Player Discussion Nikita Scherbak - Stay In Yo Lane Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
He looked like he was auditioning for a center role. Backchecking while Chucky watched on. haha

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
He looked like he was auditioning for a center role. Backchecking while Chucky watched on. haha

In a way he reminded me of Galchenyuk when he first came to the team. Hungry, checking, aggressive and playing with urgency. I think he realizes if he plays well he has a chance to make a mark on the team which is what you want to see in rookies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And people say we have development problems. Scherbak's only issue is he needs to bulk up to avoid the injuries he has been facing since turning pro. He has the size, skill, and skating package to be a dynamic player for us. His injuries held back his development.

AHL stats: 23pts/48 games and 41pts/66 games. Lets hope he stays healthy!

Also, I thought we tried him at center in his 1st season? Is he worth a look at center? Or is he a winger who plays opposite side of where he shoots?

they clearly have development issues, so far nothing has changed that. Imo we have one of the top scouts in the NHL, so we should be developing NHLers at a better rate, one like we did pre-Lefebvre. That said Scherbak is highly skilled and has been since he was drafted. But his lack of strength, defensive play, and effort at times impacted his play. I've been saying all along he was not handled well but that said they corrected the mistake later in the season and kudos to Lefebvre to keeping him at RW all year after moving him around in his first season.

I think may people overlook how well Scherbak played last year when you look at things in context. Had he been put with our best snipers, since he's easily our best playmaker, I could see him putting up over 50 pts vs the 41 he had while spending much of his time on the 3rd line with Audette and lesser skilled players like Eisenschmid, Farnham, etc...

As for him at center, it seemed to me as a very poor idea in terms of the timing, his defensive play was a nightmare but as someone that prefers playmakers to be centers it's an interesting idea. For now though I would prefer he just keep it simple. Keep working hard, get stronger and you have a top 6 forward as his skill certainly puts him as a possible 1st liner. He needs to be with guys that can put the puck in the net. Will be very interesting to see if they keep him with Galchenyuk as i have said for some time I think these two would fit together very well if you can overlook their defensive play. With Scherbak being quicker and a better skater, as long as the effort is there he should be fine on the wing. His lack of strength gives him big problems trying to contain players down low or win puck battles so I would keep him at wing although I would prefer Galchenyuk at center so Scherbak can play RW which is his natural position. Put someone like Byron on their LW.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thought he was very good the little he played yesterday...

I'd like to see what McCarron and Scherbak could do in an extended look.

Hemsky is out and Mitchell is done...start the transition.

Next up to be out...Tomas Plekanec
Amen to all of it

Reactions: 417

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Question:

How does Scherbak still have one year left on his ELC after this one if it's his 3rd season in the AHL?

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016
Question:

How does Scherbak still have one year left on his ELC after this one if it's his 3rd season in the AHL?

It's called an Entry Level Slide, where a player who is between 18-19 sign an entry level contract but does not play a minimum of 10 nhl games (which does not include AHL games) will see his contract extended by one year. Yet it's a bit mpre technical because there is some exception to the rule if the player is 19 on september 15 of the first year of his entry level contract and proceed to turn 20 between september 16th and december 31st.

The contract can also be extended by two years if the player is 18 at the moment he signs his entry level contract.

This is what happened with Sherback. The Habs took advantage of the slide for the two first seasons of his contract.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
It's called an Entry Level Slide, where a player who is between 18-19 sign an entry level contract but does not play a minimum of 10 nhl games (which does not include AHL games) will see his contract extended by one year. Yet it's a bit mpre technical because there is some exception to the rule if the player is 19 on september 15 of the first year of his entry level contract and proceed to turn 20 between september 16th and december 31st.

The contract can also be extended by two years if the player is 18 at the moment he signs his entry level contract.

This is what happened with Sherback. The Habs took advantage of the slide for the two first seasons of his contract.

Thanks! How was he able to enter the AHL at 19 (still junior age) from the WHL?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Thanks! How was he able to enter the AHL at 19 (still junior age) from the WHL?

Scherbak is really an interesting case.

He was born on 30 Dec 1995 and he made the cut by one day lol.

Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors.

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016
Well for player coming out of the CHL, there's different rules surrounding the eligibility to play in the AHL.

Players who are drafted out of Europe after an NHL team select them in the draft are eligible to play in the AHL.

Players who are drafted by the CHL first are ineligible to play in the AHL before they are 20 years old before december 31st of that year or have atleast 4 years in the CHL.

European players drafted int he CHL before they are drafted in the NHL are ineligible to play in the AHL.

In the case of Scherbak, he was born December 30th which made him eligible to play in the AHL two years ago because he was about to reach his 20th birthday before the deadline of December 31st.

Hope it's more coherent now. There are some loopholes and specifics to the rule, but this is a simple way to lay it out.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's cool then! It almost like the Habs get a bonus ELC year with him.

I'd say it's the other way around. If Scherbak was born 2 days later he spends another year in the WHL that he sorely needed. Instead he's 19 for 3 months in the season in the AHL and for someone that is lacking physical strength and coming off a major knee injury that summer, it would have been better if if he was in fact born 2 days later and thus would have been in the WHL and this year would instead be just his 2nd in the AHL.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Hopefully he can regain his form and come back up soon. It may take him a while to fully recover from his injury and get back in game shape.

Not sure where he fits in the lineup, but for a team that has trouble on offense, I prefer him to Shaw, Froese, Deslaurier, and Plekanec and De la Rose.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Price relieved that his teammate, Cap Room, has taken over the mantle of the highest line item in the Habs's salary structure.

Hope that takes enough pressure off so he can focus on his game. Let Cap do what he does best and ride the line!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
glad he's back from injury, with McCarron hopefully back soon, at least the Laval games will be more fun to watch with 3 of our 1st round picks there.

Exactly what I was thinking. They still need a few players of interest, to draw a crowd and the player needs a lot of ice time, which he wouldn't be able to get with the big club.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Exactly what I was thinking. They still need a few players of interest, to draw a crowd and the player needs a lot of ice time, which he wouldn't be able to get with the big club.

If he's ready for top nine minutes with us he's ready. Our offense sucks. If he's better than a veteran, he deserves a chance to steal their spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad