Recalled/Assigned: Nikita Zadorov sent back to juniors

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
None of these ROOKIES belong here, Let them grow and become better players at a resonable rate in the level where they can shine.

NOW this team finally has some vision.

Please, the only one who clearly did not belong is Grigorenko. The rest were moved on to get better ice time, but they all played well enough to 'belong' relative to other guys in the bottom of the line-up.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
On the contrary, Girgensons belongs, and I would argue that one or both of Ristolainen and Larsson are back before the season is over.
Agreed. Girgensons, IMO, clearly looks at home in the NHL. Perfect? No, but like Ristolainen IMO, he looks like he will be completely comfortable developing in the national league (most guys can't, and that's what Jrs/AHL are for). Plus, who doesn't love his energy and work ethic? I expect Ristolainen to be back as well. Larsson I think can work on his offensive game in Roch, but I liked his overall game in the brief moments he was given ice time. Zadorov was excellent under the circumstances, but I like his return to London. Grigorenko I'm still trying to figure out, but he's, what, 19?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
London Free Press with Video: Back from NHL, Zadorov wants to dominate OHL

Nikita Zadorov didn’t recognize too many other London Knights defencemen when he glided onto the ice for his first practice back Wednesday at Budweiser Gardens.

“Just Dakota (Mermis),†the six-foot-five Russian, fresh from his Buffalo Sabres odyssey, said. “All the other guys are new. I think we’re going to be a pretty good team. We’ll just keep working together and everything’s going to be good.â€

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Adam Kimelman ‏@NHLAdamK 5m
Also, @BuffaloSabres draft pick Nikita Zadorov added to Russia roster for tonight's Super Series game vs. OHL

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
London Free Press with Video: Back from NHL, Zadorov wants to dominate OHL

Nikita Zadorov didn’t recognize too many other London Knights defencemen when he glided onto the ice for his first practice back Wednesday at Budweiser Gardens.

“Just Dakota (Mermis),†the six-foot-five Russian, fresh from his Buffalo Sabres odyssey, said. “All the other guys are new. I think we’re going to be a pretty good team. We’ll just keep working together and everything’s going to be good.â€

Watch the video with that mumbling awful reporter.

What is Zadorov saying about Montreal and Toronto? I couldn't tell if that was a dig on the city of Buffalo or an implication that our crowds had been quiet this year? Or if i heard it totally wrong.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Assuming Zadorov plays for Russia in the Subway Super Series tonight, he'll be going up against London teammates Horvat and Domi. Check draft thread for stream link.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Watch the video with that mumbling awful reporter.

What is Zadorov saying about Montreal and Toronto? I couldn't tell if that was a dig on the city of Buffalo or an implication that our crowds had been quiet this year? Or if i heard it totally wrong.

I thought he meant it was fun to get to play in those arenas

Who knows how long the interview was but the quote was taken totally out of whatever context it was part of. We did not even hear the question asked. I agree with the second poster who thought he meant it was fun to play in those arenas likely in response to a question about what it's like to play in those places.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@SabresProspects

Zadorov playing his game. Clearing out net front, standing up vs rush. He just put London teammate Max Domi on his back at the RUS blueline

@SabresProspects

Zadorov steals puck in own zone, takes three strides and springs Shiksatdarov on a breakaway. Russia takes 3-2 lead on Team OHL.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 2m

Zadorov (BUF) was clearly the best player for Russia outside their goaltender. Dominant game by him.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Kris Baker ‏@SabresProspects 1m

Zadorov gets his third assist of the evening on Russia's empty-netter. Supposedly tired Russians defeat Team OHL 5-2. Great game for NZ.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He was awesome, and his two assists on the non-empty net goals were both excellent and crucial. He sprang a shorthanded breakaway goal to go up 3-2, and then served up a nice pass to the front of the net on the 4 - 2 goal.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Zadorov (BUF) was clearly the best player for Russia outside their goaltender. Dominant game by him.
Watched him instead of the Sabres tonight other than switching over to Buffalo during Subway Sriracha commercials and he looked good. The OHL team this year is really slow and Zadorov feasted on that. There was one sequence where he lead the rush, passed off the puck and circled around the face-off circle and was still able to cut off the OHL rush the other way.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Watched him instead of the Sabres tonight other than switching over to Buffalo during Subway Sriracha commercials and he looked good. The OHL team this year is really slow and Zadorov feasted on that. There was one sequence where he lead the rush, passed off the puck and circled around the face-off circle and was still able to cut off the OHL rush the other way.
Why would you switch during that commercial?
The girl on there is amazing:
ksn5.jpg

*waits for an infraction for making this a babe thread*

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC

Good. Some positives tonight, at least. Also, who is that chick in this thread? More positives...

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Who knows how long the interview was but the quote was taken totally out of whatever context it was part of. We did not even hear the question asked. I agree with the second poster who thought he meant it was fun to play in those arenas likely in response to a question about what it's like to play in those places.

Why do we have such a ****ing problem with reading comprehension???

IT'S NOT FROM THE ARTICLE. IT'S FROM THE VIDEO ABOVE - in which you can hear the context, actual question, entire answer, and everything else. They didn't even mention the sentence i asked about in the text of the article...only in the video.

It's nothing at all, it was me misunderstanding what he said. But holy **** .... REEEEEEEADDDDDD

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He's going to play extremely well, considering how ****ing heated he was when told about being sent down (thanks Mrs. Yuri). He threw out the "return home" threat likely before being talked down by Nolan et al.... i like how he has handled the issue in the public eye for sure... seems to be saying all the right things about wanting to go dominate the O and play well and get better......but surely any youngster would be angry being sent down when they've gotten a taste of the big show

...and I'd kill to see him play every night because he's EXCITING TO WATCH.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
He's going to be a man among boys down there, absolutely shocked at how NHL ready he looked up here. Hopefully a rock for us for years to come.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nikita Zadorov: There's Nothing Cooler Than the NHL

“It is easier to play in the NHL,” he assures. “For instance, in the OHL you often have nobody to pass the puck to – nobody’s open. Usually the guys just don’t know what to do or where to go. In the NHL, though, everybody’s making themselves available. You have a billion of options to whom you may pass.”

Needless to say junior hockey players don’t just turn pros over night. It’s a learning process and coaches need to guide their young guns through it.

“Mostly I was told that I skate too much in my own zone,” says Zadorov. “They wanted me to play more of a positional defence. Every defenceman has his own sector and that’s what he’s responsible for. You shouldn’t go around and chase everyone trying to get the puck away from them. Instead, you should pay attention to your sector. Although, I think it’s something you learn through the games. I felt a big difference between my first NHL game and the ones after it.”
“I paid attention to defencemen – Tyler Myers, Christian Ehrhoff,” says the Moscow native. “These guys have played in the NHL for a few seasons. I also followed defencemen from the other teams. For example, when we played the Kings I watched Drew Doughty and Slava Voynov. I took notes and tried to learn something from them. In the NHL you can learn something new after every game.”

Despite a great start with the Sabres, Zadorov still got sent back to the OHL and is very likely to compete at the World Juniors for Team Russia, not to mention the Mastercard Memorial Cup next May. Nevertheless, Zadorov would have preferred a different scenario for the season.

“Are you trying to tell me the World Juniors are better than the NHL?” chuckles Zadorov. “Don’t get me wrong. I love my country. I love playing for Team Russia. I’m always ready to go. But the NHL is the best league in the world. There’s nothing cooler than that.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->