope so.

Interesting

I just don't get it. The veterans played like crap for the first 1/4 of the season. "Respect the veterans" who mailed it in...ugh

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Steve Ott is one of those guys that was sour. Which is hilarious because he was terrible for the first 20 games of the season. And went crying to Nolan that he was happy with the way guys were playing as soon as he got here. I really hope we don't re-sign this guy.

Really? Throws the young guys under the bus the moment they leave town? Some captain.

He'll be gone soon enough so I ain't gonna sweat it.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I'm glad Zad got sent back, he certainly didn't look out of place in the NHL but he will benefit from playing another year of juniors, where he can dominate and help the knights make a Memorial Cup run. As for Grigs, it's good that we can send him to the AHL where he belongs, but it sucks that we can only keep him there for 6 games...and then we know he'll light up the Q

It'll be nice to see them both in the WJCs this year

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Really? Throws the young guys under the bus the moment they leave town? Some captain.

No one threw anyone under the bus to the public. Same type of things that were said to Hamilton "privately" last year. The same way he said some guys told him last year that Grigorenko's conditioning and work ethic off the ice was lacking.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
Pretty sharp words from Tallinder too:

“It’s not about getting the spot; it’s about earning the spot,†Tallinder said this morning inside the First Niagara Center after the Sabres reassigned four rookies, three of them teenagers. “It used to be like that in this organization, too. I don’t know what happened. So I think we’re getting back to the right track here.â€

Seems like a lot of pent up hostility in that locker room on the part of the vets towards the rooks. Bad dynamic to be sure, and just another reason to get the youngsters out of there.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Pretty sharp words from Tallinder too:

“It’s not about getting the spot; it’s about earning the spot,†Tallinder said this morning inside the First Niagara Center after the Sabres reassigned four rookies, three of them teenagers. “It used to be like that in this organization, too. I don’t know what happened. So I think we’re getting back to the right track here.â€

Seems like a lot of pent up hostility in that locker room on the part of the vets towards the rooks. Bad dynamic to be sure, and just another reason to get the youngsters out of there.

I'm sure Tallinder was the first guy in Vanek's face questioning the effort. :laugh:

I'm glad the vets have found their scapegoats for their wretched performance to date. Sure beats looking in the mirror.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I just don't get it. The veterans played like crap for the first 1/4 of the season. "Respect the veterans" who mailed it in...ugh

I agree.

I also acknowledge that their GM mailed it in before/during the summer when he:

1. declared that there will be suffering this year
2. that Grigorenko was automatically going to make the team
3. skipped the search for a new coach
4. kept Vanek who had also mailed it in before the season started.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
the veterans on this team, the vast majority of which have been underachieving all season long are that indignant?

I'm sure Tallinder was the first guy in Vanek's face questioning the effort. :laugh:

I'm glad the vets have found their scapegoats for their wretched performance to date. Sure beats looking in the mirror.

I'm sure Tallinder could put his concerns to Vanek in a certified letter. That way it, much like Vanek's effort here this year, would be mailed in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious if Zadorov and Austin get paired together. Austin is surprisingly mobile for a big man, could be an interesting, large, and physical duo. Zadorov can go show off what he learned over the course of a strong five months around "The Boof".

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I'm sure Tallinder could put his concerns to Vanek in a certified letter. That way it, much like Vanek's effort here this year, would be mailed in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious if Zadorov and Austin get paired together. Austin is surprisingly mobile for a big man, could be an interesting, large, and physical duo. Zadorov can go show off what he learned over the course of a strong five months around "The Boof".

Bennett said Austin is the toughest Dmen to play against

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I agree.

I also acknowledge that their GM mailed it in before/during the summer when he:

1. declared that there will be suffering this year
2. that Grigorenko was automatically going to make the team
3. skipped the search for a new coach
4. kept Vanek who had also mailed it in before the season started.

great points Jacob

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Last year Ruff and his staff often complained about the immaturity of the team then as well. Think this whole "giving" spots to certain youngsters is part of that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They've complained about being immature for a long time -- late game collapses and mental midgetdom go back five or six years.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
Interesting dynamic that giving these guys spots (especially Grigorenko) pissed off veterans royally. Another big downfall to Rolston and Regier was that the veterans were upset with them. One of the first things Nolan said was that you have to respect the veterans
I have pointed this out on a few occasions and could not understand how posters thought it was in the best interest of this team to play or give preferable treatment to the rookies. Nolan is a players coach, vets come first plain and simple and Ron Ron could not comprehend this philosophy.

Great that we have some leadership back. :handclap::yo:

Last edited:

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
Ott was 100% correct in his observations and understands this league, unlike others who ran the Sabres.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007

People, People dont you remember the shot across RON RON's bow from Miller. He said that you can not win in this league with all of these rookies.

YOU CAN NOT TREAT VETS LIKE CRAP!

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The vets haven't pulled their weight this year, but that doesn't mean sending the rooks down is a wrong move. It's what's best for their development.

Why Nolan et al. made their decision is still speculation. Maybe it was pressure from the vets, or maybe it was understanding how hockey players develop. Hopefully the latter.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
lol the "vets" are acting childish.

Time to kick them all out of the door. They all playlike crap and are pissed off because rookies get a chance to play and instead of teach them a thing or two they ***** and whine.

It's good that they send the kids down, but if that was the reason, that's ****ing weak and stupid.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
So much speculation.

I personally am happy with the assignments as I think it is likely the best path for proper development.

It is kind of funny that everyone was getting "a clean slate" and then decisons were made in two games. These decisions were not only made about the teenagers, but towards Enroth.

I think the decision was made to benefit the young guys and the organization long term, show respect to the vets in the room, get control of the hen house.

The good news is that I do not see any call ups drastically improving this team. I think we are going to win more games than we did in the first 20, based upon improved "compete" levels, but not that many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->